(Archived) HELP: Automatic creation of tags annoying

kkathman

Idea

Can I get some explanation on why Evernote creates tags automatically? For instance it seems to have gone through and created tags for every city, proper name, cities, products and other things that I didn't create myself at all. The thing is, all of these are available to be used when I choose to go tag a note, and that's REALLY annoying!

Is there a setting that is set out of the box to do this? I could go and delete these tags, but I want to make sure they don't show up again automatically!

Thanks for your help!

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Wow! That is the first time I have seen that comment. There is no Atlas with every city inside Evernote. You must have picked this up somewhere else.

Your list of tags in the Left Panel must go on forever.

Tags with zero notes can be easily deleted.

Evernote does not automatically create tags. However, some third party apps that feed Evernote may do so. IE "Wonderful Days" app for iPhone creates tags based upon the weather/mood that you set. There must be some third party app you are using that is automatically creating your tags.

Kind of tired of people saying that things don't exist, when I'm looking right at them!

The notes I put in, were just regular textual notes. The content did have names of cities, and names, of course. But I'm really clueless on why tags were automatically created. I'm wondering if this happened as a result of an upgrdae or something.

The list wasn't huge, but was really consistent. For instance, there are some domain names in some of my notes that have the abbreviation for Alabama. Well, Evernote somehow, at some point, saw that AL and made it a tag. Lots of places I have a name like Joe Miller. I didn't create the tag, but sure enough there it is in the list and all the notes that Joe Miller is in, has that tage attached.

I've not used any third party software with Evernote, other than just using their own web clipping plug ins.

I went ahead and deleted the unused tags in the left pane, and that seems to have gotten rid of them on the actual notes too. I'm trying to get my system to be a little more streamlined, and obviously don't need all those tags. At the same time, I don't see them being recreated at this time either, so perhaps whatever caused it isn't endemic to EN itself, but perhaps to an upgrade.

• Level 5

Kind of tired of people saying that things don't exist, when I'm looking right at them!

No one said they didn't exist. Just that we've never seen this before.

If the tags come back. your best bet would be to contact Evernote support for a deeper investigation into what caused this.

The notes I put in, were just regular textual notes. The content did have names of cities, and names, of course. But I'm really clueless on why tags were automatically created. I'm wondering if this happened as a result of an upgrdae or something.

The list wasn't huge, but was really consistent. For instance, there are some domain names in some of my notes that have the abbreviation for Alabama. Well, Evernote somehow, at some point, saw that AL and made it a tag. Lots of places I have a name like Joe Miller. I didn't create the tag, but sure enough there it is in the list and all the notes that Joe Miller is in, has that tage attached.

I've not used any third party software with Evernote, other than just using their own web clipping plug ins.

I went ahead and deleted the unused tags in the left pane, and that seems to have gotten rid of them on the actual notes too. I'm trying to get my system to be a little more streamlined, and obviously don't need all those tags. At the same time, I don't see them being recreated at this time either, so perhaps whatever caused it isn't endemic to EN itself, but perhaps to an upgrade.

We don't have a feature that creates tags automatically. My first thought is also that it is some third party using our API. But if you haven't signed up for any, that is very strange.

What version are you using? If this happens again I'd suggest opening a support ticket and they can try to dive in deeper. A few members of the support team read this thread and are aware of it.

• Level 5*

i believe you. it is certainly a problem, and i agree with jb about contacting evernote directly.

i am just saying that (as far as i know) the feature doesn't exist in evernote. i've used every update over the last few months, including the beta, and i didn't see anything like it.

To clarify, no one said the tags don't exist. However, I'm pretty darned sure EN does not automatically create tags. Several people very familiar with the app (Windows, Mac, iOS & as a developer) have stated this.

Please post back what you find out.

• Level 5*
lol. a cautionary tale for people who have been asking for automatic creation of tags :)

That's me!! But when I say that I want this, what I'm really saying is that I want the ability to create rules that detect certain conditions in a note, and apply the tags I want, not that I want Evernote to make up rules to add tags. This is a la GMail or Outlook.

This sounds more like the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Posted · Hidden by jefito, February 16, 2012 - duplicate post
Hidden by jefito, February 16, 2012 - duplicate post

Archived