(Archived) HOWTO: Change PDF title

robminnaert

Idea

When I scan a document into evernote, or put pdf's in evernote from email or whatever source, I have no control over the file name. Once the pdf is attached to a note, I'm stuck with a file names "scan025389163764839" or something like that.

Has anyone come up with a way to change the filename? In windows, it's slightly easier to go to the attachment in the file explorer, and you could change the name there, but there's no way to do it on the Mac, no "open in Finder" in the context menu. You can't rename a file when it's opened, so the only option would be to use "save as", import the new file, and delete the original.

There must be a better way.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

i don't know about after you put it into evernote, but what i do is scan to a folder (your scanner ought to enable you to choose the destination), ocr them, and retitle them with my own system. then, usually shortly before my monthly cycle ends, i dump them all into evernote. i could scan them directly into evernote, but that would end up being more work, because i want to title them myself.

I've had good luck with Scandrop (from Officedrop, an Evernote trunk partner). You scan the document into Scandrop, where you can change the filename, assign the notebook and tags, delete pages you don't want (such as the back of a magazine article), or scan a completely unrelated document and add it to the same note. Then Scandrop sends it quickly and painlessly to your Evernote web account.

• Level 5*

When I scan a document into evernote, or put pdf's in evernote from email or whatever source, I have no control over the file name. Once the pdf is attached to a note, I'm stuck with a file names "scan025389163764839" or something like that.

Has anyone come up with a way to change the filename?

Currently there is no way to change the file name after it is attached to the Note.

Your only options are:

1. Change the file name PRIOR to attaching/importing to the Note.
  2. Copy the file to your OS, change the name, and reattach to the Note, then delete the original attachment.

This may be an added feature since this question was asked, but if you view the PDF as an attachment in the note (as opposed to in inline) you can rename it. Just right click on the file and you get an option "rename attachment". Select that and you get a dialog window to rename the file. Once you're done save it and viola, file is renamed.

Archived