Feature Request - List View to the left of Reading Pane

MunsterMash

At the risk of incurring the wrath of everyone on this forum (as I'm sure this feature has probably been discussed at length many times before) I am requesting the option of having a list view of all notes to the left of the reading pane (where the Snippets view is currently) rather than above the reading pane.

There are two main reasons for my request, and why I think this has to be an essential feature:

These days laptops and monitors are widescreen. You have plenty of horizontal room to work with but your vertical space is limited. When using the list view you are cutting your already limited reading pane room in half. Having the list to the left of the reading pane gives you a full page view of your note.

When you have a large number of notes (30+) in a notebook the current list view is horrible to use. Scrolling up and down to find the note you're looking for is a nightmare. Why? Because as I noted above, these days your vertical space is limited, so both your list and your reading pane are vertically compacted as a result. You can only really see about 10 notes at once.

Why don't I just use Snippet view? The same reason - you can only see about 5 or 6 notes at once and when you have a large number of notes you have to scroll up and down continuously to find what you are looking for.

If there was a list to the left of the reading pane I could easily find and activate the note I am looking for, and I still get to keep a full sized reading pane active.

Another solution - allow us to specify the size of our Snippets on Snippet view. If I want a list view I could set it show just one line (the note title).

In all honesty, this is the one feature that is preventing me from using Evernote as a power user. Please consider this feature.

• Level 5*

You are correct in that this feature has been requested many, many times for more than a year. I for one welcome your post that repeats this request, and presents a very clear and logical rationale.

It is not clear why Evernote has not provided this feature, except that based on the views that are provided across all platforms it seems that Evernote has a strong bias toward image-related views. I have nothing against image views. Sometimes they are helpful. But for Notes that are pure text, the image is of no value.

Here is a post that addressed this basic issue last year:

What Does Evernote Have Against a Pure Vertical List View?

IMO, we need a list view on the left of the Reading Pane on all platforms.

Currently, on the iPhone and iPad there is no list view at all.

• Level 5*

Hi. I hope you don't mind a Mac interloper coming in here and giving you a +1. JM is right. We need a list view on the side. Why? Because vertical real estate is more precious than horizontal. Why do I have to sacrifice it in order to get rid of thumbnails, which are essentially useless for me?

In the Mac client, even with the list view (at the top) and even with the left pane closed (a single column now with menu, list view, and note at the bottom) EN still takes up more than half the width of my screen! I gain no benefit from getting rid of the snippet and folders pane. I just lose vertical space. I cannot express in words how frustrating this is. As I mentioned in another thread, even Word with all of its innumerable features/options/bloat can be reduced to a tiny portion of my screen.

Surely there is a better way to design the interface.

• Level 5

Maybe a workaround for this, is expanding the current list view (with tag pane to the left and reading pane at bottom) to full page.

F10 >> will toogle Tag view on/off

Ctrl-F11 >> will toggle reading pane, on/off

If you play with that, you can see all your notes in list view across your whole screen.

Maybe that helps.

Wern

I always use Evernote for Windows in close to full screen on a wide screen monitor.

When I am working in List View I REALLY want to see all the note attributes (columns) possible.

When I am reading a note I want to see as much of the note as possible (ie. Snippet view).

No big.

The (Ctrl+F5) and (Ctrl+F6) hotkeys let me quickly switch between List and Snippet views.

The (Ctrl+F11) hotkey toggles the Note Panel visibility. This provides more items in the list.

• Level 5*

I always use Evernote for Windows in close to full screen on a wide screen monitor.

When I am working in List View I REALLY want to see all the note attributes (columns) possible.

When I am reading a note I want to see as much of the note as possible (ie. Snippet view).

No big.

The (Ctrl+F5) and (Ctrl+F6) hotkeys let me quickly switch between List and Snippet views.

The (Ctrl+F11) hotkey toggles the Note Panel visibility. This provides more items in the list.

The problem with this approach is that it only works in EN Win.

EN Mac and all other platforms do NOT support the shortcut keys to show/hide the various panels.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
+1 for a Vertical List View EN Mac. Adjustable font size would be nice too; let us know there's images in the post with an icon :)

This is the forum for the Evernote for Windows client. Kindly post feature requests for the Evernote for Macintosh client in the Mac forum.

• Level 5*
+1 for a Vertical List View EN Mac. Adjustable font size would be nice too; let us know there's images in the post with an icon :)

This is the forum for the Evernote for Windows client. Kindly post feature requests for the Evernote for Macintosh client in the Mac forum.

I think I was the first one to pollute the thread with my fruitiness. I am rooting for you guys to get it, because that might mean we will get it someday too! Instead of a "list" view, I have also suggested giving us the ability to control the number of lines displayed in the snippet view the way that SiimpleNote does in iOS (0-6 I think). This would essentially work out to be a list view.

• 2 years later...

I've been thinking of moving to Evernote, exclusively because it will sync to the web.  I used it a few years back, but it was kludgy and cumbersome.  

I've found three things that seem simple and basic, that Evernote doesn't do (this item, support any form of functional outlining, and any plain text mode)

I'm not likely to ever post again, but I'm just going to observe.  I'm seeing all these features requested two and three years back.  They don't exist now...

...that's got me avidly looking for other options.  I don't know if the money isn't there for the development curve, or if there's a feeling that somehow other features are more important.  Maybe other features are, and I'm a very odd user.  

But...if you asked me, I'd say "Evernote is a stalled project with obvious features that were requested by the userbase years ago never implemented." 

I've found three things that seem simple and basic, that Evernote doesn't do (this item...

Actually it does now do this.  In the Windows Client it used to be hidden, if the list view shows up on top and you want it on the side, use the command Ctrl + Shift + F5.

• 1 year later...

Ctrl/Shift F5 is wonderful -- on my home machine -- thanks!

However, on my work machine, it starts a numbered list in the body of my note.

Running Evernote for Windows on both machines, on Windows 7 for both machines, same keyboard for both machines. 

What should I look for to debug this?  I really like the behavior on my home machine, and would like it to work on all my machines.

Thanks,

Arpy

Archived