(Archived) Evernote student- suggestions from a university

Hello, I love evernote, but an inconvenience has cropped up that (I'm sure) plagues many users. I've been using evernote as my primary note source, then onenote, then catch . The problem is I'm a college student and can't afford to be a premium member and exceed the 50mb size limit. I propose a method similar to Amazon prime, allowing students at universities to get a free year or so of added premium space- they can then continue to use premium space at a discounted price (as long as they're a student) then pay the full fee or simply revert back to the 50mb limit. With countless pdfs, powerpoints, pictures [anatomy, diagrams, charts, ect...) the small limit simply doesn't cut it. When I went on a study abroad trip in Europe, I pondered how wonderful it would be to log onto a tablet, or go to the library and have all my data ready to go. This would certainly attract many students to evernote. Please take this into consideration.

• Level 5

I'm sure you would support a similar subsidy for the same amount of time for senior citizens. They have a lot more memories to store in Evernote. This would certainly attract many senior citizens to Evernote.

• Level 5*

nice suggestion. but...

it's something like $3.75 a month for the premium service. that's a coffee. you can do it. and, i like to support companies that provide me with a good service. if you can't find that kind of money in-between the couch cushions, an alternative is to cobble together dropbox, sugarsync, and other backup services for the big stuff.

Just to clarify the 50mb limit you are referring to is for the size of a single note. http://www.evernote.com/about/premium/ As a Premium user, the size of a single note is increased to 50MB. That means you can put more stuff into each of your notes.

Each month every user is allowed to upload 60mb which resets each month. If you buy Evernote premium it boosts your monthly upload limits to 1gb per month.

If you are concerned about the cost you can always go premium one month and then go back down to free the next.

jbenson2, it would be fantastic if senior citizens would be granted something similar to amazon prime for students- unfortunately it isn't practical. With soaring student debt loans, and the fact that (we are the future, ect...) offering a discount to students who would flock from microsoft stock services or alternatives might not be a bad idea. I'm sure your memories are priceless, so store them with your retirement funds/social security my generation won't have access to.

• Level 5

jujubeanz - glad to see you got my point. Heh, heh.

OK, so you don't like the senor citizen discount. How about a Native American subsidy for Evernote?

They have a lot more memories than the senior citizens or the ivy-league educated OWS protesters combined.

And more deserving of a hand-up as well.

• Level 5*

lol. i think when you are paying several thousand dollars for tuition, and several hundred a semester for books, and a cup of coffee costs more than a month of evernote, then it is a pretty reasonable price for being able to store all of your memories, no matter how precious, or how banal :)

• Level 5*

@jujubeanz:

Just remember, receiving something free is a privilege, not an entitlement.

If you want something, you should be able to work and pay for it.

Find yourself a job, and buy one less coffee/beer each month. Then you can pay for the ultra cheap Evernote.

Hehe, sorry, I don't really share the "we are the future" vs. "seniors already cashed in the jackpot" attitude. For the last 2000 years or so, every generation seems to have regarded itself as the "cheated" generation in one way or the other. ;-)

But that aside, if asking Evernote for a discount program doesn't pan out, maybe you can convince your college or a seminar to fund sponsored accounts? AFAIK, they are slightly cheaper than individual accounts.

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey : have you priced colleges recently? Several thousand is what it costs to go to the state university for in-state students ($253/credit hour). Move up into a non-public university, and start thinking in terms of 10K/year and up.

Thank goodness we're past that now.

p.s., cup of coffee for me is $2.09 -- double ristretto @ Starbucks. :)

• Level 5*

i am all too familiar with how much college costs (public and private). i am an academic :) i subsist on student tuition (actually, probably more on endowments funded by alumni)!

a cup of coffee on campus (small with nothing extra) is 2.00. what i want (a latte or machiato) is nearly 4.00. i'd rather give the money to evernote! but, evernote doesn't keep me awake all day...

i like anjoschu's suggestion.

• Level 5*

...and while the originators of some documentation prefer to use hi-def pictures and fancy fonts, there are a variety of ways to reduce the size of many files with affecting their on-screen readability. I've found using a Fujitsu ScanSnap (I know - expense again) with Adobe OCR gives minimal size files even on very large documents. It's good evernote housekeeping to keep your file sizes down - you also have that monthly limit of 1GB (prem users) if which to beware!

• 5 months later...

Amazing the people that have money to waste on coffee these days. Some of us have not bought a coffee outside of home in years. I agree that Evernote is not cheap, and I always pay for any good software that does the job, and Evernote does the job very well. But I have no need of a server and would really like to see a version of EN that was software that I could afford to purchase and use with my own sever of computer. I don't think $180 for software is cheap, that is what it would cost me to use EN for three years on the monthly plan. I think Microsoft and Apple and cohorts have brainwashed a lot of people into thinking software has to be expensive. As a former professional programmer I think that a good piece of software should make it possible for the company or individual that owns it to live comfortably. But every program, no matter how good, does not need to be the one that makes everyone a millionaire.

If you use the yearly plan, it would only cost you $135 for three years. It would cost you $180 for four years on the yearly plan. So just by paying annually, you get a fourth year for free.

Also, you can use Evernote free of charge for as long as you like. If you are mostly using notes that are local to your computer, it is unlikely that you'll hit any our monthly upload limit.

Evernote is extremely affordable. At $45pa ($1.25 saving off the month-to-month price) I think it's a bargain. To compare, Dropbox charges $120pa for their entry-level premium service. Obviously you get a lot more space, but Evernote is so much more than just storage space, basically they both offer a premium option, but EN is WAY cheaper.

In fact if you look around, you'll be hard pressed to find any descent cloud storage service that comes in cheaper than EN.

No matter what the price, you'll always find people complaining about it. But at the same time these people will spend the same amount in a very short space of time and not know where it went! Be it a night out, dinner, movies, a frivolous purchase in some store, kids toys. The thing is, people still don't seem to be prepared to part with much dough for an online service while they're happy to spend big in a bricks and mortar business.

People, EN is a great service. If you love it - just pay your $45 and get into it. If it means you have to pull a few more hours in your casual job you have while not at uni, or put aside $10 a week for a few weeks first just do it.

Sorry to go on, I hate trolls a much as anyone online, but I just get a bit annoyed when people aren't prepared to pay for a quality service while they spend up big elsewhere.

Archived