HOWTO: Keyboard shortcut to trigger web clipper?

mopo

I'm collecting TONS of web clips and I hate to move the mouse cursor to trigger that clipper button.

Is there anyway to "hack" it? I need a keyboard shortcut in Safari, like "cmd+shift+c", so I could clip it without leaving my hands from keyboard.

And better yet, we've got "BetterTouchTool" to map the keyboard shortcut to a touch gesture...

Next time I could "three fingers swipe down" to clip a page, wouldn't that be GREAT????

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Extremely essential.

It would also be nice to have a bulk web clip. The web clipper gets the formatting right most of the time. It would be an if you could ok the format of a bunch of pages and then have the clipping done in the background.

I have a workable solution to the shortcut. Only for Mac though. It may seem complicated but its really not.

Launch Automator

Create a new service

change "Service receives selected" to "No Input"

change "Any Application" to Safari

Make sure Safari is directly under automator

Click Record

Click the web clipper toolbar button

Click Stop on the record panel

Save the service (Name it anything you want)

Open System Preferences

Select Keyboard

Select the Keyboard Shortcuts Tab

Select Application Shortcuts on the Left side list

Click the "+" button under the Right Side list

Set Safari for the application

Enter the EXACT name you saved the service as for "Menu Title"

Assign any keyboard shortcut you want in the shortcut box

Click Add

You can now activate the web clipper with that shortcut in Safari

This works well for me.

One note of caution is that if you change the number or order of toolbar buttons in Safari you will have to re-record the action in the service.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Good news if you have Chrome — they pushed out a new update recently that included support for activating extensions via customizable input.

Steps

Hit: '⌘' + ','

to go to Settings

Then click into the Extensions window

post-115255-0-18901200-1355117541_thumb.

Then just scroll to the bottom of the extensions browser under settings and click 'Configure Commands'.

As seen here post-115255-0-45077700-1355117026_thumb.

Here you can add whatever keyboard shortcut you want (for those who suffer from decision paralysis '⌃' + '⇧' + 'e' or control + shift + e).

My recommendation to make this even easier is to map the capslock key to control (⌃),

If you want to do that in a mac you can under in the system preferences → keyboard → 'Modifier Keys' see image below

post-115255-0-20400200-1355118247_thumb.

For non-Mac users, I'm sure there are good resources online for how to remap a key as outdated as the caps-lock key.

I hope this turns out to be helpful for people!

Cheers,

Mike

Credits to ↬ http://superuser.com...hrome-extension

This is extremely useful. You're awesome for putting the pieces together. :D

I don't think many people know about this, and yet it's been available to us for at least 3 months, but there's no howto pages on google.

Hi Everyone

Good news if you have Chrome — they pushed out a new update recently that included support for activating extensions via customizable input.

Steps

to go to Settings

post-115255-0-18901200-1355117541_thumb.

Then just scroll to the bottom of the extensions browser under settings and click 'Configure Commands'.

As seen here post-115255-0-45077700-1355117026_thumb.

Here you can add whatever keyboard shortcut you want (for those who suffer from decision paralysis '⌃' + '⇧' + 'e' or control + shift + e).

My recommendation to make this even easier is to map the capslock key to control (⌃),

If you want to do that in a mac you can under in the system preferences → keyboard → 'Modifier Keys' see image below

post-115255-0-20400200-1355118247_thumb.

For non-Mac users, I'm sure there are good resources online for how to remap a key as outdated as the caps-lock key.

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Very useful tip, thanks! I'm able to successfully get the clipper to jump down, but is there any way to get my focus onto the popup clipper extension without using the mouse? The less I touch my mouse the better, and it'd be awesome to be able to trigger a clip, and then tweak the notebook, tags, etc. I find that once I get my focus into the clipper pop-up, I can tab between fields, but when the clipper dialog first opens (whether through a click or keyboard extension) tab doesn't seem to do anything.

Odd that the tab doesn't work for you, it definitely works for me. I definitely understand the desire to never leave the keyboard.

Does that happen across all websites? Or if it is generic, you might have something else messing with the way that focus is allotted.

Could it be your operating system? I'm running a Mac w/ Mountain Lion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Steps

to go to Settings

attachicon.giffinding_extensions_in_chrome_settings.png

As seen here attachicon.gifKeyboard_shortcuts_screenshot.png

attachicon.gifModifier Keys in keyboards.png

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the tip, @Mike Pacer.

