(Archived) REQUEST: Push notifications?

I am interested in testing out the Evernote app in my office of about 20 sales professionals. I think the app would be a great way for the team members to share notes about rumors/issues in the marketplace. BUT, I think it would only be used if Evernote can deliver notifications without the individual going and manually checking to see if anybody else has added new notes. Does Evernote have the capability to send a push notification on the iPhone/iPad or can it pop up notification on the desktop similar to how Outlook does when a new e-mail arrives?

I see how that would be a great idea. This doesn't solve the popup/alert aspect, but if, say, your team of 20 used each other's Evernote-specific email addresses as a group in your Outlook client, then everyone would get the note in their default box.

One solution to this would be that when your Evernote email has been pinged, you could get an EN icon to show up in your phones menu bar, much like it does when you upload or edit a new/existing note. But to differentiate between a note and email, the menu bar message would say Evernote email.

• Level 5*

Evernote did announce a feature called "Galleries" last year that would give a kind of dashboard on an account that seemed to include a live feed of activity - not quite a push but a very quick view.

I can't find the forum post about it now, it may not have made the migration but I think they were talking an autumn/winter timeframe for it.

I agree. Evernote needs 2 types of notification:

1. notebook/note modified notifications, which always appear as a status indicator on the notebook icon and note summary in list/snippet/thumnail views
  2. push notification via email (as an option in prefs)

Growl-style notifications would be nice too, but I can see that's trickier to implement due to differences between platforms.

Thanks for the replies guys. This app would be perfect for our our team if it had push notifications, but until it adds that feature I don't think we will even test it. We want a way to be able to share information in a separate place than our e-mail, which is already bogged down by work related e-mails from clients, etc. I would need the app to be literally as easy as possible for these busy sales professionals to check/share new notes with each other. If it's not extremely easy, these guys would never go out of their way to open the application and check themselves to see if there are new notes.

Hopefully Evernote can add the push notification feature soon! It really would make a huge difference.

• 5 months later...

When will we see this feature arrive because I'm sure this feature has been asked for since 2009 when apple had push notifications. I really want to implement evernote into my business, but it is a hassle to remind my employees to check evernote each time I make an update.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Agreed- estate management company with multiple crews/multiple weekly property visits...would love the push notification as an instant message/reminder per client, per task, etc between crews and supervisors

If you happen to use a Mac, it's possible you could do something like this with a Folder Action Script. Details are beyond the scope of this note, but it appears that on the Mac, notes are stored in a folder at ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/<username>/content/

I reckon an AppleScript could be set up to automatically push notifications when this folder is added to. Not sure whether it could be done for modifying an existing note. The user here named "Veritrope" seems to know a lot about this. 

Archived