(Archived) REQUEST: Plain text option

zeldman

Idea

I love Evernote, but why is there no preference setting to save text as *text*? Evernote only saves as rich text - and always with errors. :( 90% of the time I want to save text content as plain text, not as styled text (with errors). It makes me have to copy and paste from Evernote into Textedit before using text in Illustrator, Word, or an email message. A pointless extra step.

Attached is a typical notebook entry. The first paragraph was wrongly converted to small Times New Roman for some reason. This often happens! The remaining paragraphs are Helvetica. The actual text I copied and pasted was unstyled plain text! And that's what I wanted. But Evernote applied someone else's default (Times Roman) to the first paragraph, and my default (Helvetica 13) to the rest. Selecting text and attempting to change (or at least unify) the font doesn't work. There is no option to convert to plain text.

post-89259-0-31957900-1331137768_thumb.j

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I have this request too. I want an option for plain text. I don't want to simplify formatting. I want the note to strictly be plain text with all formatting gone and disabled.

Hi. You'll be glad to know that a plain text option now exists. Please update to the latest client and go to Format > Make Plain Text. It works fantastically!

:) pgdahl, here are just a few of the keyboard shortcuts added in the past 5 months: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/5476be63-6b2f-40b1-b410-612ad642f70c/a1729a5c4f7356264d753051421803df

I didn't even highlight the ones we added to let you navigate the sidebar.

Aye, I am painfully aware that you do add new keyboard shortcuts, most recently the bewildering addition of ⌃⌥⌘N, which I have commented enough upon.  For now.

The fact that you have added more keyboard shortcuts (some of them even quite useful, thank you!) just makes the lack of keyboard shortcuts for simple tasks as changing views, making new audio/FaceTime-notes, converting a note to plaintext or the like that much more conspicuous. 

• Level 5

In the mean time, you can add your own keyboard shortcuts for any menu item as follows:

- Launch System Preferences

- Click on Keyboard

- Click on the Keyboard Shortcuts tab

- Click on the + button

- Set the application to Evernote

- Type "Make Plain Text" in the Menu Title field

- Put your cursor in the Keyboard Shortcut field

- Type the shortcut you want

• Level 5*

I have this request too. I want an option for plain text. I don't want to simplify formatting. I want the note to strictly be plain text with all formatting gone and disabled.

Hi. You'll be glad to know that a plain text option now exists. Please update to the latest client and go to Format > Make Plain Text. It works fantastically!

At least it works. It feels odd that the formatting line in the editor is still there, though. Anyway, a keyboard shortcut is needed to make this any kind of useful - it is faster for me to copy the text into TextSoap (or whatever you use) to "plain text" a note rather than mousing all the way from my right monitor to the menubar on the top of the left monitor and then all the way back ...

I'd like a keyboard shortcut as well, but I haven't found it to be a big deal myself.

Oh, I don't expect we'll get one ever. it's just another one of the mysteriously missing keyboard shortcuts.

You never know :)

The developers read this forum, and they've given us plenty of shortcuts before. It never hurts to ask!

At least it works. It feels odd that the formatting line in the editor is still there, though. Anyway, a keyboard shortcut is needed to make this any kind of useful - it is faster for me to copy the text into TextSoap (or whatever you use) to "plain text" a note rather than mousing all the way from my right monitor to the menubar on the top of the left monitor and then all the way back ...

I'd like a keyboard shortcut as well, but I haven't found it to be a big deal myself.

Oh, I don't expect we'll get one ever. it's just another one of the mysteriously missing keyboard shortcuts.

• Level 5*

@Randible, I use Shift + Command + V all the time. If you look in "Evernote Preferences -> Shortcuts -> Paste to Evernote" it shows Shift + Command + V as the default. You can set the shortcut to anything you want (as long as it isn't already in use).

Bump. +1. Up Vote.

Please FTLOG add a preference to make plain text the default (Mac version specifically).

I find that I spend an inordinate amount of time fiddling with formatting (especially bullet lists) than simple writing the note.

• Level 5*

The Windows world may be different. In Word for Windows, you can paste a clipping as unformatted text into your document. And also, in the Windows world, when you clip from Evernote, it offers the clipped text on the clipboard in several formats, including HTML (or rich text), ENML (Evernote's own format) and several flavors of just plain old ordinary text. A clipboard-aware program can deal with whichever format suits it best, or several, a la MS Word. I don't know how this is all handled on the Mac, though.

If you're looking to copy plain text, I recommend FormatMatch. Evernote will hopefully change this in the future, but FormatMatch gives you the functionality you're looking for, and universally (not just in Evernote), right now.

Also, though there aren't conclusions beyond yours (you were totally right when you wrote, "There is no option to convert to plain text"), if you're interested in more discussion on this, search the forum for "plain text." It has been discussed a lot.

Archived