Feature Request : link to search query

danielairy

Idea

Similar to note link, but when clicked, a search query is performed and notes that you want to work together will be readily there for you.

One could create a search link via Hyperlink>create search link or drag and drop a saved search on to the note.

Reply +1 if you want this feature :)

• Like 4

32 replies to this idea

This is a very good idea in my view. I'd personally use it a lot

Jefito, favorites bar is not as good for multiple resons, first of all it can't be unique for each note and the amount of saved searches you can have is very limited, not to mention you can't organize them; secondly it's not available across all platforms.

:)

• Level 5*

Salient quotes are:

Reply +1 if you want this feature :)
0 - Favorites bar works fine for me.

I didn't say that either was better, but I do I think it highly unlikely that I would use this, which was why my vote was 0. I use tags to group related notes together, and it's dead easy in the Windows client to search for notes with the same tag from any one note that has the tag (Shift+Click on the relevant tags in the note info panel). I only maintain about 8 saved searches at a time (and replace ones that are no longer relevant), and only use 3 or 4 of them with much frequency. Depending on which machine (home or work) I am using, the frequently used searches go onto the favorites bar. Aside from that, I tend to use ad hoc searches, in the same way that I search on Google, which most people seem to be able to use without saving searches.

This idea would be useful in the use case of shared notebooks.

It can be used to separate topics within the notebook, either by searches of tags/etc... (in a contents page for example)

As for the technicalities of it...beyond me...

From this discussion, it appears that the Name of the note on My Favorites bar is from a search? It has the Name on a Note listed; when clicked it takes me to that note. Is this the saved search mentioned here? What feature did I choose to get this? How do I change the items shown on Favorites Bar? Thanks for any feed back.

This is the most appropriate place I could find for this Q. Maybe I should start a new Topic for this Question?

• Level 5*
From this discussion, it appears that the Name of the note on My Favorites bar is from a search? It has the Name on a Note listed; when clicked it takes me to that note. Is this the saved search mentioned here? What feature did I choose to get this? How do I change the items shown on Favorites Bar? Thanks for any feed back.

No, I think that that's just a note link.

A Saved Search is exactly what it says it is: if you define a search in the Search area ( a search for text, or a tag, for example), then you can save it as a Saved Search (File / New Saved Search...) -- you just need to supply a name for it. It will appear (in Windows) in your Saved Searches panel, at the left side of Evernote's window, and if you click on it, the search will be performed again.

+1

I use Personal Brain and link to a lot of Evernote Notes. If I could link to a search this would allow for dynamic updating of the links. Very nice! :)

So the use case is that I teach classes. I am inputting information and material into Evernote. I could link the Evernote search for the class to the Personal Brain item and have a dynamic link that shows me all the Evernote material related to that class. Nice!

• Level 5*
I use Personal Brain and link to a lot of Evernote Notes. If I could link to a search this would allow for dynamic updating of the links. Very nice! :)

You can always create a link to Evernote's ENScript.exe program, and use its showNotes option to send a search query to the Evernote client. For example:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q "tag:MyTag"
  • Like 2

Awesome tip Jeff! I couldn't figure out how to get spaces into my tag search "OA3501 Inventory Theory" so I changed the tags to "OA3501-Inventory-Theory" and it works like a charm.

• Level 5*

Glad that that worked for you folks. ENScript is a nice tool, but it tends to go unnnoticed. It's like a secret weapon for Windows Evernote users.

+1

I would use (and need) this for dynamic outlining. The outline is an indented list of hyperlinks based on searches. Yes, tagging gives similar functionality, but I want to execute the search from within a note, not the Toolbar or the Tag list.

I would like to have an outline within a note with my comments and images to use as a Dashboard.

Search hyperlinking (like note hyperlinking) would work on mobile and desktop. I'm aware you can drag and drop a search on the Toolbar, but I need it within a note and to also work on mobile... thanks.

• Like 1

I tried jefito's ENScript, changed the tag to something in my list, but nothing happens when I click the link. Evernote is editing the link to:

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Evernote/Evernote/ENScript.exe%22%20showNotes%20/q%20%22tag:Domains

I have verified the directory is correct for my system and in fact, if I remove everything after ENScript.exe, Evernote will try to execute the file... just having trouble sending the options to it.

