(Archived) Saving Edited Word Docs to Notes

DanInAuburn

Yesterday I was working on a Word document I had stored in a note. As usual, I frequently saved my work by hitting the Save button. I assumed it was saving the edited doc to the note. WHen I was done I hit Save one last time and closed up. This morning when I opened the document I found my edits had not been saved at all in the note. I did find the document in the Evernote database, but not attached to the note. Do I need to re-attach docs to new notes after editiing? I dont recall having this problem with Excel files. Thanks for the help.

Dan

In the past, I've had this issue if I left the Word or Excel document open for a long time, IE several hours., while changing it If I'd just open it, quickly make my changes, save & exit, it was fine. Admittedly, I've avoided leaving EN embedded docs open for several hours while changing them, for this reason, so I can't say I've encountered this in the past ~18 months.

EDIT: I can't confirm this is still the case b/c I don't leave docs embedded in EN open very long. I will try this again, sometime, to see if the issue remains.

I have encountered this myself in the last couple of days...editing a powerpoint file, and saving it. Only to find that the next day my updates are not saved.

I think that this was my fault though. While doing this, I merged the note containing the actual file with another. So this was infact my fault. (It would be nice to know what type of editing a note causes this)

Incase it helps, the trick to noticing that you have this issue, is that when you open the file through EN at a later time, and the file name includes a number.

e.g I have a file that is called File.ext in EN

If I open it, and find that the filename at the top is: File [1].ext

This means that the above issue of the edits not saving to EN has occured.

The original file can be found by:

Tools -> Options -> Open Database Folder -> Attachments -> File.ext

Thankfully the way that EN handles the extensions means that the content is not lost forever :)

• 1 year later...

In the past, I've had this issue if I left the Word or Excel document open for a long time, IE several hours., while changing it If I'd just open it, quickly make my changes, save & exit, it was fine. Admittedly, I've avoided leaving EN embedded docs open for several hours while changing them, for this reason, so I can't say I've encountered this in the past ~18 months.

EDIT: I can't confirm this is still the case b/c I don't leave docs embedded in EN open very long. I will try this again, sometime, to see if the issue remains.

It appears even if I don't leave the embedded file open a long time, that the updated file is not always plugged back into Evernote.  I submitted ticket 16051-279838 on 3/20/13.  I did say I wasn't looking for help on the ticket, since I was able to recover the updated spreadsheet.  However, I wanted to confirm EN got the info & supporting documentation from my ticket.

Archived