(Archived) Note Formatting / Keyword / Notebook / Title "Sharing" 'Ribbon(s)'

Smallhands

Idea

I've been using Evernote for a goodly amount of time and evangelizing it to many folks. I've always been able to figure out what I wanted to do thus far... until yesterday when I updated to 3.06.

The interface for a given note has changed such that there is a whopping 100 vertical pixels used for Title and the Giant Sharing Arrow and Info drop down control; Notebook selection menu and keywords; and if I am editing the note text formatting controls along with record / snapshot and attach file.

I must admit I loathe this new set-up.

Is there no way to collapse this? configure it? In addition to be unsightly (which I recognize is in the eye of the beholder) I lost valuable vertical space typically at a premium on a laptop. Yes, I can scroll - BUT, content that was previously above the "fold" is now hidden below due to this vertically excessive area.

All of the text formatting controls already existed in the menu interface, so I don't need them to take up valuable screen space. Notebook and keywords are important to me. While the Note title and giant Info Sharing Arrow and Info button take approximately 38 pixels vertically.

Might sound petty, but it frustrates me to not be able to reclaim this space for the focus of my use of the tool - namely, the content!

Respectfully,

Smallhands

5 replies to this idea

The difference is an additional 6 pixels.

Well if you count the shadow it is about 9 pixels. We spent a huge amount of time with the redesign, so this is the best we have so far. I think you'll find it an improvement. Part of the redesign allows us to have an area for tons of metadata without having to create new rows in the note header in the future. We are definitely concerned about vertical space for your content.

Sorry about the few extra pixels we needed, but we really needed them.

Screen%20Shot%202012-02-03%20at%209.42.27%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202012-02-03%20at%209.42.27%20AM.jpg

• Level 5*

Minimize Note Header in UI Layout

If you are trying to provide more useable space with the new UI layout, then you could reduce the large amount of space given to the top Note Header when you open the Note in its own window. For those users desiring to maximize writing space with a "clean" view, they could open the Note in its own window and maximize the window to fill the screen.

Here's a mock up:

EN_Mac_Note_Window.png

Minimize Note Header in UI Layout

If you are trying to provide more useable space with the new UI layout, then you could reduce the large amount of space given to the top Note Header when you open the Note in its own window. For those users desiring to maximize writing space with a "clean" view, they could open the Note in its own window and maximize the window to fill the screen.

Here's a mock up:

EN_Mac_Note_Window.png

Yep, we had discussed that. There's some technical mumbo jumbo about it (it isn't impossible, just some custom work). Our designers been pushing for something like that along with other more minimalist changes.

Thanks for posting!

• Level 5*

it would be nice to have a hide/show metadata option in the menu, as a keyboard shortcut, and/or as an icon. why am i asking for another option?

1. popups are annoying and hide valuable data

2. sometimes all i need is the title, but even when i open a note in its own window, it still has the massive header, and is still not collapsible beyond 20 percent or so of the screen--the vertical loss of space is particularly irksome.

3. i don't share, i don't need the aperture icon, but i always have to look at them.

again, the ability to customize to fit our workflows would be much appreciated. it's not so much that the header is "too big," but it conveys little info in a large amount of space, and cannot be hidden or adjusted.

Archived