(Archived) How to avoid "block editing" of notes

jbshanker

I love Evernote and love the mobile platform, but I've always been flummoxed by the fact that some notes can't be edited in their entirety on the mobile platform. I've been experimenting to see what drives that and I created three notes from scratch on the Windows platform, synced them to my Android, and opened them for editing.

1. A plain text note with carriage returns is completely editable. I can move around from top to bottom with the cursor arroes on my Epic 4G, edit all the lines at the same time, click Done and the note is uploaded. Perfect!
  2. A note with styles -- bold, italic, underline, etc -- is editable in the same way
  3. A note with plain text (no styles) but bullets seems to be a problem. As far as I can tell, each line of such a note has to be edited separately and even if there are blocks of non-bulleted text in the note, the presence of any bullets in the note makes the whole thing revert to the far less usable editing mode

Is there anything else that causes this and more importantly any way to avoid it? I use bullets a lot and find them incredibly helpful on the desktop or when viewing, but the degree to which they cripple the ability to add to the data on the mobile platform almost offsets their value. Any advice on how to work around this (or insight into whether it will be improved at some point!) would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, this is a major inconvenience in what should be a very seamless experience. I noticed that the issues only seems to occur if I use numbers or bullets from a note that was created on my desktop. When I edit this on my Android Tablet, I get the single line editing box. If I start the note on the Android and use numbers or bullets, I can fully edit the document later on with my Android.

Please support better editing on the Android. I haven't tried Evernote on the iPhone but if it's much better there, I would be really mad.

The block editing and inability to do bullets, etc is really counterintuitive. The best I can do with Evernote Mobile on Android it seems is make new entries. Trying to do anything else substantive with text is a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

I have problems editing bullets as others posted here. In addition, I have something else today. This note with bullets has just been updated by a change I made in a desktop EN. When I tried to edit the note in my Android, the edit page shows the previous editing state: it is not the just updated note! So the same note has two states, one just updated through sync'ing with my desktop, and another which was the older version that shows up when I tried to edit the note. If I close the editing page, the new note appears. If I try to edit it, the old one appears. Anyone knows why and what to do?? ,

Guest mrossk

I have problems editing bullets as others posted here. In addition, I have something else today. This note with bullets has just been updated by a change I made in a desktop EN. When I tried to edit the note in my Android, the edit page shows the previous editing state: it is not the just updated note! So the same note has two states, one just updated through sync'ing with my desktop, and another which was the older version that shows up when I tried to edit the note. If I close the editing page, the new note appears. If I try to edit it, the old one appears. Anyone knows why and what to do?? ,

I have sometimes the same problem. When you edit a note with bullets on android then this note is sometimes not synced: In edit-mode and view-mode are shown different contents.

My workaround: Edit an other line in the note and save the note again, then the first editing is included and sync does work most times. After this, delete the unneccessary changes and save again.

• 1 year later...

Given it's been some time and this issue remains re indentation, and it's quite difficult to navigate, I'm afraid I'm going to just give up on Evernote.  It wouldn't be so much of an issue if they consistently didn't allow indenting to function (even at all) in either the desktop or tablet/app version, but as one platform essentially promotes/encourages indenting as it's an easily accessed menu function but the other is essentially punitive once one does so, it's a real issue.  

So I'm giving up and looking for another product.  And, yes, I'm a premium/paying customer.  Just feedback for Evernote.

Given it's been some time and this issue remains re indentation, and it's quite difficult to navigate, I'm afraid I'm going to just give up on Evernote.  It wouldn't be so much of an issue if they consistently didn't allow indenting to function (even at all) in either the desktop or tablet/app version, but as one platform essentially promotes/encourages indenting as it's an easily accessed menu function but the other is essentially punitive once one does so, it's a real issue.  

So I'm giving up and looking for another product.  And, yes, I'm a premium/paying customer.  Just feedback for Evernote.

This is the primary reason why i won't upgrade to premium. The editing issue has been around since the beginning of time. It's a basic and essential feature, and there should be no excuses why it STILL hasn't been fixed

The issue discourages putting any formatting and any images in with notes - whats the point if everything other than plain text notes are unable to be conveniently edited and amended?

Seems every other tool has other drawbacks, been working on this for a bit.  Really ridiculous that there's not something that has off-line, easy editing, and true multi-platform support, especially where all I need are text and images, with an ability to drag and drop images in.   The closest seems to be OneNote but version issues exist.  Springpad comes somewhat close but clunky and, even with the rich API, still not quite there off-line on mobile devices.  

So I guess I'll go through all my 380 Evernote notes and un-indent and replace with tabs just so they work on the Android platform.  I wish I'd known of these bugs/feature limitations before I lost considerable note-taking opportunity and some content last weekend.  

As usual, almost no company seems to really care about their users.  It's absurd that Evernote can't AT LEAST put a warning when one indents on the desktop client or such.  Scads of notes from users on this site attest there are a rather serious set of glitches for users.  I'l have to see if I really need premium capabilities, although I don't want to risk limitations at a bad time, so probably will maintain it simply to hedge against such risks.

Archived