(Archived) HELP: Evernote cancels shutdown every time

ManicDee

Idea

On Mac OS X 10.7.3, using Evernote 3.0.6 (Mac App Store), Evernote will consistently cancel my shutdown attempts: select Apple -> Shutdown, and a dialog pops up "The application Evernote cancelled shutdown". In the meantime, Evernote quits.

Any idea whether that's only affecting me, or is it a bug with Evernote/Mac OS X?

17 replies to this idea

Guys, thank you for the reminder that a man should always be polite, I really appreciate it.

Thanks, GrumpyMonkey, for calling a bug a bug, and providing the information that this bug is going to be fixed in an update. You were most helpful, this is exactly what I was looking for.

As for "quitting an app" - I think it's an obvious "fix", right? The problem is that it just does not actually fix anything. It's exactly like Steve Job's "don't hold your phone this way" "fix".

Having the same problem. What's weird: I have set the sync to "manual" but the program syncs anyway. Also, it's not possible to quit the program, it's grayed in the menu and the shortcut doesn't do the trick either.

I have had the same problem, I'm using an iMac with Snow Leopard, and after emailing back and forth for Evernote for about 2 weeks, sending them more information, screenshots, answering all their questions, the final "solution" they offered was.... "You should quit Evernote before shutting down your computer." Sigh. ME: "Doctor, it hurts when I move my arms." DOCTOR: "Then don't move your arms."

I have plenty of other apps on my Mac like Echofon, Chrome, Picasa, etc etc, all of which close automatically when I chose "shut down computer," I fail to see why Evernote should be a special case that needs special attention every time I want to turn off my computer. The whole point of the desktop software is to always have it running, for quick access to all of your notes. Since this problem arose, I haven't even bothered opening up the Evernote app because I'm sick of having to remember it needs the "extra step" every night when I shutdown my computer. Half the time I just click "shut down" and walk away, then wake up the next morning and realize the computer has been on all night because of this Evernote bug I forgot about. I love Evernote but this is all making me consider switching everything to Google Drive.

Hi !

I also have that bug since monthes and it's really annoying to have to quit evernote before shutting down my mac.

I also think that it appends when Evernote is syncing but it appends 90% of the time I shutdown my mac.

Most of the time, I've the error message "Evernote stop your shutdown..." and when I clic OK, Evernote is stopped. I re-shutdown the mac and it works the second time.

Like "nickholl", I had the same bug with Wunderlist during monthes but they fixed it this year!

http://42-bugfix.blogspot.ca/2011/05/wunderlist-bug-restart.html

Hope, you'll find a solution to correct that ;)

This happens to me and I have noticed it usually happens while evernote is syncing. evn is not the only thing that does this to my computer OFTEN Google Chrome does the same thing, i try to shut down while google chrome is running and it kills the shutdown.

It's a but with both of them, but it is what it is. Hopefully the ticket helps get it identified. I always sent the crash report to evernote when it happens

I have this same problem. Its very frustrating. I also have the same thing happen for the Wunderlist mac client too. and I've been through the same questions with them. They (wunderkinder) told me it was because the piece of software hadnt been written as a native piece of mac software and so there was a known problem within the Apple system that caused this problem during shutdown (and so told me it was basically down to Apple to fix theiy opperating system. Im not sure if there are similar issues with the Evernote software.

Does anybody know if the Evernote software has been written natively for the mac? Im willing to forgive the Wunderlist client for being a little ***** as its free. But Evernote being a freemium service, I would have hoped for a little higher quality :(

I'm having this exact same problem. Not only does it cancel shutdown of the Mac, but it also cancels Log Out of the user on the Mac as well. No other apps get in the way like this - they all elegantly get closed and allow the system to shut down per the command. Hopefully this can get fixed. It's not a show-stopper, but certainly not ideal.

BTW - I submitted a ticket to support for it.

BTW x 2 - I used to be Fireproof, but can't login with my old account. Not sure why - maybe because I changed the email address associated with my Evernote account, now I'm seen as a new user. That's a bummer.

• Level 5*

Guys, thank you for the reminder that a man should always be polite, I really appreciate it.

Thanks, GrumpyMonkey, for calling a bug a bug, and providing the information that this bug is going to be fixed in an update. You were most helpful, this is exactly what I was looking for.

As for "quitting an app" - I think it's an obvious "fix", right? The problem is that it just does not actually fix anything. It's exactly like Steve Job's "don't hold your phone this way" "fix".

Hi RTRex. You're welcome. We're glad to have you aboard. I cannot say that this will be fixed in an update. I can only say that I hope it will. I am afraid I don't work for Evernote and have no inkling of what their plans are. Based on past precedent, though, the developers seem to take this kind of bug seriously.

I don't think I would call quitting the app first a "fix" for the problem in this case. This is not the way the app should behave, especially when it seems to be done syncing, but processes are still (apparently) going on to keep it open.

• Level 5*

hi rtrex. welcome to the forums.

i read the thread and jefito's post, and i find it quite helpful. the application sometimes does need to be "quit" before shutting down the computer. this is a solution to a known problem. we are hoping that the next update to the software by evernote will fix it. until then, this is the only method i know of dealing with the bug.

• Level 5*
I don't want to run Evernote anymore because of this annoyance and the fact that instead of help and a simple fix I see a stupid advice to "quit Evernote first" from an evangelist.

Please try to learn the difference between advice and a question (hint: the latter is usually the one with a question mark at the end). The particular question was intended to help diagnose the problem, and it's not untypical of what a support tech might ask when they're trying to help figure out what's going on.

I don't want to run Evernote anymore because of this annoyance and the fact that instead of help and a simple fix I see a stupid advice to "quit Evernote first" from an evangelist.

FYI, jefto is a very helpful user and his advice is very good. I have absolutely no idea why you are calling his suggestion "stupid". Since you are new to the forum, I think you should have refrained from calling his advice stupid & instead, given his number of posts, evangelist status (IE, moderator) & longevity on the board, have tried his suggestion. Or something like a polite reply about how that would work but you think it shouldn't cancel shutdown would have been appropriate.

Yes, I totally agree with ManicDee - an application should serve the user, not the user should care about what applications are doing when he or she needs to turn off the computer.

Checking whether Evernote is running or not when you shut down is not a solution - what would you say if you needed to first quit all your programs and only then shut down?

Yes, trying to shut down while Evernote is still running. It cancels the shutdown, and immediately quits. Thus if I try shutting down again, that will work. Evernote cancels the shutdown regardless of whether it is syncing or not.

For the meantime I will just stop using Evernote. I shouldn't have to babysit applications like this.

Are you trying to shutdown while Evernote is still running? (Sorry. That's not clear to me from your post.) If Evernote is trying to sync before it closes, it could cancel shutdown. Quit Evernote first then shutdown.

Archived