Use Evernote Hello during parent teacher conferences to remember your students parents

rtoledo

• Level 5

Remembering the face is relatively easy. Humans are natural visual creatures.

It is remembering the name that can be tough.

I try to use some memory techniques to help remember a name.

• When I meet a person for the first time, I force myself to use their name at least 3 times during the conversation.
  • If I bump into them a few weeks later, I will say, Hi my name is John Benson. I think we met a few weeks ago. This often triggers the person to respond with their name. If they don't, I'll just come out and ask them, then joke about my memory getting weaker.
  • Putting descriptive memorable comments about the person into Evernote can help. "Big guy - must be at 6' 6" at least".
  • Creating a wild scenario on a person's name helps - the more bizarre the better. Build images from common names, pick a distinguishing feature on the person, and attach the image to the distinguishing feature with an action.
  • For instance Evernote CEO Phil Libin who was born in Russia. I think of a Russian undercover spy acting as a doctor grimacing as he fills up his own lip with botox. As his lip swells bigger and bigger, bigger than his goatee, he starts making odd gurgling sounds as he starts to torture James Bond who is strapped down on a stainless steel table. Bond says "Do you expect me to talk?" And the reply: "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to use Evernote."

Does it work? Well, actively think about the last bullet point for just 5 seconds and you will have a hard time forgetting his name, even weeks later. You might be off a bit and call him Phil Lipin, but that is close enough for the win.

Archived