REQUEST: Evernote for Symbian (Nokia)

planetf1

Idea

There's no native application from that phone, but you can use the Nokia E71 with Evernote in a number of ways:

Email pictures or text notes into your account using the email gateway

View your notes using the mobile web UI (http://www.evernote.com/m)

Submit pictures via ShoZu, which mail into Evernote

Transcribe audio from the phone using something like Dial2Do or reQall, which mail into Evernote

Thanks

Just checking back on status. Still hoping we can get this.

It's great theres web & imap interfaces -- great way of enabling "any" device, but for the best experience we really need a local client. Especially in Europe Nokia is *very* popular.

No doubt the next question will of course also be Blackberry...

Please add my name to the list. I ditched my Windows Mobile Smartphone becuase is was just too buggy (Samsung Blackjack 2) and not have a Nokia E71x. I love the new phone but I am REALLY going to miss using Evernote Mobile!

I love Evernote, but why is a Symbian version a low priority? It would be great to be able to use Evernote on my Nokia N97 and take full advantage of having a high quality camera and keyboard. Nokia and Symbian have the largest market share in the world, even though it's not the most popular in America.

Please let us know if you plan on making a Symbian version and when so I can plan whether or not to make Evernote a part of my life or not. This post alone has over 1580 views - that's a lot of Symbian users. Thanks.

Nokia does not make apps, and its partnership with Microsoft means that making an evernote app would be making an app for a competitor, as evernote is a competing product of MS' own OneNote. Nokia wont be the ones to make an evernote app if ever.

Is Qt "older" or "crippled"?

Qt is not a device.

But Qt support a wide range of devices for its cross-platform nature.

Official One Note which is implemented by QML(part of Qt) is coming to Symbian, hope you guys really think about it.

If the messages of Evernote is in well-formated XML. Anyone who familiar with it will made the simple Evernote within 1 day, for QML's powerful support of XML parsing and XML display.

Just see:

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/demos-decla ... s-qml.html

and the "XmlListModel" in it

I have been using an SE P990 for longer than I care to remember and it does EVERYTHING (iPhone eat your heart out!!!) I have started using Evernote and need a Symbian UIQ3 / J2MB version for a really neat personal dB system. Can you give a target date for an application?

We don't have a public date for when a native application will be available for your particular device. However, you can get 80% of the way there by creating a convenient address book entry on your handheld for the "incoming email address" that you see on the Settings page of your web account. Then you can quickly send pictures and quick text notes from your device into your account via email. To access your existing content, you'd use our mobile web UI: http://www.evernote.com/m

Hi, I'm a new Nokia N8 user, and I downloaded "NOTEKEEPER" compatible app from the OVI store, also available as a free trial version.

It has the basic options, I have all my notes with me, even offline. For me it's enough.

By

Hello. For all those fans waiting for an Evernote client on their preferable Nokia (symbian powered) smartphone, there is also a new OS coming out (MAEMO 5 which will power N900 smartphone http://maemo.nokia.com/). In my humble opinion Evernote stuff should get involved in creating a client (or two) for Nokia smartphones. Nokia does have the biggest share in the market, so it is more than reasonable to have its Evernote client.

Thanx,

spada

Symbian version here too please! I've been pestering Remember the Milk to no avail, and have moved over to Evernote because it is easier to send and read notes from an E71. Now embrace the vast majority of smartphone users worldwide please!

I have created a WRT app for Evernote for 5th Edition devices

http://spanishgringo.blogspot.com/2009/09/symbiannote-evernote-for-symbian-my.html

The WRT is fairly limited in its API to allow much more functionality.

I could not follow the Evernote API too well, but it seemed that I would need to pub Java classes on the Symbian side and I only have access to JS, DOM, CSS, HTML using WRT. At least it is something...

Please let me know how it works on 3rd edition devices. My guess is that it will not work because I am using Platform Services 2.0 Beta. Nevertheless, add a comment to my blog post for the app.

It's mind boggling that Evernote doesn't have a Symbian client. Everyone should try spanishgringo's app above seeing as Evernote developers aren't going to come to the party (they should be very thankful to him as without that I would have walked away from Evernote altogether and tried something else).

I'm deleting this app off my iPad as there is no app for my phone, and its useless to have Evernote if i cant use it on Symbian devices!!

