REQUEST: Evernote for Symbian (Nokia)

planetf1

Idea

There's no native application from that phone, but you can use the Nokia E71 with Evernote in a number of ways:

Email pictures or text notes into your account using the email gateway

View your notes using the mobile web UI (http://www.evernote.com/m)

Submit pictures via ShoZu, which mail into Evernote

Transcribe audio from the phone using something like Dial2Do or reQall, which mail into Evernote

Thanks

Just checking back on status. Still hoping we can get this.

It's great theres web & imap interfaces -- great way of enabling "any" device, but for the best experience we really need a local client. Especially in Europe Nokia is *very* popular.

No doubt the next question will of course also be Blackberry...

Sorry, we can't give any dates for things that aren't ready to ship. However, the Symbian platform is obviously a huge market opportunity for us given the number of phones in use around the world.

Please add my name to the list. I ditched my Windows Mobile Smartphone becuase is was just too buggy (Samsung Blackjack 2) and not have a Nokia E71x. I love the new phone but I am REALLY going to miss using Evernote Mobile!

I love Evernote, but why is a Symbian version a low priority? It would be great to be able to use Evernote on my Nokia N97 and take full advantage of having a high quality camera and keyboard. Nokia and Symbian have the largest market share in the world, even though it's not the most popular in America.

Please let us know if you plan on making a Symbian version and when so I can plan whether or not to make Evernote a part of my life or not. This post alone has over 1580 views - that's a lot of Symbian users. Thanks.

I have been using an SE P990 for longer than I care to remember and it does EVERYTHING (iPhone eat your heart out!!!) I have started using Evernote and need a Symbian UIQ3 / J2MB version for a really neat personal dB system. Can you give a target date for an application?

We don't have a public date for when a native application will be available for your particular device. However, you can get 80% of the way there by creating a convenient address book entry on your handheld for the "incoming email address" that you see on the Settings page of your web account. Then you can quickly send pictures and quick text notes from your device into your account via email. To access your existing content, you'd use our mobile web UI: http://www.evernote.com/m

Hello. For all those fans waiting for an Evernote client on their preferable Nokia (symbian powered) smartphone, there is also a new OS coming out (MAEMO 5 which will power N900 smartphone http://maemo.nokia.com/). In my humble opinion Evernote stuff should get involved in creating a client (or two) for Nokia smartphones. Nokia does have the biggest share in the market, so it is more than reasonable to have its Evernote client.

Thanx,

spada

Symbian version here too please! I've been pestering Remember the Milk to no avail, and have moved over to Evernote because it is easier to send and read notes from an E71. Now embrace the vast majority of smartphone users worldwide please!

I used to use Evernote, and loved it. But sadly, these days I don't use Evernote anymore and have resorted to inferior (but available) options. I really do need a full client for my mobile (Symbian S60 touch screen interface), that can handle offline notes. Until such a client for Evernote comes out, all usage of Evernote will remain visiting the Evernote website once a quarter to see whether a S60 client has materialised or not. Either that or switching to another mobile platform. Great product, love it! Sadly, cannot use it the moment.

I have created a WRT app for Evernote for 5th Edition devices

http://spanishgringo.blogspot.com/2009/09/symbiannote-evernote-for-symbian-my.html

The WRT is fairly limited in its API to allow much more functionality.

I could not follow the Evernote API too well, but it seemed that I would need to pub Java classes on the Symbian side and I only have access to JS, DOM, CSS, HTML using WRT. At least it is something...

Please let me know how it works on 3rd edition devices. My guess is that it will not work because I am using Platform Services 2.0 Beta. Nevertheless, add a comment to my blog post for the app.

It's mind boggling that Evernote doesn't have a Symbian client. Everyone should try spanishgringo's app above seeing as Evernote developers aren't going to come to the party (they should be very thankful to him as without that I would have walked away from Evernote altogether and tried something else).

hi there evernote people,

please create a symbian app soon. We r gr8 app lovers. You must have seen how much the gravity app has been a success. Iam sure if you create a version for us, it will become a hit and will increase your user amount. Please make one for s60v5/s60v3. And never make a java app, please :-)

If Evernote created a Qt version of their client software this would - with a certain amount of customization in each case - cover Linux, Maemo, and recent Symbian phones. Actually it would cover Windows and Mac as well, though I don't see them replacing their existing Windows version.

Someone above pointed out that you could create a J2ME version, based on your BB code. I think this would work well for Symbian phones since they tend to have very good J2ME support. This would also provide support for all the newer J2ME feature phones that Samsung and LG are selling (they are selling tons of these). The J2ME environments on Samsung and LG phones used to be rather poor, but have become much better.

