(Archived) Space Line issue

Dennis VJ

Idea

Hi,

How can I fix the space line between notes ?

I want to change the font size but get this :

screenshot20120202at910.png

By the way today I upgraded to premium but in the client I am free , how long usually does it take to change to premium ?

Thanks

19 replies to this idea

@Jackolicious - my bad, you are correct. This thread was the top google hit and I didn't realize he was not talking about line spacing in the text/notes itself

@GrumpyMonkey - thanks, that workaround should help until they fix core formatting problem.

So this is a thread from a year ago, and I'm wondering whether there have been any improvements / updates..

I have issues with spacing constantly, and they always come as a surprise with seemingly no way of fixing them. It would be lovely to get a button with a drop-down for line spacing options, as it is conveniently offered in Microsoft Word.

+1 for this being super annoying.  I find it hard to believe that the simplest of text formatting options aren't automatically implemented.  Isn't this an API that is included with all standard mac os programs?  Seems if you have access to the mac fonts and colors options palettes, that you would have access to the 'line spacing' menu option that is in TextEdit and other apps.

Even better would be to have a plain text option in evernote where notes are saved in plain text only, with a preference in the preferences as to how plain text notes are displayed in font/size/etc.

Contrary to what one might think, for basic notes I find that I just want the textual information, formatting just gets in the way.  yes you can cut and paste into a plain text document to strip formatting which is what I do all the time, but even then with the line spacing issue and other weirdness, evernote is proving to be more cumbersome than useful.

My parallel solution has been to use a draft email in gmail and keep editing/updating that as my to-do list.  This works very well because pasting into a draft email automatically strips to plain text, no messing about needed.  I would love to use evernote though because of the audio and image features and dedicated app syncing across devices.

Hope this is addressed soon and then I would consider becoming a paying customer.  

-m

I'm having the same issues too. You shouldnt have to cut and paste your content into another program before putting it in evernote, its a basic requirement of a simple text editor. As an aside, awesomenote does it automatically, so until its fixed I'll use that instead.

The best advice I have is to paste your text into a text editor like TextMate or Sublime, and then copy from said editor and paste into Evernote. This strips the text from their original styles and gives you better final control in Evernote.

Yeah, Sublime is geared towards coding. I wouldn't expect Evernote to compete with something like Sublime. They're tackling different markets. My point may have been blurred in the comparison. Fundamentally any application where editing text is a core component of the system should enable the user to format and maintain the text in a reliable way. When the application is forcing its own formatting (in this case line spacing) that I do not want and subsequently have to modify/fix, then I consider that a flaw. It's creating unnecessary work on my part as a result of a shortcoming in the functionality of the software. It should be fixed.

+1 on this topic. This line spacing issue is really aggravating. I agree, this is not a new feature - it's a bug fix. This is something I'd expect out of any basic text editor.

Historically I've maintain most of my notes in a plain, mono-spaced font, and when the application suddenly starts tossing in formatting like huge line spaces, it makes the entire experience very inconsistent.

As a big fan of text editors (Sublime Text, Notepad++, BBEdit, etc.), I'm trying to like Evernote, but it's things like this that really deter me from incorporating it into my workflow in any serious way. Feels half-baked in a lot of ways. While you have some terrific advanced features for handling text in images and so forth, missing the mark on core functionality like this just doesn't give me confidence it's worth making a switch from a super reliable text editor like Sublime.

The "Simplify Formatting" option should accomplish this as well. And, if I select a range of notes, I'd like to be able to apply the "Simplify Formatting" to all of them simultaneously. Currently that just doesn't work.

As a paying customer, I'd really like to be saved the time of having to work around this issue. It'd be great to see this addressed in an upcoming release.

I have the same issue. Lots & lots of basic text editing problems. Line spaces double when I don't want them. Copy & past fonts get upscaled & downscaled size at random. Deleting lines does not get rid of the bad formatting. It persists even when the bad lines are removed.

I consider these basic text editing issues, not features.

Sorry to derail the thread, but I have the same concerns as ckib with these horrendous formatting issues, specifically about spacing. "Simplify formatting" doesn't fix it. To top it all off, when I view it online it looks completely different than how it's formatted on my Mac! I hope this is addressed soon.

• Level 5

I'm pretty sure the OP was about line spacing in list view... not formatting inconsistencies. It looks like they changed their default system font to Comic Sans and can't fit note titles properly in list view...

• Level 5*

I have the same issue. Lots & lots of basic text editing problems. Line spaces double when I don't want them. Copy & past fonts get upscaled & downscaled size at random. Deleting lines does not get rid of the bad formatting. It persists even when the bad lines are removed.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear about the formatting problems you are having. There are some inconsistencies. Occasionally the font from one line carries into another when it shouldn't. Sometimes a font cannot be altered. In these cases, As a workaround, I usually use formatmatch (a free app) to cut/paste and remove any formatting. I rarely get double spacing, though.

It might help to contact customer support so that there is a record of the bug, and the data they collect will help developers to address the bugs more effectively. You can find a link in my signature.

Are there any plans to implement this? It seems like a no-brainer. I know Evernote does not want to get into word-processing, but this seems like an easy fix for something that makes Evernote much less useful.

We don't usually give roadmaps, so nothing really to announce at this point

Are there any plans to implement this? It seems like a no-brainer. I know Evernote does not want to get into word-processing, but this seems like an easy fix for something that makes Evernote much less useful.

evernote (next to the apple in the top right corner of your screen) -> preferences

you can change fonts and font sizes there. as for the upgrade, i would think that it would be immediate. you should contact support or try the chat in your account on the website client.

https://www.evernote...ontact/support/

Thanks GrumpyMonkey for quick reply.

What I want to do is to change the space between lines , If I change to a big font the list get messed .

Thanks

Archived