What's the deal with CrossFit?

I know basically what wikipedia knows, and I've seen it everywhere lately, mostly in advertisments. It's popularity appears to be tied to the growth in popularity of those Warrior Dashes, too. Lots of social media involved in both, since they tend to be smaller startups and nothing involving the big box exercise places.

Basically, it just looks like a souped up version of boot camp to me, with a dash of the things they do in those crazy "strongest guy carrying around giant barrels" tournaments.

I know basically what wikipedia knows, and I've seen it everywhere lately, mostly in advertisments. It's popularity appears to be tied to the growth in popularity of those Warrior Dashes, too. Lots of social media involved in both, since they tend to be smaller startups and nothing involving the big box exercise places.

Basically, it just looks like a souped up version of boot camp to me, with a dash of the things they do in those crazy "strongest guy carrying around giant barrels" tournaments.

Geoff,

I owned a CrossFit affiliate for 4 years and it's foundations are fairly sound. If used correctly, it has some great fitness principles. I'd highly suggest checking out their journal articles explaining more. Go to their What is CrossFit page (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html) and read through the 3 articles on the right hand side.

A CrossFit facility however is a different situation. CrossFit is a fitness program, it's not a business. Unfortunately there are many poorly run facilities mixed in with the good ones and I highly recommend some research and trials if you're considering joining one.

That's just my personal opinion though. Use it as you please.

That makes sense, thanks for your response. I've looked into some of the less gear-heavy stuff they do, and will spend some time at that link.

No worries on the facility aspect though--excepting say biking clubs and boot camps, I'm pretty allergic to the idea of memberships and the whole retail aspect of exercise--like my exercise at home or outdoors.

• 1 month later...

Crossfit is not just a workout regimen, it is a way of life. From nutrition, to its exercise methodology, those that adhere to it, reap the benefits of a lifestyle that has the ability to transform an average individual, into an fitness elite. Since joining a Crossfit affiliate about 6 weeks ago, and starting a 30 day nutrition challenge, I have already begun to reap many benefits from a change of life. I used to suffer from chronic sinusitis that was so bad that I am ashamed to even say just how many medications that I was taking just to make it tolerable. However, since I have started this challenge I am enjoying being virtually medication free, and this is only in 23 days. Some other benefits I have noticed have been a tremendous improvement in recovery from intense workouts, and let me tell you, Crossfit will put you through the most intensive workouts you have ever been through! Some word of caution though would be that you check out any box before joining. I have been fortunate that the one I am a member of is outstanding, but I have heard some horror stories, and remember, there is a difference between intensity and insanity. Push, but listen to your body, and remember form always takes precedence over performance! If you have to break form in order to complete a movement then you need to stop!

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you have had a great experience Catchme. I have recently become interested in it. Are you following a Paleo diet?

Chad I have been following some of your posts. What is your experience in the fitness industry? What type of training do you prefer? Are you a crossfit fan?

Chad I have been following some of your posts. What is your experience in the fitness industry? What type of training do you prefer? Are you a crossfit fan?

I have been in the fitness industry for about 10 years personal training, personal training manager, owning/operating a CrossFit facility and now with my own online coaching company. I am a fan of many of the principles of CrossFit but have lost interest in those that believe it is the only option out there. It is a great tool and can be used as such, but it can also be used improperly and I've seen many people get injured without proper instruction. (but that goes without proper instruction in any realm I guess).

I'd first want to know what your goals are and then see if something like CrossFit would be the right tool for the job.

• 3 months later...

If you're new to Crossfit you might be wondering what exactly it is, and how it can help you. We can start by defining Crossfit. According the the CrossFit Journal, CrossFit is a core strength and conditioning program that has been designed to help anyone who wants to optimize their physical competence. Whether you are a weekend athlete or you just want to have the best health possible, CrossFit is designed to help you by working you out in each of ten recognized fitness domains. These ten domains are Cardiovascular and Respiratory endurance, Stamina, Strength, Flexibility, Power, Speed, Coordination, Agility, Balance, and Accuracy.

If you're thinking I don't want to be an athlete but I want to be healthy, or is Crossfit really for me? Then you would really enjoy reading through this blog at http://www.northrimcrossfit.com/what-is-crossfit.

Best of luck everyone!!

• 2 years later...

I love Crossfit! :) It really powers me out.. I feel my whole body after a work out, I think it is the complete training if you dont want to focus too much on only one part of your body. Usually, I start with a little run on the crosstrainer before I go to the crossfit workout class ^^

It is really curious to see that over the past 2 yrs more and more people have started to join this class, it is getting more and more popular by the month! Especially now when the cold season is starting again, I will invest more time in sports and the gym, pretty sure that crossfit will find its place in my work out plan :)

Archived