Feature Request: Create New Note with Tag

DaveS

• Level 5*

Interesting idea. I wonder if I can suggest a different option as well. I'd like the option in preferences to designate a default tag(s) and folder when creating a new note. I tend to make a bunch of notes for one project and then move onto the next one, and my notes usually have more than one tag.

• Level 5*

@DaveS: Yeah, I could see where that might be useful; maybe even if you have tags multi-selected.

@GrumpyMonkey: For Windows, default behavior is that making a new note via the New Note command (File / New Note, Ctrl+N or global Ctrl+Alt+N) makes the new note in the currently active notebook (but only if you're allowed to make notes there, I expect). No default tags, however, tags can be mass applied using the Assign Tags comand (File / Tag..., Ctrl+Alt+T). Copy Note might also be of interest: you can make a template note, with tags and content, and copy it to the notebook that you want., Also the ENScript createNote sub-command can be used to make empty notes in a specific notebook, with explicit tag(s).

Interesting idea. I wonder if I can suggest a different option as well. I'd like the option in preferences to designate a default tag(s) and folder when creating a new note. I tend to make a bunch of notes for one project and then move onto the next one, and my notes usually have more than one tag.

Yes, that would be a useful feature for me as well (in addition to right-clicking on a tag).

Dave

• Level 5

DaveS,

If you set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SetNewNoteTags registry value to 1, the newly created notes will be assigned currently selected set of tags when saved. Please fully exit Evernote with File/Exit before changing its application registry.

BTW, you can select tags by Shift+clicking on tag buttons in Note Info panel: this makes it easy to filter notes with the same tags as the one you're viewing. With SetNewNoteTags option set to 1 you can also create new notes with the same set of tags.

/Peter

• Level 5

You may want to try Copy Note feature: prepare a template note with tags and other properties specific to the project and copy it to create new notes for this project.

/Peter

If you set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SetNewNoteTags registry value to 1, the newly created notes will be assigned currently selected tags when saved. Please fully exit Evernote with File/Exit before changing its application registry.

Evernoted. Gradually scraping documentation on Evernote registry keys. :P

DaveS,

If you set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SetNewNoteTags registry value to 1, the newly created notes will be assigned currently selected set of tags when saved. Please fully exit Evernote with File/Exit before changing its application registry.

/Peter

Nice! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks so much for the tip,

DaveS

:)

BTW, you can select tags by Shift+clicking on tag buttons in Note Info panel: this makes it easy to filter notes with the same tags as the one you're viewing. With SetNewNoteTags option set to 1 you can also create new notes with the same set of tags.

/Peter

This part is a little tricky. Shift-clicking on tags in the Note Info pane does select multiple tags but they don't appear to be selected in the Note Info pane. However, I noticed that if I look at the tags in the Left Panel they are selected there. And I can then create a new note with those tags selected.

Dave

• 6 months later...

If you set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SetNewNoteTags registry value to 1, the newly created notes will be assigned currently selected tags when saved. Please fully exit Evernote with File/Exit before changing its application registry.

not work.

windows version 4.5.7.7146

• Level 5*

not work.

windows version 4.5.7.7146

Just tried it in that version. It works, but only after the note has auto-saved (or synced).

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, apologies, but how can I make this happen on a Mac. I could not find any registry files.

@ /Peter: I checked plist's in Library and in the Evernote container folder but found no relevant references. Any help is highly appreciated.

@ all: this feature would be really great! I often work on a couple of projects and would love to duplicate tags to keep my notes properly referenced

• Level 5*
Hi everyone, apologies, but how can I make this happen on a Mac. I could not find any registry files.

Correct -- there is no registry on the Mac; this thread is topical to Windows only. If you have questions for the Mac version of Evernote, you'd probably get better answers is you asked separately, in a post tagged as [Mac]. You should aso try a web search; you may turn up answers previously given.

• 1 year later...

Archived