(Archived) Mac died: Cannot find any of my Evernote notes (did not sync)

duefiore

Idea

Hi There,

I used evernote for mac heavily with different notebooks, yet I cannot remember whether there were local or public ones. However, I did not use online account/sync.

I did once an export into a file. However, now after the Mac died I can browse the time capsule backup as many times I want, I cannot find any of the notes. are they stored somewhere? what can I do to get the notes back?

Thanks

Anita

5 replies to this idea

Thanks. I meanwhile found the "trick". Somehow the folder Library in User home directory was hidden. Hence I could not see it in the time capsule backup of my destroyed Mac. So I downloaded a widget to hide/unhide all files. Then re-entered time machine and this way could copy and past the Evernote data folder into the new installation. All notes are recovered.

Yes, right, online sync sounds tempting, but I read that the notes are not encrypted which gives me some general data security troubles.

Brgrds

Anita

• Level 5*

good to hear you recovered it!

if you are doing your physical backups, and keeping those backups in multiple physical locations (what use are a million backups inside a house that goes up in flames?), then there is no need to sync. but, you will lose out on the best part of evernote: syncing from any device.

security is a concern. strong, unique, and frequently changed passwords should protect you from most problems (besides an intrusion into the evernote servers--unlikely, but possible). you could encrypt your files before uploading them onto the evernote server. you could also designate one folder of sensitive materials to remain unsynced, and sync everything else.

Archived