It doesn't really make any sense that there be no Symbian app, there are millions of Symbian phones out there, and more coming out every other month!

It's nice to see another Evernote user bothered by the lack of a Symbian client but using terms like "Stupid" won't help. The statistics r there for everyone to see how may users Symbian still has and that didn't moved them either.

Seems you're a evernote employee, as shown in your userinfo. So, you might know I'm not talking about a mobile version of evernote's site. I'm talking about a real application that could use, at least the basic evernote's functionality, so we could use it even offline for a later sync.

And a feedback as evernote's user: as you could read on my initial message, I'm a real fan of your company, why are you answering replies by simply sending a link? It's not the way I expect to be threated by your company. Say at least: "No, we don't have plans", or "Use the mobile version". Too bad message for your subscribers...

Br,

Daniel.

If Evernote created a Qt version of their client software this would - with a certain amount of customization in each case - cover Linux, Maemo, and recent Symbian phones. Actually it would cover Windows and Mac as well, though I don't see them replacing their existing Windows version.

a Symbian version will be great,but a useful choice not-symbian,is a Java version. Java is always a good ideas, very portable and actually present in ever mobile phone sell in the world.

attending news about java/symbian Evernote's version, i taste successfully Evernote Mobile , that I discover only today his existence! bye

• Level 5*

I'm deleting this app off my iPad as there is no app for my phone, and its useless to have Evernote if i cant use it on Symbian devices!!

It doesn't really make any sense that there be no Symbian app, there are millions of Symbian phones out there, and more coming out every other month!

i know nothing about evernote on this platform, but i gotta wonder about what you said. i can't argue with that, but with only about 2% market share (right?), i'm not sure you're gonna make your case based on numbers... :)

i do like how this thread started off with an offer of 45 dollars for support!

@ spanishgringo

Thx a lot for your app!

I am very surprised that THE mobile platform has been missed out! Symbian is extremely popular in India too! A native symbian client (with both S60v3 & S60v5 support) would be greatly appreciated. I have both N86 & 5800! More and more companies are churning Symbian phones including Samsung, Sony Erricson and LG! Symbian will be going open source (I think they have started the transition already). Also other platforms are inferior compared to Symbian (except iPhone, but even iPhone lacks Multi tasking!). (Android & Palm Pre are still in infancy, WiMo gets more viruses than apps and POOR touch caps, Blackberry is not so popular). Of course those are my views. And I am not going to switch platforms anytime soon. I am sure a native Symbian client would give ever note a HUGE BOOST. And if it may even prompt me to go premium.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

If someone from company is monitoring this thread:

After some trial use of Evernote (web & Windows) I know that I will not use it (and seeing ads :( much until there is Symbian v3 version - not speaking about upgrade. Use with mobile browser is not easy enough for me, and without mobile access the value of service is half.

On the other hand I'm probably not the only one who would be willing to pay few dollars for Symbian version as Evernote seems super useful tool.

STOP WHINING. There won't be a version for Symbian. Progammers at Evernote have seen the writing on the wall. In a few years Symbian becomes a history, its market share is rapidly shrinking. The only phone maker using this user-unfriendly system is Nokia and majority of the devices are low-end without serious internet capabilities. So stop whining, simply go with the flow and buy an modern smart phone like iPhone or Windows Mobile phone. Plus it doesn't require an IQ :D:lol: :lol:

STOP WHINING. There won't be a version for Symbian. Progammers at Evernote have seen the writing on the wall. In a few years Symbian becomes a history, its market share is rapidly shrinking. The only phone maker using this user-unfriendly system is Nokia and majority of the devices are low-end without serious internet capabilities. So stop whining, simply go with the flow and buy an modern smart phone like iPhone or Windows Mobile phone. Plus it doesn't require an IQ :D:lol: :lol:

:evil:

Dave,

What is the official word about the Symbian S60 version of Evernote? Majority of phones are running Symbian are S60v3 and S60v5 not just Nokia N97.

...YES maybe possibly? ... or NO noway hardly unlikely?

There is an army of people asking the very same question. Many of us are premium paying users and I think we deserve an answer. (And we don't mean a link JAR file like this one: http://bit.ly/bwCNqQ. We humbly ask for a proper application.)

It's hard to believe there is not even attempt to think about it.

Please give us a hint or punch into our faces, whatever you think us paying customers deserve.

Thanks.

Sincerely.

