REQUEST: Changing displaying size of images

Danny Lin

I'm not meaning resizing an image. I mean, for instance, to make a 1600*1200 image show as 400*300 in the note window, while on opening the image you see the original 1600*1200 one.

I know there is already the feature on Evernote Web. I just don't know if Evernote Windows can do that or not. And if not, would you add this feature in a later release?

• Level 5*

there's no way to display a smaller version of a larger image (a "thumbnail") in Evernote. You could save two copies of the image and link from one to the other, but that's about it for options at present. As a feature request you'll have to wait for some comment from Evernote - actually I'd +1 this suggestion provided we can have an option on display size - either thumbnail or actual size. (I sometimes use images for documents I want to be able to see easily and quickly on my Android mobile, and a thumbnail would be just something else to click on..)

I don't think so, gazumped. There IS already the feature in Evernote Web. Just create a note, upload an image, click on it, and resize it. You'll get a note with the images displayed with sizes you set and with the original copies reserved. I'm very very sure since I've been taking advantages of this feature for long.

What I want is simple - adding this feature also to Evernote Windows. Since I run most of my works on Evernote Windows, it's a lot of work to sync and go to Web version just for making thumbnail views.

• Level 5*

I appreciate you can click and drag image sizes, but I'd stick by my earlier comment - there's no way to set a standard thumbnail size for all images. Anyway I agreed with your comment - it would be nice if we could.

• 3 months later...

I don't think so, gazumped. There IS already the feature in Evernote Web. Just create a note, upload an image, click on it, and resize it. You'll get a note with the images displayed with sizes you set and with the original copies reserved. I'm very very sure since I've been taking advantages of this feature for long.

What I want is simple - adding this feature also to Evernote Windows. Since I run most of my works on Evernote Windows, it's a lot of work to sync and go to Web version just for making thumbnail views.

Im not getting this resize option. Have clicked and tried to drag sides, that does not work, have clicked and rightclicked, not that either. How do you change the size in the web version?

• Level 5*

Nope, never seen this capability either. Can't resize the note in Evernote. The web client does seem to try to scale a large note to the note window width, but that's all under program control, not user control. I'd be interested in seeing the .enex code for a note that has this magical property, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with this post - it would be nice if this feature were available in Windows.

In EN Web, open a note that you have an image in and edit the note. You WILL be able to resize the display image (how the image shows up in the note), which will not affect the attached image's size. It just sets a size for how it is displayed within the note. This feature is unfortunately unavailable in Windows.

Is there a process for putting in feature requests to Evernote? I looked on the site and was unable to find one.

• Level 5*
Is there a process for putting in feature requests to Evernote? I looked on the site and was unable to find one.

All posts are read by Evernote staff, so posting here is one way to post feature requests. You can also file a support request if you want a more official process.

Not being able to resize an image on the Windows client is a huge problem. I frequently take screenshots and crop them and paste them into EN only to have it take up the entire screen. If I scan a business card I want it business card size on the screen, not full size.

Am I missing something here or is this user error?

Bob

• Level 5*
If I scan a business card I want it business card size on the screen

I think Evernote fell over their wish to deal with multiple platforms here. Image sizes fit themselves to the note window, so if you have an A4 size brochure image and a visiting-card size image, they'll both fill the note screen. The card will obviously be hugely out of scale. This seems to apply to the Windows client only - other OS's are less critical, and on my mobile screen the card would be the right size and the brochure will be very small.

It's something else that I'm sure is on a route plan somewhere - maybe Windows 8 will allow them to give us resizeable images...

Meantime there are work-arounds, but they're not exactly convenient. Setting up a table in a note forinstance would allow you to insert a picture at smaller than full-window size.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This is the only reason why I have not moved to evernote yet... Using an alternative while this is not implemented, and waiting patiently.

EN has a serious development problem of having different features for different platforms. Not simple, too much hassle to learn esp. when new versions are released... it's what did they do now here... and what did they do differently there.  You [EN] already know how to do it, so do it for all the same.   Images should have a thumbnail option (right now I don't care if it is manually resizeable or not) that opens to the full size (with optional fit-to-window-width and fit-to-window-height).

I only use photos as notes they are faster, easier, more efficient than writing a "thousand words".  NOT for anything of high-resolution,high-def, professional quality...that would be a different solution.

I am NOT using a workaround and NOT waiting. Different features for different platforms is a major release flaw by mgmt. I am looking for a better solution...are there any addons/plugins for this?  Why not?

• Level 5*

I don't know whether there are add-ons/ plug-ins that you would find acceptable - please see the App Center (below) or search the web for options.  If you won't use work-arounds and don't want to wait...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived