"a file attachment may be currently open in another application"

I don't attach a lot of documents to my notes, but I've attached a few pdfs, and they usually show up in the note fulltext, so you can read them without opening them. I dragged a Word document into a note yesterday (a syllabus for one of my classes) and since then, every time I try to quit the program I get an error that says "A file attachment may be currently open in another application." Word is open on my machine, but the file isn't. The attachment shows up in the note as an icon, not the actual text of the document (I can quick-look it, but that's all). I did a forum search and only found one thread from someone who said the error started appearing when he tried to close EN once while the file actually WAS open in another application -- it wasn't clear whether he ever solved the problem. I'd like the stop getting the error, and also to see the document's text in the note. Any ideas?

• Level 5*

It is probably just a Word problem. Just quit Word before you quit EN, and see if that fixes the problem.

EN will only display PDF's inline in the Note. If it is important to see the text in the Word attachment, you will have to copy/paste directly into the Note.

• Level 5*

One peculiarity feature of MSWord is that if you open a document file, then close it again, Word doesn't let go of the file. I get the same error - the fix is to close Word temporarily to force it to clear out whatever webbed bunker it's keeping the file in. Carry out your operation, reopen Word. Robert is then your elderly male relative.

As to seeing the document contents, that doesn't happen except for picture files and PDFs. If you need to see inside the file, or some part of it, cut and paste the relevant sections into the note as well as attaching the file, or print the file to PDF and attach both the PDF version and the Word file to the note.

Edit: Darn! just pipped to the post there...

This happens to me too with Preview on Lion. I have closed the document window in Preview (but not e Preview application), and EN complains about a file attachment maybe still being open. I have to close Preview completely for the warning not to appear. Maybe it's not Word's fault after all...

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I am running Mac OSX 10.8.4. I am having the same problem, however, it's only on one machine, it doesn't happen on any others running multiple Windows 7 and MAC OSX devices) . I've rebooted my MAC and it still gives me the error "A file attachment may be currently open in another application." All other applications are closed also. Did anyone find a fix ?

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5

Same problem here. Mac OS 10.9.2 + Preview.app. Evernote 5.5.0 (402474)

Anyone find a fix for this? It's pretty annoying. The only thing I've found that "solves" the problem is fully logging out of my user account and then back on. But that's not usually a viable option when you're in the middle of a bunch of work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This happens to me too with Preview on Lion. I have closed the document window in Preview (but not e Preview application), and EN complains about a file attachment maybe still being open. I have to close Preview completely for the warning not to appear. Maybe it's not Word's fault after all...

Ditto here. The headache for me is that sometimes, Preview has another item open (outside of EN) I'm actively working with, so quitting it to make EN happy is a royal pain.

Any idea how to cure this (other than shutting Preview down)? 

EN: Version 6.0.16 (451861 Direct)

Mac OS: 10.10.4 Yosemite

P.S. to anjoschu: Love the Batman silhouette. ;)

• Level 5*

Same problem for me (some times). Mac OS 10.8.5 + Evernote 5.5.1 (402628 Direct)

... And I have all applications closed when the message occurs.

This has been happening to me for a long time now across many EN versions, and with Mavericks and Yosemite.

I think it's a bug, but a minor one since no hard is done if in fact all attachments are close.

I've just been ignoring it. 

This has been happening to me for a long time now across many EN versions, and with Mavericks and Yosemite.

I think it's a bug, but a minor one since no hard is done if in fact all attachments are close.

I've just been ignoring it. 

That's what makes me nervous. One of these times, there really will be an attachment open, but I won't respond, having treated the constant warnings as "crying wolf." 

• Level 5*
@PaperQueen:

Yeah, that could be a problem.  For me the warning just serves as reminder to do a quick mental check that I have closed all of the apps I've been using with Evernote are closed.  Usually it's only one or two apps.  I have developed a habit of saving and closing the attachment, then quitting the app to ensure EN is properly updated.  So, I guess I don't totally ignore it.   :)

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Just a little bump here to see if anyone's found a solution (or if the fine folks at EN have begun working on a fix for this pesky, annoying bug)...? Still occurs every. Single. Time. I. Quit. Evernote.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? 

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 11.16.15 AM.png

So, I found evernote .wav files in my iTunes app. Deleted them (I didn't want them.) Restarted Mac - tadaaaa! The message is GONE. Has not appeared since. (I would get the message when switching between my accounts.)  Try that and see if that takes care of your problem.  It's all i got.... 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Here's how to find your Evernote attachments.

• Open an attachment

• Command-click the title to see the path of the file

• Choose .evernote and you'll see the folder with the attachments.

(Then I moved the external-edits folder to the Desktop, Quit Evernote (Ok to attachments message), relaunched, Quit, problem gone, put external-edits folder back into .evernote folder and all is well.)

Untitled-1.png.9739cc7bd722f14ae56857ca05e4eaaa.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Randy Zeitman said:

Then I moved the external-edits folder to the Desktop

No need to move folders; and not a good idea while Evernote is running.

The files in the folder can be deleted if no edits are in progress.

• 1 year later...