✔ REQUEST: Clear checked items

Yuval

Idea

I love using Evernote, however the checkbox feature is currently unusable as there is no way to clear the checked items.

If I want to use evernote as a checklist (groceries, packing list, TODOs, etc.) I really need a way to clear all the checked items from the list. This is a must-have feature for me in order to use the checkbox functionality - otherwise using the checkboxes is extremely tedious work. I think this simple feature will make the checkbox functionality extremely useful and make Evernote so much better.

31 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

What about an option to automatically clear checklists periodically? I have daily checklists, weekly checklists, and monthly checklists. It would be great if Evernote automatically unchecked all items from these lists every day, week, and month, respectively. I imagine creating a #daily tag, for example, assigning it to all my daily lists, and programming Evernote to clear all the checklists marked with the #daily tag at midnight every day.

Actually, I do something a little different. I keep a set of note templates for things like checklists and my weekly work journal. Whenever I need a new one, I copy the template to a convenient notebook (usually a Todo notebook that contains active tasks and activities). When I'm done with the checklist or journal, I move it to a Journal notebook. That let's me keep a record of accomplishments in an out-of-the-way place.

I'm on a mac. But can't seem to clear the "checked" boxes (i.e. completed items) while leaving the "not-yet-checked" boxes.

I've highlighted all the tasks with boxes. But when I click on Format>Insert To-Do from the toolbar, it simply replaces my selected items (i.e. overwrite my list) with a new To-Do box.  What am I doing wrong?

I'm a newbie, but my work around for a check list would be ... First time through check all  of the boxes; the next time I use it then consider it done, if the box is unchecked. If using multiple check lists over a short period of time and not completing any in one given session e.g. like grocery shopping then put a + at head of list if it is a checklist, and put a - if it is an un-checklist.  Not elegant, but for me it'd probably beat having to figure out that the different EN clients allow the clear all feature or do NOT (yet) allow that. As a newbie, one of the nightmares of EN is that each of the clients have different features and/or different ways in which the features work.

===========

For the check box in PC desktop client, I can start a check box list, but how do you "turn it off"? The tool bar icon does not really seem to be a toggle, and does not change appearance when you are in "check box mode" and when you are out of it.

What about an option to automatically clear checklists periodically? I have daily checklists, weekly checklists, and monthly checklists. It would be great if Evernote automatically unchecked all items from these lists every day, week, and month, respectively. I imagine creating a #daily tag, for example, assigning it to all my daily lists, and programming Evernote to clear all the checklists marked with the #daily tag at midnight every day.

I also would like this feature.  I am in the midst of trying to use Evernote as my daily driver and not use SpringPad.  But this seems rather annoying to have to see my entire checklist always.  In Springpad when a checklist has a particular item checked then you can either display all items (checked or unchecked), or automatically hide checked items so that your list of items shrinks until all items are checked and at that point completed.  Is there a way to do this currently.  Definitely a needed feature if there is not a way currently?  Any help would be appreciated!

Yes, I'd like this feature as well--this thread has been inactive for a while, but thought I'd pile on since I'm still not seeing any feature that allows me to "clear all checked" to-do iteams, in addition to the "check all" and "uncheck all" or something similar. (I'm on my PC desktop using v5.5.3, and I subscribe to "premium").  And even better would be if there's an option to delete the boxes a few seconds after they're checked, or based on a a schedule, clear items that are checked.  The next best thing would be to have a "sort" feature (or option) that automatically moves checked items to the bottom of the list, and uncecked to the top.

This would be a VERY useful feature to help me capture my running list of "to-do's", and to keep them within one list--rather than maintaining a template of things to be done daily/weekly/etc., as others have suggested.  I agree with some others that workarounds and manually deleting the items.

Please let me know if the functionality is there and I'm missing it.  And if this is something that can be expected in the near future--if not, I'll likely look for another tool that can do this!

Love the app otherwise!

Scott

• Level 5*
Is this a Premium feature or something? I do not see "To Do" in any of the right-click menus. I have tried different browsers. I have clicked on the the note in and out of edit mode. What am I missing?

You're missing the fact that Owyn was referring to the native Windows Evernote client, not the web client (the one that runs in your browser). I don't know that the web client has that functionality.

On the current Windows client the action is:

Right Click in Note Body -> To-do -> Check All | Uncheck All

Is this a Premium feature or something? I do not see "To Do" in any of the right-click menus. I have tried different browsers. I have clicked on the the note in and out of edit mode. What am I missing?

To do this on a mac its quite easy. Highlight one or more task items prefixed with a checkbox. Toggle (press twice) the "Insert To-Do" button on the top toolbar (next to the insert table button).

Thank you for adding this feature! I've been waiting for this for months.

To do this on a mac its quite easy. Highlight one or more task items prefixed with a checkbox. Toggle (press twice) the "Insert To-Do" button on the top toolbar (next to the insert table button).

• Level 5

That is a nice feature, especially when it is used with the "Copy Note" feature.

The program is becoming more and more useful as a task/to do list manager.

Thanks Evernote!

p.s. a "Due Date" column would be a great addition as mentioned by Evernote CEO Phil Libin Feb last year:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/3ad448b0-019e-48ec-a8ad-02308988dabc/37b38a665b9d3d02bea6c0b92e60f0ac

Right click on a note. Choose ToDo>Clear All Checkboxes (atleast on the current desktop version of PC)

On the current Windows client the action is:

Right Click in Note Body -> To-do -> Check All | Uncheck All

• Level 5*

It's not unusable, as the OP claimed; it's just not handled in the same way as a dedicated To-do list application. That's because Evernote's primary function is not as a To-do list. The checkboxes are a convenience, and they work fine for simple usages, for mine, in fact. If I needed more of a To-do list, I'd go back to Remember the Milk, which is about as complicated as I want to get.

Having a template for a common check list is a good idea.

I agree that it would be useful. Indeed, I stumbled over this 'cause I was looking for a way to do it. To say it is unlikely to be implemented seems silly: why have checkboxes at all if you're not going to make them useful?

Since there's no way to do this, my current plan is to make a template that I can copy every time I need to use the checklist. Not as convenient as a way to clear them, and easily subject to errors if I forget to copy it, so suboptimal. And not having tried it yet, I'm not even sure how well it will work yet.

Archived