While this won't be quite as good as a native Symbian app for users of Symbian phones, it will be a pretty good solution (better then WRT) and will work on a much greater range of phones.

One other thing. Now that you have released a WRT app, it would appear that you do not intend to release a native Symbian or J2ME app in the short or medium term, so your users must make their decisions based on the WRT app. If my conclusions are not correct then it would be useful to be corrected (though I understand your concerns about commenting on anything that isn't released yet).

Hi

Visited the site today. Evernote sounds useful to me, but I need a (modern) Symbian client. Seems weird that mobile support is a big feature of your product but you've not done one yet :?

I have no interest in "web connection" workarounds that assume ubiquitous net connections that are either too costly or can't be relied on. When I'm trawling Tokyo camera stores as I was recently I just want to look up my notes from previous visits and not have to pay $5 a MB to do it.

So another vote for a native Symbian version with offline storage. I'm currently using a E71 and will most replace it with whatever the replacement is when it comes time to change. If you do that in a reasonable timeframe you have another Premium customer. Unless the competition beats you to it...

Steve

@ spanishgringo

Thx a lot for your app!

I am very surprised that THE mobile platform has been missed out! Symbian is extremely popular in India too! A native symbian client (with both S60v3 & S60v5 support) would be greatly appreciated. I have both N86 & 5800! More and more companies are churning Symbian phones including Samsung, Sony Erricson and LG! Symbian will be going open source (I think they have started the transition already). Also other platforms are inferior compared to Symbian (except iPhone, but even iPhone lacks Multi tasking!). (Android & Palm Pre are still in infancy, WiMo gets more viruses than apps and POOR touch caps, Blackberry is not so popular). Of course those are my views. And I am not going to switch platforms anytime soon. I am sure a native Symbian client would give ever note a HUGE BOOST. And if it may even prompt me to go premium.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

If someone from company is monitoring this thread:

After some trial use of Evernote (web & Windows) I know that I will not use it (and seeing ads :( much until there is Symbian v3 version - not speaking about upgrade. Use with mobile browser is not easy enough for me, and without mobile access the value of service is half.

On the other hand I'm probably not the only one who would be willing to pay few dollars for Symbian version as Evernote seems super useful tool.

STOP WHINING. There won't be a version for Symbian. Progammers at Evernote have seen the writing on the wall. In a few years Symbian becomes a history, its market share is rapidly shrinking. The only phone maker using this user-unfriendly system is Nokia and majority of the devices are low-end without serious internet capabilities. So stop whining, simply go with the flow and buy an modern smart phone like iPhone or Windows Mobile phone. Plus it doesn't require an IQ :D:lol: :lol:

STOP WHINING. There won't be a version for Symbian. Progammers at Evernote have seen the writing on the wall. In a few years Symbian becomes a history, its market share is rapidly shrinking. The only phone maker using this user-unfriendly system is Nokia and majority of the devices are low-end without serious internet capabilities. So stop whining, simply go with the flow and buy an modern smart phone like iPhone or Windows Mobile phone. Plus it doesn't require an IQ :D:lol: :lol:

:evil:

Dave,

What is the official word about the Symbian S60 version of Evernote? Majority of phones are running Symbian are S60v3 and S60v5 not just Nokia N97.

...YES maybe possibly? ... or NO noway hardly unlikely?

There is an army of people asking the very same question. Many of us are premium paying users and I think we deserve an answer. (And we don't mean a link JAR file like this one: http://bit.ly/bwCNqQ. We humbly ask for a proper application.)

It's hard to believe there is not even attempt to think about it.

Please give us a hint or punch into our faces, whatever you think us paying customers deserve.

Thanks.

Sincerely.

We are not working on a generic "S60" application for a number of reasons. Past attempts at generic mobile OS applications (Windows Mobile, BlackBerry) resulted in a lot of frustration due to lowest-common-denominator hardware integration (e.g. cameras), inconsistent networking, interfaces, etc.

Individual Nokia devices are certainly important to us. The Maemo and N97 are good examples. I don't have a date for future releases.

Hi,

The various descriptions (OVI store etc) of the Evernote Sharing Plugin for the Nokia N900 say:'

Evernote is fully integrated into the N900

allowing you to take notes and snapshots and then easily send them

into Evernote.'

So far, I can only upload pictures to Evernote. Which of the note taking applications on the N900, e.g. ConBoy provide

for uploading text to Evernote?

