(Archived) Evernote for Mac 3.0.6 Beta 3

dlu

Idea

Hello Mac users!

We have a beta 3 incorporating feedback from previous versions. We've made design changes to the note info panel so you can see created & updated dates while browsing through notes (Yes you will still need to use the note info popover to edit meta data).

The note info popover now has fields that are editable clearly marked. Dates also do a smart validation. You can enter multiple date formats and even partial dates or dates without times. The date fields should handle those appropriately.

We also have a new registration/login flow. Please let us know if you see any errors in this.

And finally, we added back in the font color picker and made some misc bug fixes.

If you've opted into the Betas, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates

If you're not auto-updating, you can get the beta here: http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_219910.zip

62 replies to this idea

Has there been any improvements made to simplify formatting function? Sometime when I paste something form the web and then choose to simplify formatting Everntoe does nothing. I have to paste in plain text because Evernote can't simplify.

Also, why can't I drag my own stack to Evernote's favourite bar?

• Level 5*

Issues with the Note Info Pop-up Window

1. Please make the background colors SOLID.
    • The semi-transparent colors simply make the text harder to read
    • I see no value added for transparentcy

[*]Please make the field captions and text larger

• Current size is hard to read, especially on laptops and for people with less than 20/20 vision
  • You already provide user options for Text in Preferences, you could add a setting for this.

[*]Please make the window be a normal window that is movable and stays displayed until the user closes

• Currently the window is auto-closed whenever the user clicks on anything else, even other apps
  • Makes it hard to compare Notes, and to copy/paste data with other apps
  • Would be very nice if it would stay open, and I could change Notes with the Note Info updating as I change Notes.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
Request: Can we please get strikethrough on the note editing toolbar. It's in nearly ever RTF toolbar I see (including the one for this comment) but not Evernote.

Awww, that's just Evernote "Thinking Different".

Request: Can we please get strikethrough on the note editing toolbar. It's in nearly ever RTF toolbar I see (including the one for this comment) but not Evernote.
Awww, that's just Evernote "Thinking Different".

Noted

Issues with the Note Info Pop-up Window
  1. Please make the background colors SOLID.
    • The semi-transparent colors simply make the text harder to read
    • I see no value added for transparentcy

[*]Please make the field captions and text larger

• Current size is hard to read, especially on laptops and for people with less than 20/20 vision
  • You already provide user options for Text in Preferences, you could add a setting for this.
Please make the window be a normal window that is movable and stays displayed until the user closes
  • Currently the window is auto-closed whenever the user clicks on anything else, even other apps
  • Makes it hard to compare Notes, and to copy/paste data with other apps
  • Would be very nice if it would stay open, and I could change Notes with the Note Info updating as I change Notes.

Thanks.

Transparancy

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the popover that is harder to read for you? Just want to make sure we're looking at similar screens & examples.

Field captions & text larger

I'm assuming these were hard to read in the old design as well?

Window being a normal window

This is actually standard popover behavior. For what we think the normal use case is, the standard dismissal behavior is more streamlined rather than having to explicitly dismiss.

• Level 5*

EDIT: Add Popover image

Transparancy

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the popover that is harder to read for you? Just want to make sure we're looking at similar screens & examples.

First, many thanks for your quick response.

An example of the popover has already been posted in this thread.

See post above by pgdahl: http://discussion.ev...post__p__121504

EDIT: Here's my example:

EN_Mac_3.0.6.B3_Popover.gif

Field captions & text larger

I'm assuming these were hard to read in the old design as well?

The font size seems smaller now. IAC, if you could increase the point size by at least 1 PT, preferably 2 PT, it would be MUCH more readable, and I don't think it would have any adverse effects. You could probably reduce the vertical space between fields if needed.

Window being a normal window

This is actually standard popover behavior. For what we think the normal use case is, the standard dismissal behavior is more streamlined rather than having to explicitly dismiss.

A quick CMD+W closes the window, so you lose a lot for a very small amount of "streamlining".

The standard Finder Inspector window is a standard window.

If you want to do some streamlining that will help a lot, make the font color picker be a one-click choice which closes the selection window after the color is picked.

A popover behavior is OK for READ-ONLY windows. I don't think they are a good design choice for data entry windows.

