(Archived) Stacks - how are they created?

Rubicon Tom

• Level 5*

You can have multiple notebooks in a stack, but you cannot nest stacks within other stacks, nor can you nest notebooks or stacks in other notebooks. There are no folders in Evernote.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I can't create a stack! When I right-click on a notepad, there's no option to add to a stack, create a stack, or anything to do with stacks! I've also tried dragging one notebook into another, but that also doesn't work. Please can you advise me? (I've got the most recent version, 4.3.something.

Thanks!

Hello. I can't create a stack! When I right-click on a notepad, there's no option to add to a stack, create a stack, or anything to do with stacks! I've also tried dragging one notebook into another, but that also doesn't work. Please can you advise me? (I've got the most recent version, 4.3.something.

Thanks!

4.3 is an old release. Current beta is 4.5.4.

Check Evernote -> Help -> About and Help -> Check for Updates.

Thanks!

4.3 is an old release. Current beta is 4.5.4.

Check Evernote -> Help -> About and Help -> Check for Updates.

And the current public release is 4.5.3

Thanks so much for your swift reply. Um, this is a bit embarrassing, but I've checked and I got it wrong! I have got latest version - 4.5.3.6131. But I really don't get anything about stacks when I right-click a notebook!

Cheers

marion

Ummm. What options do you see when you use:

Evernote Windows -> Left Panel -> Notebooks -> Some Notebook -> Right Click

You should have a Add to Stack -> New Stack option.

post-59167-0-57421500-1331218602_thumb.p

Thanks so much for your generous help with this. I get:

new note

open note

print note

export note

save attachments

copy note link

delete note

copy note

move note

Tag note

Cheers

marion

Right click the "other left" panel. You're right clicking on notes, not notebooks.

Dear Burgernfries

Thank you!!!! That's it!! I feel like a giant UK twit (although at 4 foot 9 inches I'm a small giant twit). But I was indeed clicking on notes rather than notebook!! Very very embarrassing, but who cares?? Thanks to you I can now get really organised with my notes for the mental health charity I run.

Cheers

marion

• 1 year later...

NOTEBOOKS INTO NOTEBOOKS

I am continually frustrated by the inability to organize intuitively on my new wonderful tool- evernote.

Will they ever fix it so that one can put a notebook into a notebook?    Is there something inherently difficult about programming that way?  i really like so many features, but as an organizational tool, there are drawbacks.  the best organizers are those who act like file cabinets, where one can put things inside of other things.  

NOTEBOOKS INTO NOTEBOOKS

I am continually frustrated by the inability to organize intuitively on my new wonderful tool- evernote.

Will they ever fix it so that one can put a notebook into a notebook?    Is there something inherently difficult about programming that way?  i really like so many features, but as an organizational tool, there are drawbacks.  the best organizers are those who act like file cabinets, where one can put things inside of other things.  

Please search the board on sub notebooks. This has been discussed at great length already.

• Level 5*

Programming is about making choices. Evernote has evidently decided that -- at least for the present -- notebooks are not generally nestable. It's not a matter if easy or difficult, it's a matter of what they chose. Currently you can:

Put notes in a notebook.

Put notebooks in a stack.

Put tags on a note.

Funny thing, though. My file cabinet is not arbitrarily nestable either.

• Level 5*

@megsaint: the quote thingy is hard to do when you're editing in rich-text mode; I usually switch to BBCode mode (little button at the top left of the editing controls), which shows the control codes).

Archived