(Archived) REQUEST: Bring back "New iSight Note" icon

• Level 5*

I presume you are using the Mac client...And you are right it's disappeared for me too. You can still create a new iSight note from the File menu as a short term fix. I'll open a support case so that Evernote are aware.

• Level 5*

Ticket #: 16051-66681

Date Created: 02/09/2012 04:52 AM PDT

Area: Evernote for Mac

Title: iSight button has disappeared from the toolbar

Details: As noted in this forum post - the create a new note with iSight has disappeared from the toolbar and cannot be added back as it is not available.

We decided to move it from the toolbar, since it wasn't getting too much usage there. If it's become too much of a pain, feel free to say so. I'm on the look out and happy to revisit that decision if we were wrong about the amount of people relying on it.

I'm really sorry the Audio Note button AND the iSight botton are no longer there. It was so convenient to use on the iPad and I hate to think it will be missing too. It is "too much of a pain", esp. for Grandma types who have a hard enough time learning all of the great things Evernote can do for us, to have to lose a favorite feature is sad. Is that enough of a plea????

Thanks, EN is my main GO TO application for everything!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We decided to move it from the toolbar, since it wasn't getting too much usage there.

That was easily the most used toolbar button for me. At the very least this should be an option from Customize Toolbar. Removing the iSight icon completely without giving those of us that rely on it the option to put it back isn't cool. Also, I just noticed there is no keyboard shortcut (on OSX at least) for New iSight Note either, and no option to assign one from Evernote preferences. Why burry that feature like that?

• 1 month later...

+ 1

You know, when you "remove" features like this, you open yourself to liability because of the counseling fees that your users may incur due to losing their minds trying to find something that is supposed to be there. I use the New Audio Note button on the toolbar all the time and it just stopped showing up and I could not figure out what was going on. So, naturally, I went to "customize" my toolbar and there is no option to add it. I did discover where I could add a new audio note from the Menu Bar. However, the toolbar is a handy.

I like Evernote, however, this design decision to remove toolbar buttons and not provide a way of adding them back is questionable. I wondered whether the real reason for removing this was "because of limited use" or, was this a business decision made by the suits because audio notes require more storage in the Evernote cloud??

We decided to move it from the toolbar, since it wasn't getting too much usage there. If it's become too much of a pain, feel free to say so. I'm on the look out and happy to revisit that decision if we were wrong about the amount of people relying on it.

Please revisit it.

I wondered whether the real reason for removing this was "because of limited use" or, was this a business decision made by the suits because audio notes require more storage in the Evernote cloud??

That's actually great for us. You're then more likely to upgrade to premium and pay us money...

I wondered whether the real reason for removing this was "because of limited use" or, was this a business decision made by the suits because audio notes require more storage in the Evernote cloud??

That's actually great for us. You're then more likely to upgrade to premium and pay us money...

Well, your candor is refreshing and painful at the same time.

I'd feel bad saying that if our free version wasn't so full-featured or if we were more pushy about upgrades. But we're pretty light on the upsell and realistically, we're not the types to go around trying to optimize based just on that. We're as our CEO has said, "long-term greedy" which means we want you to stick around for long long time.

• 1 month later...

I get why you'd remove the icon from the default set, but why remove it from the Customize Toolbar options? (I don't quite get the reasoning by not keeping the icon as a Custom option -- seems you'd want to let people set it up the way they like best.)

Also wondering why there never was a toolbar icon for creating a new notebook, and would like to see one added for a new audio note.

(My understanding is that these options aren't in the Premium version either -- is that the case?)

I get why you'd remove the icon from the default set, but why remove it from the Customize Toolbar options? (I don't quite get the reasoning by not keeping the icon as a Custom option -- seems you'd want to let people set it up the way they like best.)

Evernote employee dlu has said a few times that Evernote's preference (or at least that of the team developing the Mac client) is to offer as few options as they feel are truly necessary. I don't get it either.

(My understanding is that these options aren't in the Premium version either -- is that the case?)

Correct.

• Level 5*

Evernote employee dlu has said a few times that Evernote's preference (or at least that of the team developing the Mac client) is to offer as few options as they feel are truly necessary. I don't get it either.

Evernote is starting to think like the government, who believes they always know best for what you "truly" need and then try to control your behavior. The latest example is NYC Mayor who wants to restrict soda size to 16 oz or less, because we are all obese and can't control ourselves. :(

• 4 weeks later...

I just upgraded (from 1.8) and discovered that the iSight button was gone. Very sad. The first thing I did was to go to customize toolbar, and it wasn't there either! I really don't understand that decision. Default toolbar sets are useful and probably adequate for your casual user. But customization is really nice for people who want to work with evernote a lot. And taking things away once people have gotten used to them (without even the option to put it back like I had it) is just plain annoying.

There really aren't that many options in the pull-down menus. With so few it would be really nice to have the option to put each on the toolbar. Even Microsoft Word with its gazillions of options in the pull down menus lets you customize your toolbars to put the odd ones that only you just happen to use a lot up there.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the sentiment on this thread. I am a long-term paying customer and discovering that the iSight and record audio buttons are gone was very disappointing.

Please bring back these icons, or at the very least provide a keyboard shortcut to them.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I used to use the iSight button all the time for business cards. It's also great for those folks who need it to be "in your face". I tell all my friends and family about EN, but they would never think of looking under File>New iSight Note

There's plenty of room in the tool bar, please bring it back :D

• 1 month later...

Please bring the icon back, at least as an option.

And while you're at it, is possible to highlight the "iSight Note" item when typing "photo" or "picture" in the help menu? I know I should have realised that "iSight note" was what I was looking for, but I ended up using Photobooth…

• 1 year later...

I SO LOVE Evernote. Thanks for its awesomeness.

Whomever thought of "New FaceTime Camera Note" buried in the File menu was woefully misguided. Perhaps you were in a design committee meeting and agreed by consensus? Or maybe you thought your analytics data ruled over true usability? Purleeze bring back the straightforward toolbar option.

Also, you think "Copy Note Link" belongs on the Note menu and not the Edit menu. Huh, what?!

Archived