Request: Clicking on the title of a new note when it says Untitled Note should select the title so when I start typing it writes over Untitled Note. Does that make sense?

makes sense and thinking about it *ponders*

• Level 5*

dlu,

Thanks for asking me to post an image of my Note popover. I have edited my last post and added my example.

Looking at it reminded me of another issue: All Tags are NOT shown.

If we are going to have a popover, then it should word-wrap the Tag list so that all tags can be seen at once, and edited if necessary.

Thanks.

EDIT: Add Popover image

EDIT: Here's my example:

EN_Mac_3.0.6.B3_Popover.gif

Are you using a non-English language perhaps? I'm seeing a lot less transparency in my popover, so I'm going to track down why

*Edit: I realize that the screenshot is in English, but in case you're in a language that hasn't been translated at all and just displays English anyways...

• Level 5*

Are you using a non-English language perhaps? I'm seeing a lot less transparency in my popover, so I'm going to track down why

"Non-English" ????

100% English.

But why have transparency at all?

What's the benefit?

Why waste time tracking down a problem easily solved?

"Non-English" ????

100% English.

But why have transparency at all?

What's the benefit?

Why waste time tracking down a problem easily solved?

That's just how popovers look and feel. I know you'd rather them not be popovers, but I kinda dig it :)

I appreciate your concerns regarding deletes, but isn't this a slight overkill in erring? If the notes have been sitting in the trash long enough to only empty it 'once in a while' then surely we should know that they are ready for erasure. This is 1. why I suggested we should be given the *option* to have what you see as 'a glitch' be made a true choice, and 2. why the default button for emptying the trash should be Delete.

Apologies for going on about this but it's been an irritant to me for quite a while. Your glitch seems to me could be a very useful, user-decided *option*: leave the Erase/Restore buttons visible for a few seconds, rather than the split second enjoyed by the glitch, so we don't have to hop in and out of our notebooks all the time and then be forced to put further strain on our mouse in order to finally empty the trash. To repeat, this would appear to be a wonderfully handy option and, failing that ...

... Do not forget that Apple itself offers the option of whether or not we want Trash warnings in the Finder, so why can't Evernote trust us enough to know what we want and at least give us the choice to make the Delete button the default?

With infinite respect, an otherwise happy and ever grateful Evernote fan.

I can see your point, but there are still instances of people accidentally deleting notes under the current scheme. Losing your data is pretty much the worst possible thing that Evernote can do, so we'll probably consider erring on the side of caution.

There's going to be some weird freak-ish incident where a user has that option selected and accidentally hits a bunch of keys on the keyboard, including delete & enter and a note goes away forever. This weird stuff seems to happen all the time (or the customer support folks go around telling me these stories just to stress me out). I suspect weird things like this happen and currently people just check their trash and go "oh, how did that get deleted?"

Now I'm curious though, what workflow do you have that involves deleting regularly? Perhaps there's something else we can make easier

Not so much a question of workflow,but I find I often delete when editing notes clipped from the web and the formatting or spacing goes awry. This most often happens when I remove a couple of lines or want to get rid of an embedded pic. I then delete the note, reclip the web selection and fix accordingly.

As to another solution: If you don't like my original idea of allowing the 'glitch' we talked about, where the Erase/Restore note window appears temporarily, to become a feature whereby the Erase/Restore buttons would remain visible for a couple of seconds as a note is sent to the Trash, how about adding an Erase option to the Trash's contextual menu?

Thanks for clearing up the ugly buttons! However, you may want to take a look at the buttons in the information pop over as well; they don't look quite right. This is what I mean:

20120123-q4i125hdshpg5k3ahtu8k3fs98.jpg

Obviously, there's a cropping issue with the text as well, but it's more the overall look of the buttons I find less than aesthetic.

On this beta otherwise: I am slightly disappointed that all the fuzz about dates being hidden away has resulted in its polar opposite: Now I am forced to see the dates in a rather prominent position whether I want to or not - and I do not. Not a fan of the new position and styling of the link either.

Weird Buttons

Yeah, looks like a localization issue. Thanks for bringing it up, localization is usually one of the later steps in our process and it is good to know what we still need to work on. Looks like there's some words/phrases still to be translated as well. Is that Danish you happen to have? (Apologies if I'm guessing incorrectly).

