(Archived) REQUEST: Clipping to shared notebooks

Orca Health

As the title suggests, our group of users at Orca Health would very much like to Web Clip to a shared account.

Giovanna F. of the online chat customer service help team suggested a workaround wherein we copy and paste the Web Clips from our own folders into the shared folder.

This, of course, defeats the entire purpose of Evernote.

I should have narrowed my critique. It does not defeat the entire purpose of Evernote.

To employ the workaround for that feature defeats the advantages we hoped Evernote would bring to that activity.

This is particularly frustrating when that particular shared activity--group web browsing, discovery and sharing (cross group & device)--is one of the main reasons for our adoption of Evernote.

• Level 5*

It is a workaround, so at least you have that. Maybe at some future date, Evernote will let you do what you want. You should know that Evernote staff do read all posts.

Actually, it never occurred to me that I couldn't use a shared notebook as my web clipping notebook, but...

it would be nice feature, only if EN warned me when I tried to clip to a shared folder.

In my mind, it would far to dangerous to allow clipping to shared folders without warning you about what you were doing.

Since I find myself doing research for a particular client or subject matter area, I wouldn't mind an option to have the notebook and tags selected be "sticky" - I clip one item choose the notebook and tags, then when I clip the next item, that notebbok and those tags would already be selected. If I change them, that's what comes up next time. (This would have to be an opton that could be toggled on and off!)

I, for one, am really quite annoyed by the fact you can't web clip to Shared folders...Especially since I just spent 20$ (out of my student budget) to buy premium accounts for my group members for a month. We're doing a systematic literature review using an online database and it's vital that we be able to instantaneously share interesting finding among ourselves.

Before I bought the subscription, I had been evangelizing about how great the system was, how it was so flexible etc when all of a sudden we ran into this problem. I can' think of any technological reason why it shouldn't be possible.

Please, Evernote, fix this problem so I don't have to use this embarrassing workaround.

I won't renew our group subscription unless you get this solved.

As the title suggests, our group of users at Orca Health would very much like to Web Clip to a shared account.

Giovanna F. of the online chat customer service help team suggested a workaround wherein we copy and paste the Web Clips from our own folders into the shared folder.

This, of course, defeats the entire purpose of Evernote.

I'm confused.

After looking at this discussion in the forum again, I decided to try it. I was able to clip to a publicly shared folder (this one) using the Firefox add-in to both the Evernote web portal and to my Windows desktop client, depending on the settings in the Firefox Evernote plug-in.

https://www.evernote...fb-a3d21c36284f

What environment are you using that won't allow this?

Note: The notebook I clipped to is a publicly shared notebook.

It appears you are the 'owner' of that notebook. You can always clip to notebooks you 'own'.

The reverse use case where you clip to a notebook someone shared with you is currently not supported but something we are looking at improving.

There are multiple details we are considering and looking for feedback on:

- Tags - If you are the owner of the shared notebook would you be fine with other user creating clips with tags that will end up populating your account?

- Quota - As the owner would you be fine with clips to a shared notebook counting against your quota?

Tags:

I'd like automatic assignment of higher level tags when a sub-tag is added to a note (with an option to toggle the auto assignment on or off), and I'd like to see the tags ordered by hierarchy instead of alpha in the notes list and the note view. Maybe: Parent Tag: Child Tag, Independent Tag nstead of Child Tag, Independent Tag, Parent Tag - which would be the current alpha order. I think this can be done using the same information already collected when someone sets up sub-tags in the left panel.

Perhaps, if the above were done, additionally tags on shared notebooks could be limited to that notebook.

Quota:

I'd say storage counts against the owner, bandwidth could count against the account doing the clipping or against the owner.

But, when you get right down to it, why would I allow someone to clip to a shared notebook I owned if I couldn't rely on them to be responsible?

Don't know if this is supported now, but...

It would be handy to view a list of tags only appearing in one notebook or one stack so that I could easily delete the ones getting in the way.

A bigger question might be: Would you allow a non-owner to clip to a public notebook? I think the answer to that would be NO! If that's correct, then it really is up to the notebook owner to grant shared clipping privileges carefully.

ALSO:

Perhaps, when shared clipping is allowed, a quota could be set for each user allowed to clip to it or a single limit that applies to each user individually, or even warning notifications to the notebook owner when excessive quota is being consumed.

It would also be handy to view the quota consumed by each user, and the items clipped or edited by each user, so that you can tell if anyone's getting out of hand.

THE MAIN ISSUE FOR ME:

If I allowed someone to clip to my shared notebook, I'd want to know if they were causing my account to approach the monthly quota in time to do something about it.

• Level 5*
I'd like automatic assignment of higher level tags when a sub-tag is added to a note (with an option to toggle the auto assignment on or off)

Finally found my prior post where I proposed something like this. Wow, it's nearly two years old now... Still think it would be useful, but only if it were an open (why I proposed a separate operation) rather than required behavior.

Archived