ScanSnap Questions

callagga

Just got a Jujitsu ScanSnap S1100 to use with evernote and wanted to ask a few questions:

a) I'm using the "SnapScan Manager v3.2 L10" that came with the scanner - assume this is the best approach re software?

b ) is there a way to auto-delete the scanned file (PDF in my case) on my Mac after the Evernote upload is complete? can't seem to see it

c) is terms of tagging/folder etc I'm currently just waiting until it uploads into Evernote & then using the Evernote Mac application to set this stuff - is this the best approach? I haven't found any evernote folder/tag defaults or settings in the scapscan manager software...

d) is there a way to do auto-mated upload to Evernote? i.e. so you don't have to choose from the "SnapScan Manager" the Evernote PDF upload option each time?

• Level 5

I use Windows, but I believe the following will apply to a Mac as well.

a.) Until you are completely comfortable with ScanSnap, I would recommend you keep the duplicate files and treat them the same way you treat your trash bin. Once a week, or once a month, go in and delete them all. Just in case something goes wrong during a scan.

b.) Best to have the files go into your default notebook. Once they are there, tag and move to appropriate notebook. Try to keep your default notebook empty. I do not believe there is any way to have ScanSnap add a tag to a note.

c.) If you are setup properly, all you should have to do is hit the scan button on the scanner and let it to all the work.

Here are some videos that might be helpful.

http://blog.evernote.com/2009/05/07/scan-to-evernote-fujitsu-scansnap/

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Evernote+scansnap+video&view=detail&mid=BB23127721938D2C2221BB23127721938D2C2221&first=0&FORM=LKVR10

Just got a Jujitsu ScanSnap S1100 to use with evernote and wanted to ask a few questions:

a) I'm using the "SnapScan Manager v3.2 L10" that came with the scanner - assume this is the best approach re software?

b ) is there a way to auto-delete the scanned file (PDF in my case) on my Mac after the Evernote upload is complete? can't seem to see it

c) is terms of tagging/folder etc I'm currently just waiting until it uploads into Evernote & then using the Evernote Mac application to set this stuff - is this the best approach? I haven't found any evernote folder/tag defaults or settings in the scapscan manager software...

d) is there a way to do auto-mated upload to Evernote? i.e. so you don't have to choose from the "SnapScan Manager" the Evernote PDF upload option each time?

I recently got the ScanSnap S1500 (Buyer beware: The more expensive S1500M Mac version is - except for the colors and bundled software - identical to the S1500. I saved $180 by getting the "Windows version" - works flawlessly with Mac)

Anyways, as to a) yes - I believe using the ScanSnap Manager software is the best approach. I don't think there are any benefits by using other software and I am not even sure it's possible. I also believe the software is the same across all ScanSnap models.

And b ): No, it seems not. Took me a while to realise that every scan was saved in the Pictures folder. There is no auto-delete function, but you have a few options: I prefer scanning to desktop and then import to Evernote later. Almost every scanned document has a page that needs rotation or should be deleted or whatever. And it saves upload traffic to do all the changes first rather than importing them first and then edit. Another option, would be to get an automation app like Hazel and instruct it to move any .pdfs that hit the Pictures folder to the trash folder.

As for c): As far as I know there's no way of automatically tagging or specifying other folders than the default for automatically uploaded documents. You will have to tag and bag each note manually.

And finally d): Yes. Just disable the Quick Menu and make sure the Standard profile is scanning into Evernote.

• Level 5*

I recently got the ScanSnap S1500 (Buyer beware: The more expensive S1500M Mac version is - except for the colors and bundled software - identical to the S1500. I saved $180 by getting the "Windows version" - works flawlessly with Mac)

Anyways, as to a) yes - I believe using the ScanSnap Manager software is the best approach. I don't think there are any benefits by using other software and I am not even sure it's possible. I also believe the software is the same across all ScanSnap models.

Since you bought the Windows version, how did you get the ScanSnap Manager software for the Mac?

• Level 5*

there is a hack out there for old ones (i am using it for the s300) and i think new ones are marketed for certain devices but actually work fine if you download the scan snap manager. i could be wrong about this.

i don't know what fujitsu gets out of the scheme, but it causes plenty of pain for consumers, and if their products weren't so phenomenol i would probably not put up with it.

Archived