Dates

I can definitely see your point. *sigh* We do like this design though and hope it works well for most people

Not so much a question of workflow,but I find I often delete when editing notes clipped from the web and the formatting or spacing goes awry. This most often happens when I remove a couple of lines or want to get rid of an embedded pic. I then delete the note, reclip the web selection and fix accordingly.

As to another solution: If you don't like my original idea of allowing the 'glitch' we talked about, where the Erase/Restore note window appears temporarily, to become a feature whereby the Erase/Restore buttons would remain visible for a couple of seconds as a note is sent to the Trash, how about adding an Erase option to the Trash's contextual menu?

We have an empty trash :) Or am I misunderstanding?

Just noticed the URL is buried in the info pop-up. Could we get that back on the main toolbars? I use that one very often.

It's next to the dates when you're not focused on the note body. (The area where the rich text toolbar are). To edit though, you'll need to go into the note info panel

Weird Buttons

Yeah, looks like a localization issue. Thanks for bringing it up, localization is usually one of the later steps in our process and it is good to know what we still need to work on. Looks like there's some words/phrases still to be translated as well. Is that Danish you happen to have? (Apologies if I'm guessing incorrectly).

Yes, it is indeed Danish. I do realise that localisation is not finished (and I can live with that) which may cause the weird cropping. However, unless I am mistaken, there shouldn't be buttons at all. Only links. Is this a localisation thing too?

Dates

I can definitely see your point. *sigh* We do like this design though and hope it works well for most people

I understand the dilemma. But here's to hoping the quest for a middle of the road thing hasn't ended yet.

So they look like links, but act more like buttons. Anyways, we'll get it fixed.

In regards to dates, we might do some tweaking, but we're fairly happy with what we have now

We have an empty trash :P Or am I misunderstanding?

You are misunderstanding. I should have made it clearer.

My suggestion is that you add a third menu item to the contextual menu. Keep 'Empty Trash...' and 'Restore Deleted Notes...' the way you like them, but add a third 'Erase Notes' item without a '...' which would empty the trash immediately, no questions asked, and without bringing up a dialog to confirm.

thank you so much for these changes! i appreciate being able to see the "created" and "updated" dates again.

unfortunately, we still can't see the time. i realize it's cleaner, this way, but i often need to see, at a glance, the chronological order of my notes (while they are sorted alphabetically or otherwise).

while i fully appreciate this cleaner look, i'd still appreciate the option (via preferences) to show the times, as well. that way, those who prefer the cleaner look can retain it. (i do prefer the cleaner look, myself, but i need to see the times notes were taken.)

thanks.

"Paste to Evernote" is now broken.

in the past, invoking the paste command (⌃⌘V) from safari would cause EN to launch, if it wasn't running. but that has stopped working. i now have to launch EN manually for the paste command to work. this is a very recent development (presumably with 3.0.6 beta 3).

hope to see it fixed soon!

thanks.

"Paste to Evernote" is now broken. in the past, invoking the paste command (⌃⌘V) from safari would cause EN to launch, if it wasn't running. but that has stopped working. i now have to launch EN manually for the paste command to work. this is a very recent development (presumably with 3.0.6 beta 3). hope to see it fixed soon! thanks.

Looking into it

thank you so much for these changes! i appreciate being able to see the "created" and "updated" dates again. unfortunately, we still can't see the time. i realize it's cleaner, this way, but i often need to see, at a glance, the chronological order of my notes (while they are sorted alphabetically or otherwise). while i fully appreciate this cleaner look, i'd still appreciate the option (via preferences) to show the times, as well. that way, those who prefer the cleaner look can retain it. (i do prefer the cleaner look, myself, but i need to see the times notes were taken.) thanks.

thanks for the feedback. I'm not a big fan of having time be an option, but I'll discuss with the team

Possible bug: It seems like the keyboard shortcuts to format text in the editor, specifically ⌘B, ⌘I and ⌘U, are broken. At least, I am presented which OS X's annoying error sound when I apply them.

Can anyone confirm this or is it just a quirk on my end?

Possible bug: It seems like the keyboard shortcuts to format text in the editor, specifically ⌘B, ⌘I and ⌘U, are broken. At least, I am presented which OS X's annoying error sound when I apply them.