I have not seen an option like 'Share via Services' on any them. Or, does it mean one can

upload pictures with brief annotations and nothing else?

Cheers.

Paul

Hi Dave,

I've just decided on and purchased a Nokia E71 partly relying on the statement on your Welcome screen

"Use Evernote to save your ideas, things you see, and things you like. Then find them all on any computer or device you use".

Did I misread the statement?

Regards, :?

From the E71, you can search and view your notes via our web interface:

http://www.evernote.com/m

You can create and edit text-based notes from that same interface.

You can add pictures to your account quickly by emailing new snapshots from the native camera application to the "incoming email address" for your account (which you can see on the Settings page on the web). If you add this to your Address Book on the phone, this can be a very quick operation.

So you can use Evernote from the E71, but not via a native application yet.

Dear Dave Engberg sir,

If you say programing evernote for symbian "resulted in a lot of frustration due to lowest-common-denominator hardware integration (e.g. cameras), inconsistent networking, interfaces, etc."

Then for our poor soul developing a half client would be welcoming , At least with that half client we can use evernote offline. search the content, tag it , edit it and sync it back . Till such time we would be happy emailing photos / text etc to add the stuff from mobile to evernote.

Unfortunately, "offline" synchronization isn't a half-client, that's a huge full client. Even Android (our #2 mobile platform), doesn't have this capability yet.

Have you been looking into QT development for at least Nokia-platform (and possibly some other ones too)? Does it provide a decent common API layer to build several releases upon, or do these same peculiarities arise?

I see the N97 forum for Evernote has been closed down. Does this mean Evernote has abandoned all Symbian development?

Just when my shiny new computer came with Evernote preinstalled! Grrrrr!!

Dear Dave Engberg sir,

Somedays ago, I posted same topic in Japanese Forum, but got no answer.....

I found "Evernote for Nokia N73" at

http://www.getjar.com/mobile/34031/ever ... nokia-n73/

I downloard it for my N73, Japanese version "SoftBank 705NK", but when I installed, my Nokia said " certificate error, contact the application supplier".

What is that "version 3.x" ? If you can, please do take newest certification?

I am thinking about purchasing a Nokia N8 when they become available, but that would depend on my being able to run Evernote (and Dropbox) on it, similar to my current Android.

Is anyone able to comment on the likelihood?

We don't currently have any native application for that platform, and haven't announced any plans about it.

I.e. I wouldn't buy the phone on the assumption that there will be a full Evernote client, although you should be able to use Evernote via our mobile web interface (http://www.evernote.com/m), and you can also send pictures and other documents from the device into your Evernote account if you put your "incoming email address" into your contacts list on the device.

Hi, I really hope you will consider looking into N8 support. As I understand, you can write on QT which is an open source platform that can be ported to Linux, Kindle DX, Android, Nokia Symbian 3 (and future Symbian 4), and Meego. This sounds like a great thing for developers to get a wider audience. Nokia pushes more phones than anyone else in the world (seriously, check out their world market share, and not just USA), so this is seriously something you should consider.

Note also, QT is widely accepted and even Google Earth was written on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(framework)

Disclaimer, I'm not a developer... but I would really really really love to see Evernote on my Kindle3 and Nokia N8. :D

may be you should take your own advice, Nokia alone sold over 100 million symbian devices last year, 2010, all of the Android hardware vendors together sold less than that, the Nokia N8 released in the last Q sold over 5 million devices. And this people have money since most of those phones where sold unsubsidize with real money. The most successful Android sold 10 million all year. And Apple sold 46 million iOS phones and devices all year. You should also check the market share and sales of app stores, Nokia's Ovi store is in third place behind Apple and Rim, it is bigger than Android's app store.

As a Nokia user, the only thing separating me from a premium Evernote account is a Evernote app for my phone.

Evernote shut down its IMAP service, which provided those of us who use Nokia (you know, "second class mobile citizens") with some good functionality. And, we've been clamoring for an app for Symbian phones, for years.

$45 a year. All I ask is for a dedicated Evernote app. My Nokia N8 would be so happy.

Same here. Premium evernote service waiting for an dedicated app for my N8.

The only explanation is that american companies will support only other american companies.

We do have a full-time engineer working on a WinPhone7 version, which will match up pretty well with Nokia's corporate direction for future phones.

Well you must be a real Sherlock Holmes doing such bright deductions.But how about the current Nokia users that happen to be also Evernote customers?

• Level 5*

It might be time to pause for a moment and take a bit of a breath, dam. It's perfectly fine to ask for Nokia N8 support, however you're probably not going to get very far by antagonizing the Evernote CTO (though he seems to be fairly thick-skinned) or positing conspiracy theories.

