Using Evernote for my children's drawings

~Adam

(first post!)

Over the years, my children have made hundreds and hundreds of drawings for my wife and I. We always treasure them, but, have found it very difficult to keep track of them. Eventually, they pile up on the desk, get stuffed in a drawer, or lost and thrown away. Not anymore!

I now scan them into Evernote for permanent keeping! As the day, or week comes to a close, I take any drawings my children have made, scan them into Evernote, tag them or file them into the appropriate folder, and then I can put it in a box, or even throw it away if I need to.

When they're older, they'll thank me for it. I wish I could see drawings I made when I was young.

This is awesome. I actually lucked out and kept a ton of my drawings from when I was young. Past Geoff, at some point, must have decided that all his doodles were worth keeping and stashed them away. Not all of them made it through the years (enter Evernote) but I totally understand the value of having them around. I've even considered "remastering" a few of them, now that I'm a little more skilled at the art.

You should toss your kids Skitch and see what they do with it :)

My mom had saved a few of my drawings that I have since scanned into EN. (I'm 55.). In a similar vein, EN is nice for storing scans of letters & voice messages from friends & family over the years. My father died in 1981. For the year I lived on the other side of the country from him, he wrote me weekly. I saved a few of the originals. But most I've scanned & put into EN & tossed the originals. My mom is 94 and failing. She often leaves me nice voice messages. I keep them in EN b/c I know after she is gone, it will be nice to be able to hear her voice.

Ok, see, it's the above kind of stuff that gets me going about Evernote. Your kid's drawings. Your parent's voices. I work here, blah blah, yeah yeah, I'm supposed to say this, but it's so personal. Mr. Libin likes to walk around saying that we started out as an anti-social service, and I think these kinds of discussions only serve to highlight that. The social media landscape tends to put emphasis on memories gaining importance only when they're socialized with others. Your memory should be rated, liked, and slotted in with other "events". But your memories don't need to be socialized to have significance--and they certainly don't need to be shared. It's your memory, for you to curate and cherish as you see fit.

Anywho, /soapbox off. Thanks for sharing!

My mom had saved a few of my drawings that I have since scanned into EN. (I'm 55.). In a similar vein, EN is nice for storing scans of letters & voice messages from friends & family over the years. My father died in 1981. For the year I lived on the other side of the country from him, he wrote me weekly. I saved a few of the originals. But most I've scanned & put into EN & tossed the originals. My mom is 94 and failing. She often leaves me nice voice messages. I keep them in EN b/c I know after she is gone, it will be nice to be able to hear her voice.

Awesome. Yes, I'm doing this as well.

Mom and Dad are both gone now, but they left behind an immense amount of handwritten notes, typewritten notes, letters, cards and postcards they had received over the many decades. So, I'm scanning ALL OF THEM into Evernote to share with family. It is such a relief knowing that they won't sit stagnant in a box anymore.

• 3 months later...

My 84-year-old grandmother passed away a couple of years ago and as I was helping my mother go through her personal belongings we found an old cigar box filled with love letters that my grandfather had written to her when he was in the Navy and they were dating. Reading his words to her expressing his love in language I thought only existed in the old movies, just made my heart melt. These were letters that my grandmother never shared with anyone while she was living, but must have known that when she went on to be with my grandfather that there would be others to share in this special interaction between them.

I will be borrowing these handwritten love letters from my mother and scanning them into Evernote, to forever keep them.

• 4 years later...

New to Evernote & Scannable - I'm trying to figure out how to go digital/paperless in business & personal (drawings, schoolwork, etc. Thankful for a way to save all the artwork!). I'm still sort of confused as to why I need scannable & evernote & how they interact together (hoping this will come with usage), but it seems that you have to use scannable to scan in documents, then save to evernote? Guess I'll figure it out as I go. And that Scannable makes the scans into pdfs that are searchable. I'd like to know how to save voicemails from my iphone onto Evernote? I didn't realize you could do this, but I've saved a few from my daughter, & also one of my Mother-In-Law that I'd like to save for my daughter so she can hear her voice in the future & remember her by. 

• 1 month later...

Hi wanted to bump this thread, also curious how people are saving voice messages to EN? sounds a great idea.

I love the idea of keeping doodles, photos, letters etc in EN, but are you concerned about how to move it on to the next media type when EN is no more? A handwritten note may still be readable in 50years time but I doubt a pdf or another file on EN will be in existence. 

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, House said:

Hi wanted to bump this thread, also curious how people are saving voice messages to EN? sounds a great idea.

I love the idea of keeping doodles, photos, letters etc in EN, but are you concerned about how to move it on to the next media type when EN is no more? A handwritten note may still be readable in 50years time but I doubt a pdf or another file on EN will be in existence. 

Are you sure about keeping the hard copy stuff for 50 years.  
I'm more confident with my digital files, backups and replication between devices.
An example: If my home burned down, I would walk away with my digital files.

I consider the pdf,/jpg/MP3/html formats ubiquous and safe for the future.
Less sure about other formats.
If necessary, I would convert my attachments to new standard formats

One of the reasons I'm happy with Evernote is the underlying html format. The other products with proprietary formats don't appeal to me.

You specifically mentioned voice messages.  
I just add audio recordings as an attachment to notes; not much different than images.  
If it's voicemail, I use these instructions to save from my iPhone 
- the audio is imported directly to a note in Evernote

Archived