(Archived) REQUEST: "Folders" on the favorites bar

mrgoerend

Idea

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I'm, not sure what facilities the Evernote for Mac client's Favorites bar provides; on the Windows client, you can drag a notebook, a tag or a saved search up there, among other items.

I'd like to be able to drop multiple items on top of themselves to create a "folder." For example, today I have three notes I'll be using often during my classes. I'd like there to be a "folder" (it would look and act like Notebooks) called "Today" that when I clicked it, it would drop down and give me access to those three notes. Does that make more sense?

I realize I can put multiple items on the favorites bar, but my notes usually have longish names and I can only fit 3 or 4 notes on the favorites bar before they spill into the arrow thing. (I apologize for not knowing the correct names for these features.)

• Level 5*

There's no way to do that the way that you want to: put arbitrary notes on a dropdown list. But you can always just tag those items specially (say, "Today"), and put that tag on the favorites bar. Click on it, and you have a list of those notes in your note view. When you've finished with an item, delete the tag from it. I do this all the time: at work I tend to work have at most three projects at a time active, with multiple documents per project, so I tag them all generically as work items, and specifically by their project name. As projects come and go, I drag their specific tags to/from the favorites bar, and they're right there for me.

By the way, there's a cool thing that I discovered on the Windows client; don't know if it's available on the Mac: note history (Alt+left arrow, alt+right arrow) includes the state of the note list, so if I use the above filters, I can scan back to get to a previous state using Alt+left arrow. This is super convenient: I'm working on a particular project, oops, a question comes up, so I need to look at a note in a different project: click on that projects tag in the favorites bar, find the info and do something with it, then skip back to where I was before.

There's no way to do that the way that you want to: put arbitrary notes on a dropdown list. But you can always just tag those items specially (say, "Today"), and put that tag on the favorites bar. Click on it, and you have a list of those notes in your note view. When you've finished with an item, delete the tag from it. I do this all the time: at work I tend to work have at most three projects at a time active, with multiple documents per project, so I tag them all generically as work items, and specifically by their project name. As projects come and go, I drag their specific tags to/from the favorites bar, and they're right there for me.

That's a great idea. Thanks.

Archived