(Archived) Evernote for Mac 3.0.7 Beta 3

dlu

Idea

Hello Mac users!

We have a new Beta 3 that makes printing of note titles & meta data available. It is an printing option that can be toggled. Please try it out and let us know if you have any feedback.

thanks!

If you've opted into the Betas, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates

If you're not auto-updating, you can get the beta here: http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_227677.zip

57 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

can someone help me with the searches?

GM, may I suggest that you open a new thread for this topic so that our responses to your question don't get mixed in with general posts about EN Mac Beta 3?

In any case, it would be helpful to know the following:

1. What EN client and version are you using?
  2. What OS version are you using?
  3. Provide an exact example of the search expression that fails

If you are using EN Mac, try clicking on the "All Notes" button in either the EN Toolbar, or Favorites Bar BEFORE entering your Search expression.

I can be pedantic like that. :)

You beat me to it.

And there's currently uhh "very limited" interest in customizing the number of lines in the snippet

• Level 5*

You beat me to it.

And there's currently uhh "very limited" interest in customizing the number of lines in the snippet

oh dlu, you have made me a very grumpy monkey. please define what you mean by "very limited." where did you get this information from? one of your competitors (simplenote) thought it was important enough to add the feature about a year ago, and they have kept it in subsequent updates. and, i know others in these forums have complained about what is displayed in the snippet view and how few notes they can see. i'd say there is "lots" of interest from my perspective :)

but, if you don't like the idea of giving us control over how the snippet view looks, how about allowing the list view to display on the left instead of at the top (most of us have relatively limited vertical real estate on our laptops)? i'd be fine with that :)

• Level 5*

Could be "limited" in terms of internal Evernote interest in adding it, not external customer interest.

that's what i was thinking as well. i can see that. why waste time fiddling around with something that's not broken? well, it works great as it is, but it could be better :)

oh dlu, you have made me a very grumpy monkey.

/snip

how about allowing the list view to display on the left instead of at the top (most of us have relatively limited vertical real estate on our laptops)? i'd be fine with that :)

The Grumpster speaks for all !

You beat me to it.

OK. I wasn't asking for being able to customize the number of lines in the snippet. That was my friend Mr. Monkey.

I was asking that the notebook name be included in snippet view when it isn't clear which notebook the snippet belongs to. i.e. when All Notebooks is selected. What are your thoughts about making that change?

You beat me to it.

OK. I wasn't asking for being able to customize the number of lines in the snippet. That was my friend Mr. Monkey.

I was asking that the notebook name be included in snippet view when it isn't clear which notebook the snippet belongs to. i.e. when All Notebooks is selected. What are your thoughts about making that change?

hmm let me think about it. There could be a performance issue to generate a an additional snippet or thumbnail for all notes

Hi, I'm trying to find the option to sort the trash by deleted date (a FANTASTIC feature, btw) but I can't find it. Am I missing something? The column headers in the trash are still just the usual ones (incl created and updated date), and I don't see a "deleted date" column. When I two-finger click on the column headers, I don't see that as an option for a column I can add. Please advise :-) thanks! E

I see it in the Snippet and Thumbnail views in the normal sort bar. It doesn't appear to be in the List view.

Will fix!

LOL you're one step ahead of me, you posted that as I posted the request for it to be available ;-) THANKS! E

I didn't know giant bunnies could type.

... One of the changes is that when you change the notebook on a currently selected note, Evernote takes you to that notebook... As I'm processing notes from my inbox, I'm continually having to navigate back to my inbox to continue. It's crazy-making.

I totally agree with this! I'll often have several notes in my Inbox and while shoveling them to other notebooks having to click back to Inbox would be grueling.

... One of the changes is that when you change the notebook on a currently selected note, Evernote takes you to that notebook... As I'm processing notes from my inbox, I'm continually having to navigate back to my inbox to continue. It's crazy-making.

I totally agree with this! I'll often have several notes in my Inbox and while shoveling them to other notebooks having to click back to Inbox would be grueling.

+1

but, if you don't like the idea of giving us control over how the snippet view looks, how about allowing the list view to display on the left instead of at the top (most of us have relatively limited vertical real estate on our laptops)? i'd be fine with that :)

YES PLEASE! Preview pane in vertical, note list on the left. This would change my world!

• Level 5*

i keep searching for things that are in my account and getting 0 results. i am in "all notebooks" the search field is empty. i have to click on the "notebooks" on the line just below the ribbon [EDIT: the Favorites Bar] in order to clear the search (?) and do it correctly.

why is this happening?

i don't think i have changed my workflow. i just keep having failed searches. in the previous version, i could see the search attributes and words used for the filter on this line. where did they go, and can i get them back? this is really frustrating for someone who relies on searches to filter results :(

perhaps someone can enlighten me. i hate having to click on "notebooks" for every single search. surely this isn't how it is supposed to work. and, if i am having this much trouble with one notebook, aren't those of you with several hundred having a tough time too?