Any thoughts?

That would help, but adds another step in the process, which is already trying to solve a "missing feature".

I will use this until I figure out a way to improve the process

btw, this is what I have so far:

c:/program files (x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe (file:///c:/program%A0files%20(x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe) works

c:/program files (x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe (file:///c:/program%A0files%A0(x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe) works

c:/program files (x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe (file:///c:/program%20files%20(x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe) works

"c:/program files (x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe" (file:///%22c:/program%20files%20(x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe%22) doesn't work

file:///c:/program files (x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe showNotes /? (file:///c:/program%A0files%20(x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe%20showNotes%20/?) doesn't work

file:///c:/program files (x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe showNotes /? (file:///c:/program%A0files%A0(x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe%A0showNotes%A0/?) doesn't work

file:///c:/program files (x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe showNotes /q project (file:///c:/program%A0files%20(x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe%20showNotes%20/q%20project) doesn't work

file:///c:/program files (x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe showNotes /q project (file:///c:/program%A0files%A0(x86)/evernote/evernote/enscript.exe%A0showNotes%A0/q%A0project) doesn't work

All directly in an evernote note.

+1

That would be really handy. I'm currently creating an index document of notes dealing around a particular case number, and while Evernote offers to create an index note with links, it won't update that note as new related documents get added. A search link for the case number would solve this extremely elegantly.

+1 for being able to link to saved searches, but would prefer a more robust linking mechanism which would not break if the saved search gets modified.

A query string syntax at the end of an evernote: URI would be similarly useful. It could reuse the same syntax as for regular Evernote searches, except url encoded. The Evernote user interface should allow any search to be saved to the clipboard as a URL encoded string which could be pasted into any note or external application. Retaining the sorting would also be nice tho have.

This would help tremendously for those who like to run their GTD process entirely within Evernote, because it would allow building notes which dynamically point to various views of a given project.

I dislike the command line option because it is not cross platform, and I use Evernote on many platforms.

You can always create a link to Evernote's ENScript.exe program, and use its showNotes option to send a search query to the Evernote client. For example:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q "tag:MyTag"

Thank you so much! This option is good enough for me!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, g-wert said:

+1

I want to use shortcuts to complicated search-querys in specific notes, not global in the favorites-list.

Workaround for this can be to use something like PhraseExpress to create a hotkey to search for highlighted text.  In my use case Alt-Right mouse click copies the line I am hovering above and executes the search.  Not quite what you are requesting but a hold the Alt key away.  The hotkey is comprised of:

{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON -count 3}{#CTRL -chars c}{#CTRL {#ALT -chars f}}{#CTRL -chars v}

1. Triple left click to highlight the line.
  2. Ctrl-C to copy the line.
  3. Ctrl-Alt-F to go to the search bar (or whatever your default hotkey is)
  4. Ctrl-V to past the search term.
  5. Enter.

Reads more complicated than it is, works instantaneously for me.  FWIW.

在 2016/11/1 在 AM4點10分, CalS說:

Workaround for this can be to use something like PhraseExpress to create a hotkey to search for highlighted text.  In my use case Alt-Right mouse click copies the line I am hovering above and executes the search.  Not quite what you are requesting but a hold the Alt key away.  The hotkey is comprised of:

{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON -count 3}{#CTRL -chars c}{#CTRL {#ALT -chars f}}{#CTRL -chars v}

1. Triple left click to highlight the line.
  2. Ctrl-C to copy the line.
  3. Ctrl-Alt-F to go to the search bar (or whatever your default hotkey is)
  4. Ctrl-V to past the search term.
  5. Enter.

Reads more complicated than it is, works instantaneously for me.  FWIW.

Another alternative way is to leverage keyboard short cut.

e.g. Microsoft keyboard mouse center.

Here is my setting in Chinese(pic) to set specific macro for evernote

image.png.1c49bd789893a3317c52dd9e12ba9089.png