(Archived) (Archived) Unable to conveniently edit notes on Android that contain images. Why?

OrganisedSid

Hi.

Any note that contains images always looks like the attached screenshot "2012-03-02_00-31-20.jpg" - notice the area circled in red. It's always like that, and it always means that i can't edit it as i can other notes. When i click on the area circled in red, the screen looks like the attached screenshot "2012-03-02_01-05-08.jpg". It means that i can't copy and paste, and can only edit one line at a time. Really not practical at all.

IS this flaw known to the Evernote team?

Cheers

Jeff

post-82896-0-27571800-1330650692_thumb.j

post-82896-0-15241900-1330650705_thumb.j

• Level 5*

My Android setup looks pretty similar, and when I tap in the area which says "note content" I get to add text (or edit it if there's some already there). Don't understand "can only edit one line at a time" - surely editing normally works only one character at a time..??

Hi gazumped

Well, edit mode shouldn't look or behave like that - it only allows me to edit one line at a time(when i click on anywhere, only that line appears in the edit box that you see in the 2nd screenshot in my above post).

Edit mode should look like this attached screnshot (note that i use a HTC Sensation). Note that there is NO edit box, and that's how it should be where i can freely edit(copy and paste) anywhere within the note and not just one line at a time, and when i click on somewhere the keyboard comes up and allows me to add what i want without that restrictive textbox in my first post appearing

post-82896-0-32399700-1330657456_thumb.j

post-82896-0-23575300-1330658091_thumb.j

• Level 5*

Hi Sid - no biggy, but if you check your name in the postings, then look at this one, you'll see I'm gaz (or The Great GazootmJef if you want to be formal :))

Agreed the editing paradigm (always wanted to use that word in a real sentence) seems to have changed - see this post (via Facebook - sorry). If I edit a text / RTF note I get a different edit screen that if I hit a note containing a clip or a picture. NB I'm not editing the picture, just adding/ changing text above or below it. Is this the influence of Skitch?

Anyway - unless / until one of the Herd ambles round to update this, your workaround may be to set up text-only notes if you want to edit content, and keep picture notes for headings and keywords. As long as you tag or name consistently the separate notes should show up as effectively as if they were one.

Hi The Great Gazoo :P

Thanks for getting back to me.

Sorry, I'm not sure where on earth browncoat came from. Wonder if i was looking at another thread at the time or something.

-----------------

Iit's a possibility that it may have somehing to do with Skitch, but i it seems to have been like this for ages (i think skitch is a recent partnership?). Thanks for the FB video. Mine seems to look somewhat different to that. I think that's what it looked like on my old Motorola.

Anyway - unless / until one of the Herd ambles round to update this, your workaround may be to set up text-only notes if you want to edit content, and keep picture notes for headings and keywords. As long as you tag or name consistently the separate notes should show up as effectively as if they were one.

Or use a competitor instead ;). I don't have much faith in it being fixed anytime soon, unfortunately.

TGG got promoted from "Browncoat" to "Operative".

I don't do a lot of edits on the Android client, but, I see the same behaviour.

The Evernote client editor should not be impacted by Skitch.

TGG got promoted from "Browncoat" to "Operative".

so i didn't imagine it then. Maybe i just had a quick ,look above his profile pic to remind myself of Gaz's username because that seems like a natural place to look for someoens usename.

Skitch isn't installed (i can't see the point of the app because it seems like somethign with such narrow usefulness and application), but maybe there is something within Evernote code to change the editing mode if there is a pic present.

• Level 5*

I think that the Android editing is still a work in progress; they seem to be slowly chipping away at providing the seamless editing we would all prefer. There are Evernote posts on the subject, from Xavier (xdelplanque), if I recall correctly.

In that case, when it's fully sorted out it will be be near ideal. The only problem that i've encourntered is as stated above when there are at least 1 pic in the note. I seem to remember on my old phone that rich text editing wasn't even possible.

Xavier is a username on this forum?

I hope the Evernote guys can get it sorted .

Hi OrganisedSid,

When a note created on another client is edited with Evernote for Android, you may experience some limited editing capabilities.

The reason is that the current version of the app doesn't support yet every formatting offered on other platform.

To preserve the full formatting of your note, the editor uses a different mode that we call the web editor. You can identify it by the grey bar and the 3 dots at the top of the note content. This editor is very similar to the one provided by Google doc on Android. It allows you to edit each individual part of the note and append a note at the top or the bottom.

In your case, it maybe due to picture added "in line". Android doesn't support this format.

We are working on making this process clearer and improving the experience.

I get this same issue when I add bullets or horizontal lines from my PC. After adding that type of formatting I get the more difficult editing experience on my Android. I guess I just have to learn to not use bullets or horizontal lines :( Even though I don't need the featuers offered in the Premium version I was considering getting it just to help support this wonderful program. Unfortunately, this little issue makes EverNote far less appealing to me. I'll try to get used to editing one line at a time for now since I'm not going to take the time to go through all my notes and remove bullets/lines. I look forward to seeing an improvement in this area. Thanks xdelplanque :)

Even though I don't need the featuers offered in the Premium version I was considering getting it just to help support this wonderful program. Unfortunately, this little issue makes EverNote far less appealing to me.

I'm the same. This and the other formatting issues on Evernote means that it's not a practical option for full time use, so no premium membership from me.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine has suddenly started doing this since the lastest upgrade. I've had EN on my tablet since November.

it never happened before. i've used the "attach file" to add pictures and PDF files to the note in windows and have been able to edit them easily on my tablet without the edit box. this new upgrade has really caused me to rethink my premium. it has suddenly become unusable.

Archived