Feature Request: Create notebook option for iOS

C@N

Idea

Hi.

It would be really nice to be able to create a new notebook on iOS.

I admit. It's not something I use everyday but when I need to it's something really silly to go to my Mac just for this purpose.

18 replies to this idea

Ok here are the steps to create a new notebook on your iPhone

1. Open up Evernote on your iPhone

2. Click on "All Notes"

3. Click on the big blue plus button located bottom center of the screen

4. Within the new note you should see the "i" button located top of the screen right of the paperclip icon

5. Click the "i" icon

6. Click the notebook icon, located far left of the icons you see

7. In the search at top type in the name of the notebook

8. In the search results you should see the name you had typed, click the "+" sign to the right of this to create your new notebook

Yes I fully agree that this is not very intuitive we are working on making this an easier flow rather than following the 8 steps I outlined above

I had not created a new notebook in the iOS 7-compliant version of Evernote before seeing this thread today for the first time.  I had done so many times in the previous versions of Evernote for iOS 6, however, and do not remember the process being particularly easy.

But this thread piqued my interest and, acting on the new-found curiosity, discovered it is *very* easy to create a new notebook, either from within the context of all the notebooks at once, or from within a note, when I want to move an existing note into a new notebook.

The developers have been improving version 7.x.x significantly since it first was released.  Not bad at all when the price is 0.  Still not bad when the price is an annual premium membership.

This is still a major irritant for an otherwise fabulous app. Any feedback from the Evernote development team on this would be appreciated. This irksome issue has been here on the forum for over a year. Come on folks! I am a paid account because I really believe in this product. I've picked up other apps because of their interoperability with this app.

Please help a dedicated Evernote user.

just go to Notebooks/edit then you should see New Notebook top left and will let you create a new one quickly :)

This is still a major irritant for an otherwise fabulous app. Any feedback from the Evernote development team on this would be appreciated. This irksome issue has been here on the forum for over a year. Come on folks! I am a paid account because I really believe in this product. I've picked up other apps because of their interoperability with this app.

Please help a dedicated Evernote user.

I am not happy with the new iOS 7 update. I could not for the longest time figure out how to create a new notebook. I finally figured it out, but can't figure out why you buried the "New Notebook" button. What's wrong with a + on the homepage bar for Notebook indicating I want to create a new one? That would be convenient. This is very poor development in my opinion.

• Level 5*

Ok, I mostly upload stuff to save to EverNote and then don't sort for some time. I have created about 100 folders in past versions of Evernote - they are still there, but no way to create a NEW NOTEBOOK now?!?!

Now there is no way to create a new notebook- just read through all the forum stuff about this - I can find NO OPTIONS using the "i" button inside the note, nor on the pull down menu - where did the CREATE NEW NOTEBOOK ability go? This is really really awful!!!

Please Please help -

Edited to add: Where is the "Select a Notebook TAB" referenced by mrp above? That would be a start!

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

It is not exactly intuitive I am afraid. New Note --> "i" icon --> Notebook --> Find or Create new Notebook --> Type in the name of a new notebook --> + sign.

Ok, I mostly upload stuff to save to EverNote and then don't sort for some time. I have created about 100 folders in past versions of Evernote - they are still there, but no way to create a NEW NOTEBOOK now?!?!

Now there is no way to create a new notebook- just read through all the forum stuff about this - I can find NO OPTIONS using the "i" button inside the note, nor on the pull down menu - where did the CREATE NEW NOTEBOOK ability go? This is really really awful!!!

Please Please help -

Edited to add: Where is the "Select a Notebook TAB" referenced by mrp above? That would be a start!

To create a notebook via the iPad app (because there is no "i", as on the iPhone...)

Create a new note.

In the "Notebook:" field, click the blue ">" icon.

In the search field at the top of the popup, where it says "Find or Create Notebook", enter the name of your new notebook.

8 convoluted steps to add a notebook??? You better check what's in your UX designer's coffee. Here's a free tip:

1: select the Notebook tab at the bottom

2: Change the search bar to "Find or Create a notebook".

3: done. Case closed.

Ok here are the steps to create a new notebook on your iPhone...

Thanks. The instructions in the Knowledge Base are not much help.

https://support.ever...questionID=3102

True, it says "in the note editor", but it took this forum thread to clarify for me how it's done. Like others, I was trying to use the search box in the Notebook tab of the note editor-- oops, i mean the Notebook tab of the app!

Whoa. What a lot of posts. I never thought that it could go this huge with something this minor. :D:D

Anyway. It's confusing. No dilemma there. :)

Even though we need a dedicated "create new notebook" button, that current implementation when creating a note is neat. Kind of a time saver. So just adding a dedicated button would be nice.

Looking forward to upcoming updates.

• Level 5*

hi david. confusing, isn't it!

not the "i" in notebooks (where you might think it ought to be), but the "i" in your note. open an old note, or make a new one (you have to be in edit mode), then press "i" to get your options. i knew i wasn't the only one who had trouble!!!

You can. When you hit 'i' to change notebooks, just type in the Find window. If you type the name of a notebook that doesn't exist, it'll create that notebook instead.

Sounds good, BUT, using the iPhone 4, if you hit "i" the screen turns over and gives you the option to sort. If you enter a "new" notebook name in the search box the "i" goes away ??

David in Wichita

• Level 5*

i think the op's question, and my own lack of knowledge about it (illustrated in another thread where i mistakenly told someone this feature did not exist) suggests that the notebook creation method is not terribly intuitive. at least, i think it might be worth revisiting. "i" doesn't exactly scream "creation" to me, and it doesn't help that "i" works differently elsewhere in the app.

Archived