Hello,

I love evernote but the fact that android does not have an undo/redo is making me reconsider my use :S... I found an app called "natural notes" that allow you to undo/redo with two simple back and forth buttons.. It is imperative that when I'm taking a note than I can cancel editing and it's something that's existed since the 80's on computers. I know it's an android problem but you can make it right by adding these simple buttons or allowing the user to shake their phone like an iphone.. Is there a reason why this has not been implemented for evernote for android?

Thanks!

Seb

• 2 months later...

+1! I've killed a few notes by accidental keyboard actions. Then panicked, killed the sync process, got to my desktop and modified it there to ensure it doesn't get deleted. PITA, and big time waster. I'm not always near my desktop either. This is a standard program feature from the '90's.

That's a good idea, and I would assume that would work as long as you don't fully delete the note (I guess in that case it should show up in the Trash though), but it must be implemented from the Desk client. Since this is the Android forum it would be great if there was an Android solution. I don't see either History or Trash on the Android client. Am I missing it?

Back in January I was at a seminar and was taking notes on y android phone when all of a sudden something went wrong and the contents of my note I was working on disappeared! I was making sure to save it periodically (something that appears to be a pain with the android version), and I thougth I told it to save when it cleared it out.

I complained on twitter, but never saw a response. I see that there are ways to roll back a note for premium members, but that's BS that the program glitches and deletes my data. I like that Evernote is truely cross platform, but there's no point to it if it randomly glitches and deletes the data!

I recorded the rest of my notes in the gmail app. Not what it was intended for, but at least I didn't lose them.

I randomly decided to check things out today when I saw that other people sem to have had the same problem. Any official word from Evernote on this?

I jotted down a part number of a part I needed for my car today. I was trying to copy/paste it to search the web and fat-fingered it into oblivion. This was before the note was ever saved in the first place. Not having undo for Android is almost unforgivable. Is there any plan to fix this?

You can access previous note versions from the Desktop Clients or from Evernote Web by clicking into the specific note and selecting "Note History".

Which is not what we're asking for. We are asking for an UNDO button. Add this to my request list as well, AFTER the ability to select list view on my tablet.

~D.

• 2 months later...

The "Undo" command is a basic requirement of any data entry system. A data entry system with no "Undo" is inferior to pencil & paper.

When Evernote for Android finally includes an "Undo" command, I will upgrade to a Premium Evernote account, but not before.

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Mr Evernote,

please, please FIX this (the painful 'omission' of an 'undo' command). 'UNDO' is a *must have*. ('redo,' by comparison, is a 'nice to have').

As others have noted, this is not a fundamental limitation of the android platform per-say. e.g. Polaris office -- which came for 'free' bundled by HTC on my evo, figured out how to add this feature to their editor environment, so why oh-why can't you emulated whatever workaround they (or others) have shown the way with to provide this?

To further motivate why this is an inescapably needed feature -- consider: a 'finger,' my finger, is going for an on-screen button -- just as the orientation sensor kicks in --- and suddenly I discover I've hit 'select-all' and yet.. as my brain tried to correct the errant finger's intertially driven forward movement, I've too had another finger tap a key on the now newly positioned keyboard that's pop'ed up. Kaboom! all my text...perhaps paragraphs I've just lovingly pecked out, are all replaced with some 'single letter' like 'g', or whatever key was tapped. The horror, oh, then the horror, when I then recall, omg -- Mr. Evernote cares not enough to prioritize adding an *undo* and all my text is GONE.

This has occurred (or some trivially-similar variant of it), at least 5 times now using evernote I signed up with my premium account ~5 months ago. Please, please Mr. Evernote, don't 'bust the trust' you've been building with me.

I candidly can not yet recommend evernote (as a reliable-enough-cross-platform 'suite') -- to friends who ask me about my usage. Instead, I say "Wait still, it's too immature yet." Add this feature ..finally.. to your android client, and Mr. Evernote, you'd get more business when I tell them -- "yeah, and definitely sign up for premium as you give it a go."

Again, please FIX this (add AN 'undo'-- last one or two actions 'deep' only is 'fine'), and avoid such 'user-alienating-experiences' being created. We'll all be happier, including your bottom line.

best regards,

Matt

• 1 month later...

I use Evernote constantly on my Droid 4, which has a keyboard. The menu key works as a control key, making it easy to select text with Shift + arrow keys and cut-copy-paste with Menu + X C V. But sometimes, the menu key gets stuck as a control key when I start typing again, then as I'm typing, when I hit the A key, it acts as Ctrl-A and selects all the text. The next key I type then overwrites the selected text -- i.e. the entire file!

The only recourse I have at that point is to hit the back button and revert all my changes to the previous version, then start retyping my changes. As you can imagine, this is phenomenally frustrating.

I've had this happen any number of times (a couple of dozen?) since I've owned my phone, and it's the absolute worst part of using Evernote for me. (Otherwise, I enjoy Evernote a great deal!)

I would really, really appreciate it if you could add an Undo feature to Evernote that allows me to undo individual actions (i.e. overwriting all the text) rather than forcing me to revert all my changes.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Any further official update from Evernote on this? I would agree that lack of UNDO support for ANY modern day editor is absolutely unacceptable! UNDO support in Evernote for Android should be considered a REALLY high priority item ... and being able to restore from previous notes history is NOT an acceptable solution.

Could we PLEASE get an official response to this?

• 1 year later...

Just lost a large amount of irreplaceable data in a note this morning due to exactly this... I am MD of an office full of android users, and have spent the last two weeks preparing them for the fact that I'm implementing Evernote for Business across the entire business. If this undo function doesn't appear, we won't be switching. We intend to use EN for live meeting notes. One slip of the finger could delete a couple of hours of vital meeting notes (often no WiFi). No thanks. Dealbreaker. 72 users.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 from me as well. I've been using Evernote on my iPad for a few months now and have loved it. This morning though - I go to edit a note on my new android phone, accidentally hold backspace down too long and most of my note is wiped out...

I see the built in mail app on the Samsung Galaxy has an undo AND a redo button. Amazing. Maybe I should just switch to taking my notes on that and emailing them in to my Evernote account. ..

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just started using Evernote on a new Sony Xperia phone, so new to Android...

And I had a previous version of Evernote. So when I accidently deleted a chunk of text from notes from a presentation I was attending, I couldn't get the text back! GRRR!

Just downloaded 6.2.1, and I find an undo and redo function... good to see it's finally been implemented.

(I left this comment in case anyone else is still looking)

Archived