I'm using the Canary Version 27.0.1441.0 build.  Looks like "Configure commands" will soon change to "Keyboard shortcuts" for all Chrome users:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s18/sh/def2e5f1-82d2-4a91-b42f-829e1abcee27/230dd046e059150f6337d305e4489047

Thanks for the feedback, we are looking into this.

I know it's a pain when users assume every little thing is easy, but ..  this really is easy! OK, I know you have thousands of "easy" things to try and get done on a heap of platforms, and they all interact, etc, etc.

Anyway, many Safari extensions are triggered with keyboard shortcuts (eg. Pocket). Please do look into adding one to the Evernote clipper. Cheers.

One way to solve that problem would just be to bind all keys to silently clip notes. That way, users would have a constant stream of Evernote notes created for every single computer activity they carry out. 

Anyway, good to know you're still working on it. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a workable solution to the shortcut. Only for Mac though. It may seem complicated but its really not.

Launch Automator

Create a new service

change "Service receives selected" to "No Input"

change "Any Application" to Safari

Make sure Safari is directly under automator

Click Record

Click the web clipper toolbar button

Click Stop on the record panel

Save the service (Name it anything you want)

Open System Preferences

Select Keyboard

Select the Keyboard Shortcuts Tab

Select Application Shortcuts on the Left side list

Click the "+" button under the Right Side list

Set Safari for the application

Enter the EXACT name you saved the service as for "Menu Title"

Assign any keyboard shortcut you want in the shortcut box

Click Add

You can now activate the web clipper with that shortcut in Safari

This works well for me.

One note of caution is that if you change the number or order of toolbar buttons in Safari you will have to re-record the action in the service.

Jason, thank you so much for this post! It works beautifully and now I've learned something new about my Mac.

The latest version (6) of the Safari web clipper has good built-in keyboard support -- ` by default to open the clipper. It's configurable, but non-obviously. When the clipper slides out from the side, find your name at the bottom. Clicking on that shows a context menu, including a 'sections' item from which you can configure all the keyboard shortcuts.

It took me a while to actually see the shortcut - I don't see how it's configurable, I can't edit the text boxes. But this is a great help - thanks for sharing!

You're right -- the shortcuts *look* configurable, and I assumed they were without trying, but it seems not. Anyway, it's an improvement.

They are not configurable yet but will be, hopefully in the next 1-2 releases.

Same vague answer as with the bug that prevents users from using Night Owl as default theme in Evernote Clearly. Who is your target audience? I can't imagine any IT pro, writer or a like that want to pay/support a company that pay this little attention to bugs that has such a huge impact. 

• 5 months later...

Am I being thick? Is there a keyboard shortcut to save a clip instead of using mouse/trackpad to click Save? CMD + Enter? CMD + S? Just Enter? 

Help! :) 

On a Mac, "Enter" is <fn>+<return>.

<return> alone doesn't work.

---

But we still get the annoying "related notes" window as the next step.  I understand the utility for shared notebooks, but it drives me batty that I can't shut that option off for my own.

WORKAROUND: <cmd>-w will close the current browser window and at the same time remove the related notes window.

Hoping to see a preferences option for the hotkey soon. The default backtick key on Mac/Safari is used by some other apps, and it's driving me nuts seeing clipper coming up all the time. <g>  One of those little annoyances. Wonderful product, use it every day!

• 2 months later...

Jason Hoyt's Automator suggestion worked well for me - I created the workflow in Automator and then added it to a keyboard shortcut in Keyboard Maestro. Easy-peasey.

Thanks, Jason Hoyt and CogSciLibrarian! I had Automator record me not just clicking the web clipper button but also changing the notebook to my default notebook instead of what Evernote suggested (the suggested tags are excellent, but my notebooks are time-based and EN almost always suggests an older notebook than I'm currently using), and then pressing save. I used Keyboard Maestro to assign a hotkey to it, and it now clips Safari pages directly into my default notebook without my having to do anything further. 

• 2 years later...

Are there any updates for customizable hotkeys in Windows 7/10 to control the clipping extension in Google Chrome? It's been a couple of years and I'm wondering if this has been addressed yet. 

Sorry, I just saw the configuration options to do this. But I've noticed that regardless of what I configure the hotkey to be, it only works once before I have to reset it via the options menu. For example, I use

control + `

and it works once. That particular hotkey combination does not work again, until I go back to the options, select "Keyboard Shortcuts" and click "Done". This resets the hotkey for one more use. I don't actually have to select a new hotkey/combination--I just have to select "Done". This is happening on the current (as of this post) version of Chrome in Windows 10 Pro. I've attached an error log if it helps.

webclipper.error.log.txt

Archived