• Level 5*

GM, may I suggest that you open a new thread for this topic so that our responses to your question don't get mixed in with general posts about EN Mac Beta 3?

In any case, it would be helpful to know the following:

1. What EN client and version are you using?
  2. What OS version are you using?
  3. Provide an exact example of the search expression that fails

If you are using EN Mac, try clicking on the "All Notes" button in either the EN Toolbar, or Favorites Bar BEFORE entering your Search expression.

i am posting this in the beta thread because it is a beta question. this is new to me, and i do not remember it in the last build. but, then again, i was using snow leopard at the time, so that might explain why i have a different memory of the interface.

1. Version 3.0.7 Beta 3 (227677)

2. 10.7.3

3. intitle:iun

thank you for the suggestion, but that is exactly my complaint. now i have to click on the "all notes" button or favorites bar "all notes" button for every single search, because i cannot see what search filters are currently active. sometimes nothing is there. sometimes something (who knows what?) apparently is, because my search turns up nothing. now to my question: i want to see how my notes are being filtered. is there a way to do that, or have we lost this feature?

here is a screenshot.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=944&bih=532&tbm=isch&tbnid=HCRfKSOgUPgxVM:&imgrefurl=http://lassala.net/2011/01/10/how-im-using-evernote/&docid=eA9oAVFfZVIlAM&imgurl=http://claudiolassala.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/evernote-vbblog.jpg&w=808&h=600&ei=EqpiT5-6LMjj0QGTjamdCA&zoom=1

see where it starts with "Viewing"? what happened to this wonderful and crucial string of information? surely there is a way to display it and i am just missing it, right?

• Level 5*

@GM:

The Search Explanation Bar was removed long ago when the Favorites Bar was added to EN Mac.

I reported this in the EN Mac 3.0.0 Beta 1 in Aug 2011.

BUG: Search Explanation Panel is Missing

by JMichael on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:04 pm

BUG REPORT: The Search Explanation Panel is Missing in EN Mac 3.0.0 Beta 4.

It used to be in the same location as the new Favorites panel.

In ver 2.2.3, it could be shown by View > Show Search Explanation.

Please fix ASAP. It is needed to make sure we have the correct search syntax.

Thanks.

There was a lengthy discussion about this in the below thread:

How do I see what rules my saved searches are using?

When the Favorites Bar was added to EN Win, fortunately the Search Explanation Bar was NOT removed.

So far, Evernote has not provided the rationale or benefit of removing this from EN Mac.

Many users have requested many times that it be restored.

With respect to clearing the current Search Expression and selected Notebooks PRIOR to entering a new Search, this has been the SOP for a long time. In previous versions of Evernote, backspacing or changing the text in the Search Expression did NOT properly change the actual Search. So the ONLY way to be sure is to clear everything before you enter a new Search.

You can either quickly click the "All Notes" button, or use the KB shortcut for EN Global Search (set in Preferences).

• Level 5*

hi jm. thanks for the links. i can promise you i was using the search explanation bar on the mac up until a few days ago, when i downloaded the latest beta and switched to lion. is this a lion-specific thing? i don't know.

as for the searches, because i could see the search explanation bar, i could decide whether i needed to clear the search. without it, i have lost crucial information. i don't know how everyone has survived this long without more outrage about this. for me, the favorites bar provides no information of value at all, so it is hidden all of the time (thank goodness i can do that). i would like the explanation bar back in its place :(

in many ways, the search on the ipad is far superior to the one on my desktop, because:

1. there is no instant search, so sometimes i actually find my information sooner, even though the ipad is slower! the lag is killing me on the desktop, and i shudder to think what it will be like after a few thousand more notes.

2. there is no hidden stuff filtering my notes in the searches.

i do hope they reconsider this search explanation bar, because it is very much missed.

• Level 5*

@GM: I think the difference in UI must be due to the Mac Lion OS.

If I remember correctly, the EN Mac Favorites Bar is only displayed in Lion.

So, I'm guessing, that under Snow Leopard EN is still using the old UI, which includes the Search Explanation Bar.

• Level 5*

@GM: I think the difference in UI must be due to the Mac Lion OS.

If I remember correctly, the EN Mac Favorites Bar is only displayed in Lion.

So, I'm guessing, that under Snow Leopard EN is still using the old UI, which includes the Search Explanation Bar.

i see. i take it by your response that my "upgrade" to lion resulted in a "downgrade" to my evernote ui (the loss of a feature), and there is no hidden toggle somewhere that will get it back (when is it a good thing to lose a feature?). too bad :(

• Level 5*

Correct. Since EN Mac 3.0, EN displays a different UI based on the Mac OS.

