(Archived) REQUEST: Graphics card requirement

karlanke

Idea

This is basically a feature request - unless there's a good reason for the current system, would it be possible to set whatever flag is required for mac apps to not request the discrete graphics card on machines with an integrated and a discrete card? I would love to leave Evernote open all the time, but it is currently the only app I routinely have open that triggers a switch to discrete graphics. I use gfxcardstatus, and could set it to integrated by hand, but i invariably forget to change it before starting vmware or plugging in a monitor, and then I always spend some time cursing before figuring it out.

Thanks!

13 replies to this idea

Count me in on this one too! I also use gfxCardStatus and also forget to set it back to dynamic or discrete. I am using a Henge dock so I have to undock again and switch graphics cards because the MacBook Pro won't even come all the way out of sleep while on integrated.

So, uhh "pretend" that I don't know a lot about this. There's an easy way for an app to say, always use the integrated graphics card if available and a bunch of apps do this?

So, uhh "pretend" that I don't know a lot about this. There's an easy way for an app to say, always use the integrated graphics card if available and a bunch of apps do this?

So uhh, why does evernote, a simple note taking application, need my discrete graphics card WHENEVER it's open? I use gfxstatus to force the use of integrated graphics, but thats bad programming on the part of Evernote. Come on

I also noticed this. Can't think of a good reason why Evernote would need to use the more powerful graphics card. It's pretty irritating to be forced to use a whole bunch more power, have faster battery drain and run hotter because of what should be a light-weight, quick note-taking program

I can understand that there is some graphics card use. What I don't understand is why it needs the discrete graphics card as opposed to the integrated one. The integrated graphics card should be more than powerful enough for any thing Evernote could conceivably want to do. The integrated card handles full screen quicktime video just fine; it is hard to imagine a little animation bringing it to its knees.

I believe Macbooks (as opposed to Macbook Pros) ship with only the integrated card, and they run Evernote fine. Also, when I force the whole computer to use only the integrated card (easiest with gfxCardStatus), Evernote runs fine, so it is clearly capable on running on the integrated card. All it needs is to be told that does not need the discrete one.

Note: I have just seen that there is some further discussion on the topic on this thread:

This is also an issue for me.

Will you finally consider it? Apparently the current version 3.1.2 (255119) still does not address this problem.

Thank you for your attention.

yes. please add my name to the list of people wanting this corrected. Right now I am forced to quit evernote completely because it's requiring my power hungry graphics card as opposed to the integrated card. I run on battery most of the day and the discreet card runs it down very quickly.

Archived