Hi,

The various descriptions (OVI store etc) of the Evernote Sharing Plugin for the Nokia N900 say:'

Evernote is fully integrated into the N900

allowing you to take notes and snapshots and then easily send them

into Evernote.'

So far, I can only upload pictures to Evernote. Which of the note taking applications on the N900, e.g. ConBoy provide

for uploading text to Evernote?

I have not seen an option like 'Share via Services' on any them. Or, does it mean one can

upload pictures with brief annotations and nothing else?

Cheers.

Paul

Hi Dave,

I've just decided on and purchased a Nokia E71 partly relying on the statement on your Welcome screen

"Use Evernote to save your ideas, things you see, and things you like. Then find them all on any computer or device you use".

Did I misread the statement?

Regards, :?

From the E71, you can search and view your notes via our web interface:

http://www.evernote.com/m

You can create and edit text-based notes from that same interface.

You can add pictures to your account quickly by emailing new snapshots from the native camera application to the "incoming email address" for your account (which you can see on the Settings page on the web). If you add this to your Address Book on the phone, this can be a very quick operation.

So you can use Evernote from the E71, but not via a native application yet.

Dear Dave Engberg sir,

If you say programing evernote for symbian "resulted in a lot of frustration due to lowest-common-denominator hardware integration (e.g. cameras), inconsistent networking, interfaces, etc."

Then for our poor soul developing a half client would be welcoming , At least with that half client we can use evernote offline. search the content, tag it , edit it and sync it back . Till such time we would be happy emailing photos / text etc to add the stuff from mobile to evernote.

Hello,

I'm a really fan of Evernote, I love to use it, and I confess I'm not a regular user, I use it at my Windows at work, Mac OSX and Android Galaxy at home, and even on my Nokia N900 (qvernote application). The reason why I'm writing is because I recently bougth an amazing Nokia N9, and the only application I'm missing is yours!

What are your plans for this platform? Why not develop for symbian and MeeGo with Qt for newer Nokia touchscreen phones? Nokia has more users than Palm's platform you've supported... :-)

If you have a beta program for that, please count with me!

Best Regards,

Daniel.

I am thinking about purchasing a Nokia N8 when they become available, but that would depend on my being able to run Evernote (and Dropbox) on it, similar to my current Android.

Is anyone able to comment on the likelihood?

Dear Dave Engberg sir,

Somedays ago, I posted same topic in Japanese Forum, but got no answer.....

I found "Evernote for Nokia N73" at

http://www.getjar.com/mobile/34031/ever ... nokia-n73/

I downloard it for my N73, Japanese version "SoftBank 705NK", but when I installed, my Nokia said " certificate error, contact the application supplier".

What is that "version 3.x" ? If you can, please do take newest certification?

You could try following the instructions here. Hopefully will be understandable if your native language and phone are in Japanese. Good luck!

EDIT: Just be careful if you use any certificate bypass methods that you trust the software source! In the past, I have found some pretty scary-looking apps at getjar.com.

Hi, I really hope you will consider looking into N8 support. As I understand, you can write on QT which is an open source platform that can be ported to Linux, Kindle DX, Android, Nokia Symbian 3 (and future Symbian 4), and Meego. This sounds like a great thing for developers to get a wider audience. Nokia pushes more phones than anyone else in the world (seriously, check out their world market share, and not just USA), so this is seriously something you should consider.

Note also, QT is widely accepted and even Google Earth was written on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(framework)

Disclaimer, I'm not a developer... but I would really really really love to see Evernote on my Kindle3 and Nokia N8. :D

may be you should take your own advice, Nokia alone sold over 100 million symbian devices last year, 2010, all of the Android hardware vendors together sold less than that, the Nokia N8 released in the last Q sold over 5 million devices. And this people have money since most of those phones where sold unsubsidize with real money. The most successful Android sold 10 million all year. And Apple sold 46 million iOS phones and devices all year. You should also check the market share and sales of app stores, Nokia's Ovi store is in third place behind Apple and Rim, it is bigger than Android's app store.

As a Nokia user, the only thing separating me from a premium Evernote account is a Evernote app for my phone.

Evernote shut down its IMAP service, which provided those of us who use Nokia (you know, "second class mobile citizens") with some good functionality. And, we've been clamoring for an app for Symbian phones, for years.