No such problem with format shortcuts on my Mac.

Pretty sure it's the new beta, though. Just updated on my other Mac. Before the update, it worked as expected (that is, on 3.0.6B2) after the update, Beta 3, it doesn't.

Possible bug: It seems like the keyboard shortcuts to format text in the editor, specifically ⌘B, ⌘I and ⌘U, are broken. At least, I am presented which OS X's annoying error sound when I apply them. Can anyone confirm this or is it just a quirk on my end?
Pretty sure it's the new beta, though. Just updated on my other Mac. Before the update, it worked as expected (that is, on 3.0.6B2) after the update, Beta 3, it doesn't.

Could you create a new note, type in some text, try bold, italic, and underline via both shortcuts and the toolbar and then PM me the activity log? I'll look into it, this is the only case I've heard of that happening.

thanks!

Possible bug: It seems like the keyboard shortcuts to format text in the editor, specifically ⌘B, ⌘I and ⌘U, are broken. At least, I am presented which OS X's annoying error sound when I apply them. Can anyone confirm this or is it just a quirk on my end?

Could you create a new note, type in some text, try bold, italic, and underline via both shortcuts and the toolbar and then PM me the activity log? I'll look into it, this is the only case I've heard of that happening.

thanks!

Done. Turns out ⌘U is not affected. Also, the options to use italics and bold is greyed out from the formatting menu. I've double checked that both ⌘B and ⌘I works in Pages, TextEdit and a few other apps (including this editor), and the problem does seem to be isolated to Evernote.

One general question:

The recent discussions about the UI changes have shown, that the importance and relevance of different parts of the UI, also specific parts of the meta-data differ from user to user.

While I don't care too much about when a certain note was edited last it might matter a lot to someone else.

I would appreciate it, if Evernote took that into account and made the UI a little bit more customizable.

For example:

+ select different kinds of meta-data that you would like to see in the edit window and put them in your preferred order (like you can drag&drop the buttons in the Firefox toolbar)

+ same with the info pop-up

I guess this way you can make everybody happy :-)

Thank you for the elegant changes in B3. Much improved.

One more (2 part) request:

When deleting a note the option to erase/restore the note pops up briefly, but doesn't remain on screen long enough to select one of these buttons.

Can we have an option to leave it there longer so we don't have to move over to Trash to complete the erasing?

And failing that, once in Trash, can you make Delete (rather than Cancel) the default so we can hit Return in order to delete rather than having to click on the Delete button?

Thanks for all your great work.

I agree with trumpetg - the changes to the note info area and the popover are elegant and much improved. Thanks for listening to our feedback!

The first thing I check with these new betas is whether right-clicking or double-tapping on a PDF or an image crashes the program. (I reported this issue earlier - see Ticket #16051-48185. And this thread essentially describes my problem.) As far as I can tell, it has not been resolved. At the very least, Evernote no longer gives the spinning beach ball of death - it just shuts down almost immediately and opens up a crash reporter.

One thing I hadn't noticed before, however, just is the Evernote crash reporter - after a crash, a new window pops up and invites me to send details in. I have never seen this before and it makes reporting crashes pretty effortless. That is also a very welcome change. Hopefully the crash reports I have sent - already about five or so - help to make the program better.

Thank you for the elegant changes in B3. Much improved.

One more (2 part) request:

When deleting a note the option to erase/restore the note pops up briefly, but doesn't remain on screen long enough to select one of these buttons.

Can we have an option to leave it there longer so we don't have to move over to Trash to complete the erasing?

And failing that, once in Trash, can you make Delete (rather than Cancel) the default so we can hit Return in order to delete rather than having to click on the Delete button?

Thanks for all your great work.

It actually shouldn't show at all, that's a glitch. The flow we favor is going to be deleting and every once in a while emptying your trash. Your quota isn't based on maximum storage anyways.

The downside of the flow you suggest is that it makes it easier for users to permanently delete notes, and we'd rather err on the side of making it harder to delete

I agree with trumpetg - the changes to the note info area and the popover are elegant and much improved. Thanks for listening to our feedback!

