(Archived) What EN needs for me (any my colleagues) to use it...

drtimhill

Idea

I've been playing with EN for a year now, on Mac and iPad. There are many many things to like about the app, but as yet I can't use it for my day-to-day work, nor can I recommend we use it company-wide for TWO reasons:

1. Inconsistent formatting across platforms. If I format a block of text in (say) Courier New on (say) Mac OSX, the note when viewed on iPad appears as Times Roman, and yet another font on the web. I realize it's impossible to make EVERY font work everywhere (what if the font isnt installed?), but EN should at least build-in a base set that is available everywhere so I can get consistency. Switching from a fixed-width font to a proportional font is disastrous when (for example), pasting bunches of source code (ever tried to read JavaScript in Times Roman??).

2. Lack of styles. I'm not talking big fancy bloated Word styles here, just the ability to package up a bunch of simple character formatting (e.g. "10 point Arial Bold Red") into a name that can be applied all at once. Nor do I need EN to "remember" the style after it's applied, all I need is, really, a "macro" that can apply a bunch of manual formatting steps all at once to ease typing and button clicking. Very much like the basic style feature built into Mac TextEdit when editing RTF docs.

In some ways these are trivial asks, but without these the ability to create effective notes and share them for myself and my colleagues is really crippled in EN.

Really hoping the EN team will think about adding these features, they are a must-have for our company.

--Tim

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

1. Inconsistent formatting across platforms. If I format a block of text in (say) Courier New on (say) Mac OSX, the note when viewed on iPad appears as Times Roman, and yet another font on the web.

. . . Switching from a fixed-width font to a proportional font is disastrous . . .

2. Lack of styles. I'm not talking big fancy bloated Word styles here, just the ability to package up a bunch of simple character formatting (e.g. "10 point Arial Bold Red") into a name that can be applied all at once.

. . .

Really hoping the EN team will think about adding these features. . .

I agree that both of these requests would be very helpful.

1. I see no reason that Evernote should ever change between fixed-width and proportional fonts between platforms
  2. I make these type of changes on just about every Note. Having my personally defined Style would save a lot of time.

Any hope for slightly more detailed feedback: possible, being considered, in testing, forget it, anything?

Thanks.

Formatting is something we're always ready to work on. Styles specifically, don't have much to comment other than cross-platform issues like this take a while to implement if we were to

Archived