IF the OS is Lion, it ADDS the "Favorite Bar", but REMOVES the "Search Explanation Bar".

There is no toggle or option that I know of that will cause the "Search Explanation Bar" to be displayed with EN Mac 3 running on Lion.

I completely agree this is a loss of a major feature (only on the Mac) which makes it impossible to know if Evernote is interpreting the Search Expression as we expect.

The current behaviour when I edit which notebook a note belongs to (say from 'Inbox' to 'Archive') is that EN then selects the 'new' notebook, 'Archive' for example.

This is real problem for me. It breaks my workflow - I like to crank through my 'Inbox' notebook, adding tags, editing notes etc and then dropping them into the correct notebook. But under the current behaviour I then get dumped into the 'new' notebook I have just assigned a note to. I then have to reselect 'Inbox' to continue processing.

Is it possible to allow a preference setting to toggle this default?

Thanks

I completely agree this is a loss of a major feature (only on the Mac) which makes it impossible to know if Evernote is interpreting the Search Expression as we expect.

I need this feature also - It is still in the Windows beta so I don't understand why it has been removed from the Mac beta

• Level 5*

While we are on the subject of Search issues in the EN Mac client (but work fine in EN Win),

the EN Mac client has a bug identified in Nov 2011 that prevents you from editing the Saved Search definition.

It is a bug according to Heather:

So, what I'm trying to get at is - if you right-click (cmd-click) the Saved Search on the Mac, is that broken? Can you not edit it anymore? Because if you can't, *that there's a bug, pardner.*

It would be most helpful if we could get this bug fixed soon.

As it is, we can't view or edit a Saved Search.

This makes creating/debugging complex Saved Searches almost impossible.

I'm lost without this... please bring it back!

• Level 5*

three bugs:

1. when moving a large number of notes from one notebook to another (in this case, i have to be offline for a while, so need to create an offline notebook -- i really wish we had offline tags...) at some point you stop being able to drag them into the notebook, even after the syncing and indexing is completed.

2. several crashes during this process (report sent)

3. notes appear in one notebook even though they are in another. in other words, the header says they are in the other notebook, and i moved it there, but it is still in the original notebook.

• Level 5*

@GM:

Are you reporting issues with Beta 3 or Beta 5? This is the OLD Beta 3 thread.

IAC, to move Notes to a different Notebook, I think you will find it easier to right-click on the selection and choose "Move ..." than to use drag n drop.

After moving large numbers of Notes to a different NB, I would:

• Do a manual Sync
  • Quit Evernote, including the Helper app in the menu bar
  • Restart Evernote

• Level 5*

thanks jm. it is beta 5. the forum search failed me again :(

just reporting bugs. right click is better (thereby avoiding the trash that is conveniently placed directly below notebooks), but i use both. they both ought to work.

evernote crashed a couple of

times, so i got my restarts in :)

Hi, I'm trying to find the option to sort the trash by deleted date (a FANTASTIC feature, btw) but I can't find it. Am I missing something? The column headers in the trash are still just the usual ones (incl created and updated date), and I don't see a "deleted date" column. When I two-finger click on the column headers, I don't see that as an option for a column I can add. Please advise :-) thanks! E

I see it in the Snippet and Thumbnail views in the normal sort bar. It doesn't appear to be in the List view.

Where is "deleted date" in the snippet view? I can't find it. Can you send a screen shot?

• Level 5*

hi dlu. good so far. it prints the note titles and metadata, as you said. however, it only prints the default metadata in the header of the note (hence, the header setting), and none of the other metadata. it would be really nice if we could:

1. in the note view, have a hide/show command that showed all of the metadata (show) or only the default metadata (hide). i prefer this to clicking the icon and getting the popup for each and every note.

2. if we could print using the settings we have chosen so that all of the metadata appears.

I am sorry but bullet lists are broken.

"Prüfungen" was a perfectly normal bullet point (at the same level as the one above) before I hit shift-tab.

20120223-t219p3kmg6ngg9rmf7fdtymhpq.jpg

"I IZ IN UR EVERNOTE EATING UR BULLETZ"

I'm having a hard time reproducing that. If there are any explicit steps, pls let me know

"Prüfungen" was a perfectly normal bullet point (at the same level as the one above) before I hit shift-tab.

20120223-t219p3kmg6ngg9rmf7fdtymhpq.jpg

"I IZ IN UR EVERNOTE EATING UR BULLETZ"

I'm having a hard time reproducing that. If there are any explicit steps, pls let me know

Will fix!

Aha-- there it is. Thanks. How odd that it's not an option in the list view (my preferred view)... dlu, would you mind adding "make 'sort by deleted date' available in list view" to the EN Mac wish list??

thanks,

E

Will fix!

LOL you're one step ahead of me, you posted that as I posted the request for it to be available ;-) THANKS! E

Where is "deleted date" in the snippet view? I can't find it. Can you send a screen shot?