The first thing I check with these new betas is whether right-clicking or double-tapping on a PDF or an image crashes the program. (I reported this issue earlier - see Ticket #16051-48185. And this thread essentially describes my problem.) As far as I can tell, it has not been resolved. At the very least, Evernote no longer gives the spinning beach ball of death - it just shuts down almost immediately and opens up a crash reporter.

One thing I hadn't noticed before, however, just is the Evernote crash reporter - after a crash, a new window pops up and invites me to send details in. I have never seen this before and it makes reporting crashes pretty effortless. That is also a very welcome change. Hopefully the crash reports I have sent - already about five or so - help to make the program better.

-PDF crashes

We'll try to spend some more time on bug fixes before the GA that's coming up soon. The PDF issue is a bit strange, but on our radar

-Crash reporter

Glad you like it! We're trying out a new crash reporter and it seems to be going well. We've been getting useful data from it. Thanks for sending!

The minimalist new header creates a much better visual focus on the content.

To this end, I think the first line of content is too close to the new shadow at the top, and the left margin is out of alignment with the header text.

Just a few more pixels added the the margins top and left would stop the feeling that the content is scrunched into the top corner, and improve readability. I've always thought that the content margins are too small, and this would be an ideal opportunity to fix them.

But overall, a great job!

Thanks, Metrodon. If I upgrade and don't like the new beta (that looks nice, but I don't have Lion, so I don't think I can hide the left panel or use the favorites bar, and so I still don't know exactly what the UI will look like for me), I think I know how to revert to the current stable release, but does that process involve the hours-long reload of all my notes, or do those automatically boot up after I've re-downloaded Evernote if I follow the steps linked there?

• Level 5*

I don't think you get the new UI if you aren't running Lion.

Reverting won't cause you to have to download your notes - you are only replacing the application file.

(Don't think you need to bother rebooting either - it's OS X not Windows :) )

• Level 5*

3.0.6 B3 BUG Report

A new note disappears from the screen (but is still in the DB) as soon as the Notebook is changed.

This makes entering a new note quite a challenge. :-)

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Click "All Notes" icon to ensure that all Notes are shown.
  2. Click "New Note" icon
  3. Enter title
  4. Change Notebook on Note form

The new Note disappears from both the Note body panel, and from the Snippet view list.

Click "All Notes" again to see the new Note in the list.

FIX: Obviously, changing the Notebook when creating a new Note should NOT cause the Note to disappear.

This is a very common use case.

I have some issues with the beta version of Evernote:

- Can't change the tags for more than one note at once (maybe this was never possible with the MAC version!? I'm using this at work with my Windows)

- When I change a tag the Updated date of the note is changed. This is quiet annoying when tagging old notes

... One more (2 part) request:

It actually shouldn't show at all, that's a glitch. The flow we favor is going to be deleting and every once in a while emptying your trash. Your quota isn't based on maximum storage anyways.

The downside of the flow you suggest is that it makes it easier for users to permanently delete notes, and we'd rather err on the side of making it harder to delete

I appreciate your concerns regarding deletes, but isn't this a slight overkill in erring? If the notes have been sitting in the trash long enough to only empty it 'once in a while' then surely we should know that they are ready for erasure. This is 1. why I suggested we should be given the *option* to have what you see as 'a glitch' be made a true choice, and 2. why the default button for emptying the trash should be Delete.

Apologies for going on about this but it's been an irritant to me for quite a while. Your glitch seems to me could be a very useful, user-decided *option*: leave the Erase/Restore buttons visible for a few seconds, rather than the split second enjoyed by the glitch, so we don't have to hop in and out of our notebooks all the time and then be forced to put further strain on our mouse in order to finally empty the trash. To repeat, this would appear to be a wonderfully handy option and, failing that ...

... Do not forget that Apple itself offers the option of whether or not we want Trash warnings in the Finder, so why can't Evernote trust us enough to know what we want and at least give us the choice to make the Delete button the default?

+1 with the PDF bug, erkenntnis posted above. I also did send a crash report on this issue.

The shortcuts for bold and italic text seem broken as the entries in the menu are permanently disabled. Although underline and using the buttons in the editor work fine.