My intention was not to offend but to express my amazement to that guy's statement. "So ok we did almost nothing for Nokia users but hey,look it turned out to be really smart of us cos they are jumping in bed with Microsoft anyway.So ppl get smart and buy Iphones/blackberries/palm/android."

Which btw are all american companies. Ok maybe I was wrong:they care more about american customers.

Well, the company that makes Blackberries is Canadian ... but even if it weren't I don't think you have a legitimate point.

Evernote is clearly a pretty smart company -- it'd be hard to argue that, judging by its growth rate. And it's definitely not ethnocentric, judging by the number of localizations (and the fact that one of its biggest emerging markets is Japan). As a smart company, it's allocating its resources where there's most potential for growth, and I happen to think its doing so wisely. You're certainly free to disagree about that ... but given recent developments at Nokia it's pretty hard to see too many growth prospects for Symbian. And given the fact that people generally replace their smartphones every couple of years, even most of the current Symbian smartphone users are probably going to be using something else before too long.

Basically, by switching platforms Nokia has guaranteed the pointlessness of future 3rd-party investments in Symbian -- by Evernote, or anyone else. Anyone who's unhappy with that should address their complaints to Nokia.

• Level 5*
Ok maybe I was wrong:they care more about american customers.

The fact that they have ongoing internationalization efforts cast some doubt on that statement.

Look, all I'm saying is that it's sometimes easier to catch flies with honey rather than vinegar. I think that the fact of the matter is that they have limited resources, and they have to choose what to focus on. Some market segments may get left behind, wisely or unwisely. If they don't choose wisely, then their business suffers, which is bad for them and all of their customers, so you can bet that they've put some thought into their direction.

On the other hand, if you as an Evernote customer feel that you've been wronged or misled (I hope that that's not the case), then that's something else; you should be able to take it up with them and get a resolution.

There's no such thing as a "Symbian" application of the complexity of Evernote ... you need to build for one of the specific profiles of devices to have a UI-based application that can support the features our users expect on one of our clients. (E.g. display of our rich HTML notes.) This means that supporting all of the old legacy phones would require building 3 or 4 different client applications, with very little benefit due to limited new user acquisition on those old phones.

We spent a few months working on an application to run on one of the Nokia-specific application platforms (Web Runtime - WRT), and decided that the end result wasn't going to be satisfactory for a number of technical and usability reasons.

Nokia's huge commitment to Windows Phone 7 has definitely justified this product decision, and we'll be very happy to support the next generation of Nokia phones running WP7 with our forthcoming WP7 client.

I've heard of "upvise" as an alternative for Nokia users (e.g. for e71). I'm going to try it and keep you posted.

Good luck, and sorry for evernote, really a great program but who can do without cell-phone sync these days?

Hi,

why does Evernote not develop an application for Nokia / Symbian phones?

I know, they are not the modernst and most fashion ones since Apple and Google - but they have still a lot of functionality and hardware for the cheapest price...

Theres nothing you can't do with a nokia phone even if you have to wait 0,3 sec longer :)

It's not Ok to exclude one of the most known mobile companies with millions of users just because they do not have a good time for the moment....

:(

So please developers: Lets do a Nokia App...

Hi, I've tested Nokia N97 Evernote version but unfortunately it is not working properly on my nokia N8. The syncing fails every time, it would be really great if you guys could do something about it. I know that nokia and symbian is not so popular these days, especially in the US, but the brand was still representing 30% of smartphones market shares in Q4 2010 which still makes a lot of potential customers. I think evernote is one if not the only app I'd like to have and which is missing on my phone.

Thanks, I hope to hear about you.

Well you must be a real Sherlock Holmes doing such bright deductions.But how about the current Nokia users that happen to be also Evernote customers?

Insulting the CTO of Evernote is certainly not going to help your case.

I know that nokia and symbian is not so popular these days, especially in the US, but the brand was still representing 30% of smartphones market shares in Q4 2010 which still makes a lot of potential customers.

It seems pretty clear this is probably not in the cards.

Insulting the CTO of Evernote is certainly not going to help your case.

Of course, I agree on this

Then I hope people at evernote will reconsider this issue. Just in order to try to be more convincing Nokia is still in the first position in Q1 2011 with 24.2 million smartphones sold and 24.3% of market shares. http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/12858_IDC_smartphone_shipment_figure.php

I'm not either affiliated with Nokia, I'm just a frustrated user with everything I need on my phone except an evernote app ;-)

Archived