(Archived) A way to filter Evernote notes from email to a specific notebook/

Seth G.

Hi Seth, welcome.

One thing is to set your default folder to a particular notebook. Mine is set to "Inbox" and everything I send via email gets put into that notebook. This can be set in (Mac, Windows may be different) Preferences -> Clipping which has at the top "By default, place all clipped notes into the following notebook". This also applies to emailed notes.

For individual emails you can put "flags" on the subject line.

@Recipes will put the note into the notebook named Recipes

#sugar-free will tag the note with the tag sugar-free

So an email with the subject:

Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies @Recipes #sugar-free

would create a note with the title "Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies" in the notebook named "Recipes" and will tag it with "sugar-free".

Hope it helps!

You can also search your default notebook (e.g. inbox) for notes via email gateway. e.g.

notebook:inbox source:mail.smtp

You could then select all these notes and move them to a specific notebook.

Hi Seth:

If you are using Windows, do the following to set a default notebook. Look at the left side of your notebook list and you will see one with a gray arrow pointing to it, that is your default notebook now. You can change it by selecting any other notebook and right clicking on it, you will see a window open with properties listed. Click on properties and you are given the option to "make this my default notebook" just add the check mark and now the gray arrow points to the notebook you just selected. At this point all of your E-mail will just drop into this notebook. You can change the default notebook at any time. Hope this is a help and welcome to Evernote.

David in Wichita

You can also search your default notebook (e.g. inbox) for notes via email gateway. e.g.

notebook:inbox source:mail.smtp

You could then select all these notes and move them to a specific notebook.

Wow, Owyn. This is an amazingly geeky but highly useful tip. I never thought of doing that. Works like a charm.

• 6 months later...

would create a note with the title "Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies" in the notebook named "Recipes" and will tag it with "sugar-free".

the tagging doesn't work for me.

the tagging doesn't work for me.

Are you putting the notebook/tag info at the end of the subject line? Otherwise, EN doesn't know where the notebook/tag info starts & the true subject line begins. Also, the notebook & tags must already exist in your EN account.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a default notebook set for my clipped notes and this post just explained to me why my e-mails were all going to my web clipping folder. Thanks :)

My issue is that my e-mails go to the default folder even when I assign a destination notebook in the subject line of the email, like"@notebook". Is there anyway to keep my web clippings going to the default notebook but have my emails override that when they're labeled with a destination notebook?

• 5 months later...

I want to filter emails I received from a mailing list (Subscription if you will). I have set up a filter within Gmail and emails from it should go into my default notebook called 'Inbox' in the Windows desktop client.

How can I specify in the filter I want the mail to go to my 'Food and Recipes' notebook? I receive these emails once a month so the emails will not be large.

Any ideas?

• Level 5*

I want to filter emails I received from a mailing list (Subscription if you will). I have set up a filter within Gmail and emails from it should go into my default notebook called 'Inbox' in the Windows desktop client.

How can I specify in the filter I want the mail to go to my 'Food and Recipes' notebook? I receive these emails once a month so the emails will not be large.

Any ideas?

Skip Gmail for this functionality. It doesn't give you enough control. I'd suggest that you look at the IFTTT and Zapier services for this. I've been able to trigger on emails from specific addresses and turn them into notes in specific notebooks, with specific tags using Zapier.

Any ideas?

Skip Gmail for this functionality. It doesn't give you enough control. I'd suggest that you look at the IFTTT and Zapier services for this. I've been able to trigger on emails from specific addresses and turn them into notes in specific notebooks, with specific tags using Zapier.

Are you able to show me an example of how this works?

• Level 5*

Basic procedure:

First, you go to Zapier and sign up.
You should find yourself on the main Zapier dashboard.

Go to this link: https://zapier.com/zapbook/gmail/evernote/113/save-gmail-emails-evernote/, which will give you a basic GMail -- Evernote template.

Click on "Start Using This"

On the GMail side, click on the dropdown that says "New Thread". You get 3 or more choices. Pick one.

On the Evernote side, make sure that "Create Note" is selected.

Click on Continue

Select a GMail account, and click on Continue.

Select an Evernote account, and click on Continue.

Select GMail filters (this is documented, and you can always click on the "Get Help" button on the right-hand side of the screen). Click Continue.

Fill in the Create Your Note information (also documented). You can pick a notebook and tags, etc. Click Continue.

You can try out your new Zap with fake date, or skip and continue to name the new Zap and make it live.

Any ideas?

Shiraz, if you use http://InQloud.com it will create an a special email address in your Google contacts for each of your Evernote notebook.

Then simply use the address corresponding to your 'Food and Recipes' notebook in the forwarding Gmail filter.

...or use the excellent/free gm2en.com script (http://www.harryonline.net/evernote/send-google-mail-to-evernote/226:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Hi there

When I send and email to my Evernote address and use a folder tag with a space in it (e.g. "@Jordys Laptop"), Evernote just leaves the note in the default folder rather in the one specified. Is there a problem with having a space in the folder name, of which I have quite a few?

Cheers

Glynne

Archived