When you switch to Snippet view, look at the pop-up menu at the top of the column of notes. I can click it to change the sort order and "deleted date" is one of 'em.

I can't reproduce it, either and I can't remember what I did with that text. I can, however, "repair" the paragraph by repeatedly clicking the bullet list icon until it becomes normal text, then clicking it again - it turns back into a bulleted paragraph that behaves normally.

When you switch to Snippet view, look at the pop-up menu at the top of the column of notes. I can click it to change the sort order and "deleted date" is one of 'em.

I don't see what you're seeing, but I realized I'm not yet using the new beta. Is this a new feature in the 3.0.7 beta?

I'm using 3.0.7 Beta 1 (Evernote support had me upgrade to this version because it's claimed that it fixes a bug I was experiencing). One of the changes is that when you change the notebook on a currently selected note, Evernote takes you to that notebook. This is new to v 3.0.7, and it's a huge step backward. As I'm processing notes from my inbox, I'm continually having to navigate back to my inbox to continue. It's crazy-making.

• Level 5*

ISSUE: Changing Notebook on Note Still Changes Notebook Filter

Hello Mac users!

We have a new Beta 3 that makes printing of note titles & meta data available. It is an printing option that can be toggled. Please try it out and let us know if you have any feedback.

dlu, it appears that changing the Notebook on the Note now changes the Notebook filter IF the current NB filter is anything other than "All Notebooks".

This issue was reported in Beta 1 (2/8/2012) and Beta 2 (2/221/2012), along with a proposed solution that I believe has a general consensus among all of the users participating in the EN Mac 3.0.7 Beta threads. At least I have not seen any objections to it.

The good news is that it also appears that you did make a change so that if the Notebook filter is "All Notebooks", the filter is NOT changed when the user makes a change to the NB on the Note. This needs to apply across the board: Do NOT ever change the Notebook filter when the user changes the NB on the Note.

Again, this is how the EN Win client has been working for a long time, and I have not seen anyone requesting it to be changed for EN Win.

Thanks.

As I'm processing notes from my inbox, I'm continually having to navigate back to my inbox to continue. It's crazy-making.

From the Beta 2 thread:

As an alternative, you can right click and use the "move to notebook" option as well as dragging one or more notes onto the notebook in the left panel.

/snip

The thought is that if you're on an individual note, having it disappear before your eyes is a little weird. Since you're acting within the note pane, we assume you're focus is there and that's the context you'd want to keep. The other actions happen in the middle pane or between the middle pane and left pane, so we assume you want to keep that as context.

As I'm processing notes from my inbox, I'm continually having to navigate back to my inbox to continue. It's crazy-making.

From the Beta 2 thread:

As an alternative, you can right click and use the "move to notebook" option as well as dragging one or more notes onto the notebook in the left panel.

/snip

The thought is that if you're on an individual note, having it disappear before your eyes is a little weird. Since you're acting within the note pane, we assume you're focus is there and that's the context you'd want to keep. The other actions happen in the middle pane or between the middle pane and left pane, so we assume you want to keep that as context.

Will go back and review it. I'm not completely sold on the current implementation so happy to get all the feedback. Been reading everything, just a bit busy so have been posting less. Thanks all!

Will go back and review it. I'm not completely sold on the current implementation so happy to get all the feedback. Been reading everything, just a bit busy so have been posting less. Thanks all!

It made sense after you explained it. That said I think what we are seeing by the posts may be evidence of an unnatural workflow, and I wonder if it's been overthunk a bit. I'm neutral because the right click option works very well. But had you not posted the option I wouldn't have found it for a while. That leads to the question of how much ongoing education you want to have to do around the issue.

I am not running the beta, so I will request something that might already be implemented.

Could you please show the folder notebook name in snippet view, along with the created date and the tags, if "All Notebooks" is the currently selected notebook. Would help in identifying certain notes just by their snippet without having to look at the note itself.

Of course, this is not necessary if a particular notebook is selected.

• Level 5*

I'd prefer not to see the folder name in snippet view. If I had my druthers, I'd ask to only see the title of the note. Currently, I can only see a paltry 8 notes at a time, and if we only had titles, this number would easily double, maybe even quadruple.

but, as usual, everyone has a different workflow, and it would be nice to be able to customize this. my favorite way is the simplenote one, where you can specify how many lines of text you want to see in the snippet view. we could add huladaddy's idea about what kind of extra content you also want to see (metadata). options, options, options!

by the way, i just upgraded to lion and i love the easy ability to hid the left-hand pane. wow. great improvement. this is exactly the kind of functionality i want: toggles so that we can customize the ui for our workflow. in my case, i don't use folders or tags, so that third pane was a real pain (hahaha). the new view is almost perfect. thanks!

Archived