$45 a year. All I ask is for a dedicated Evernote app. My Nokia N8 would be so happy.

jbenson,

don't take it personally, but there's still a pretty shortsighted view on it in your statement.

Where do these Shareholders and Employees live and get their impression from?

Industrialised Countries like our countries.

What is the market portion of industrialised countries nowadays in the mobile phone market?

Pretty much nothing any more.

And it's far from growing as the mobile phone markets in developing countries either.

No matter how few Nokias you're still seeing in the US, it's still the biggest Mobile manufacturer out there - not apple or any of the android manufacturers.

And Nokia knows those markets out there that the other established manufacturers don't understand, and unlike the chinese churns out useable devices.

So there's a far bigger and far more growing market out there that we just too easily ignore and people want to ignore that market due to their shortsighted impression of the total market.

Does that seem a good business strategy to you?

Well there is also that topic on the same subject and that one. In some of them I myself have replyed.

The reason why I started a fresh one is that in the old ones the discussion got a bit hot and maybe it's time to start over.

As I said in the OP ,it seems that Symbian is here to stay for some years ...more than Palm OS :D at list.

I'm sure that there are plenty of evernote users that own a Symbian smartphone and they should be able to enjoy a mobile version of EN just like eveyone else.

I gave up my beloved N8 a year ago and went on the dark path of Android because there was no EN app but as soon as N808 is available I will switch back. Never got used to Android and eversince I made the switch its been a pain to use it.

• Level 5*

a Symbian version will be great,but a useful choice not-symbian,is a Java version. Java is always a good ideas, very portable and actually present in ever mobile phone sell in the world.

attending news about java/symbian Evernote's version, i taste successfully Evernote Mobile , that I discover only today his existence! bye

Glad to hear that you enjoyed Evernote mobile. I think a lot of people don't know about it, so I'll put the link here http://www.evernote.com/m/

• Level 5*

not to stomp on symbian, but i would guess that the growing user base who will use evernote and can afford a premium upgrade (free evernote apps probably don't generate much revenue!) is going to be found in industrialized countries with smartphones running android or ios.

that said, this might be a great opportunity for a third party app to step in and support symbian! rather than allocate evernote resources to symbian, i'd rather see them focused on profits, and hopefully it will generate enough revenue to stick around a long time--a hundred years!

I would love a solid evernote client for my N8 but for now (or forever!) I just use email to send to my evernote account (or email from my evernote account if I think there is something I might need when I'm out) - it works & covers most my needs - I am also looking at simplenote & the symnote - to see if I can further ease the lack of the evernote client - BUT Evernote is too good (for me) to even think of not using it for the majority or my work.

Hi,

why does Evernote not develop an application for Nokia / Symbian phones?

I know, they are not the modernst and most fashion ones since Apple and Google - but they have still a lot of functionality and hardware for the cheapest price...

Theres nothing you can't do with a nokia phone even if you have to wait 0,3 sec longer :)

It's not Ok to exclude one of the most known mobile companies with millions of users just because they do not have a good time for the moment....

:(

So please developers: Lets do a Nokia App...

Hi, I've tested Nokia N97 Evernote version but unfortunately it is not working properly on my nokia N8. The syncing fails every time, it would be really great if you guys could do something about it. I know that nokia and symbian is not so popular these days, especially in the US, but the brand was still representing 30% of smartphones market shares in Q4 2010 which still makes a lot of potential customers. I think evernote is one if not the only app I'd like to have and which is missing on my phone.

Thanks, I hope to hear about you.

Well you must be a real Sherlock Holmes doing such bright deductions.But how about the current Nokia users that happen to be also Evernote customers?

Insulting the CTO of Evernote is certainly not going to help your case.

I know that nokia and symbian is not so popular these days, especially in the US, but the brand was still representing 30% of smartphones market shares in Q4 2010 which still makes a lot of potential customers.

It seems pretty clear this is probably not in the cards.

Insulting the CTO of Evernote is certainly not going to help your case.

Of course, I agree on this

Then I hope people at evernote will reconsider this issue. Just in order to try to be more convincing Nokia is still in the first position in Q1 2011 with 24.2 million smartphones sold and 24.3% of market shares. http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/12858_IDC_smartphone_shipment_figure.php

I'm not either affiliated with Nokia, I'm just a frustrated user with everything I need on my phone except an evernote app ;-)

Archived