Thank you for the beta update, I like it better, but there are two things I would like the design team to consider:

dlu posted before that they did not want to compromise design decision in favor of giving users options, and my response is, a component of good design is usability. You could make some of the most beautiful software in the world, but if people cannot use it well in their day to day lives (or it takes us longer than we'd like to do tasks), then the design has not worked.

toward this end, I note that link, updated date and creation date are now viewable in the new beta. Is it at all possible to add "author" to this line?

Very happy with the new beta update:

- I wasn't one of the folks to ask for prominent placing of Created and Updated dates..but..I like, very much.

- I also like the URL where it is..and with plenty of room to show long urls..

- Font color is right there - thank you!

- The info card is much clearer..and I like the index status.

Best of all is the earlier feature of the notebooks list that appears in its nested order, instead of alphabetically. I cannot wait to see this migrate to other platforms (hurry, hurry!) and views.

Thank you!

3.0.6 B3 BUG Report

A new note disappears from the screen (but is still in the DB) as soon as the Notebook is changed.

This makes entering a new note quite a challenge. :-)

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Click "All Notes" icon to ensure that all Notes are shown.
  2. Click "New Note" icon
  3. Enter title
  4. Change Notebook on Note form

The new Note disappears from both the Note body panel, and from the Snippet view list.

Click "All Notes" again to see the new Note in the list.

FIX: Obviously, changing the Notebook when creating a new Note should NOT cause the Note to disappear.

This is a very common use case.

Yeah, been needing to fix that

Thank you for the beta update, I like it better, but there are two things I would like the design team to consider:

dlu posted before that they did not want to compromise design decision in favor of giving users options, and my response is, a component of good design is usability. You could make some of the most beautiful software in the world, but if people cannot use it well in their day to day lives (or it takes us longer than we'd like to do tasks), then the design has not worked.

toward this end, I note that link, updated date and creation date are now viewable in the new beta. Is it at all possible to add "author" to this line?

Can I ask what you use the author field for? We've found that the vast majority of users never use that field.

+1 with the PDF bug, erkenntnis posted above. I also did send a crash report on this issue.

The shortcuts for bold and italic text seem broken as the entries in the menu are permanently disabled. Although underline and using the buttons in the editor work fine.

Are you using Lucida Grande by any chance? This happens with some fonts. We're looking into it

I can see your point, but there are still instances of people accidentally deleting notes under the current scheme. Losing your data is pretty much the worst possible thing that Evernote can do, so we'll probably consider erring on the side of caution.

There's going to be on weird freak-ish incident where a user has that option selected and accidentally hits a bunch of keys on the keyboard, including delete & enter and a note goes away forever. This weird stuff seems to happen all the time (or the customer support folks go around telling me these stories just to stress me out).

Now I'm curious though, what workflow do you have that involves deleting regularly?

There's going to be some weird freak-ish incident where a user has that option selected and accidentally hits a bunch of keys on the keyboard, including delete & enter and a note goes away forever. This weird stuff seems to happen all the time (or the customer support folks go around telling me these stories just to stress me out). I suspect weird things like this happen and currently people just check their trash and go "oh, how did that get deleted?"

Now I'm curious though, what workflow do you have that involves deleting regularly? Perhaps there's something else we can make easier

• Level 5*

i don't think i have manually deleted my trash once in the years that i have been using evernote. i don't know why you would. i'll be interested to hear. i can understand the poster's point, i think, but i'd prefer for it to remain difficult to empty the trash, just in case i actually do it someday.

the glitch, of course, ought to be fixed.

Are you using Lucida Grande by any chance? This happens with some fonts. We're looking into it

Nope. Have been using Helvetica. Tried it with a couple of fonts (Arial, Georgia, Verdana - set in the note-editor and the preferences) now and shortcuts are still failing. Even disabled all other programs and services to make sure nothing "steals" the shortcut.

Thanks for clearing up the ugly buttons! However, you may want to take a look at the buttons in the information pop over as well; they don't look quite right. This is what I mean:

20120123-q4i125hdshpg5k3ahtu8k3fs98.jpg

Obviously, there's a cropping issue with the text as well, but it's more the overall look of the buttons I find less than aesthetic.

On this beta otherwise: I am slightly disappointed that all the fuzz about dates being hidden away has resulted in its polar opposite: Now I am forced to see the dates in a rather prominent position whether I want to or not - and I do not. Not a fan of the new position and styling of the link either.

Archived