(Archived) EN JOY: Very Impressed with External Note Linking Across Devices

JMichaelTX

Idea

• Level 5*

I've known for a while how well Note linking works when the link is embedded in an EN Note.

But this really impressed me just now:

1. Clipped an Amazon.com Order using Mac Chrome clipper
  2. Copied note link into Outlook calendar item to remind me of delivery
  3. Sync'd Outlook and EN on Mac
  4. On my iPhone, opened Calendar item I just created.
  5. Clicked on link to EN Note in the Calendar, and BEHOLD:
    EN Note opened in Evernote iPhone

This is beyond awesome!

• How quick the sync was
  • The fact that the Note was opened in Evernote, not Safari.
  • Link created/setup on the Mac
  • Easily/quickly displayed on the iPhone
  • Links work so well with external apps like MS Outlook / Apple Calendar

Thank you Evernote for such a great system.

This is what compels me to use Evernote!

8 replies to this idea

FYI.

Evernote: links in Google Calendar also work better on iPhone/iPod Touch than they do from Google Calendar on the web. (Limitation of Google Calendar, not of Evernote).

And yeah, feature parity issues can get frustrating when you regularly use different clients. e.g. I almost live in the Web client, but, there are some features, e.g. Copy Notes, which I have to go to the Windows client to accomplish.

It becomes a bit of a moving target. Feature requests for new features become a chorus of why not on my client requests as soon as the feature is delivered on any client.

I've tried to do this and I get the link working in iCal on my mac. However, the event on my iPhone does not contain a link. The link is just plain text. Does anybody know what I'm missing?

• Level 5*

I've tried to do this and I get the link working in iCal on my mac. However, the event on my iPhone does not contain a link. The link is just plain text. Does anybody know what I'm missing?

Hey sw113, sorry you are having problems with this cool feature.

It was working for me when I started this thread back in Jan 2012, and I just tested it, and it is still working.

The only difference is that I am using Outlook 2011 with Exchange Server 2010.

Just make sure you have sync'd Evernote on your iPhone, and verify that the Note in the link is there before opening the iPhone calendar item with the link.

In your iPhone Calendar Item, do you see a link that looks something like this:

Your Note Title<
evernote:///view/3010349/s27/9c62b235-e6ab-4850-ae4c-c8d6ed1137a5/9c62b445-e6ab-4859-ae4c-c7d6ed2137a5/.
>

As another test, try pasting the same note link in an email to yourself on your Mac.

Then, see if the link works in your iPhone email.

I'm using Google Cal. The link works on my Mac. Evernote is synced on Mac and iOS devices. I do see the note on my iOS device if I look for it in Evernote.

If I paste the Evernote link into the event via Google Cal then it pastes in with the <evernote:///view...." and works. The problem is when I copy the link from evernote on my Mac and paste it into an event it is an embedded link (is that the right nomenclature?) and then it just shows up as a plain text note with no URL embedded in it. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for the interaction and help.

Another observation: When I paste the "evernote:///view...." link into the event via google cal it works on iOS devices, but then it doesn't work in iCal. In iCal I see the "evernote:///view...." but it is not clickable.

I've known for a while how well Note linking works when the link is embedded in an EN Note.

But this really impressed me just now:

1. Clipped an Amazon.com Order using Mac Chrome clipper
  2. Copied note link into Outlook calendar item to remind me of delivery
  3. Sync'd Outlook and EN on Mac
  4. On my iPhone, opened Calendar item I just created.
  5. Clicked on link to EN Note in the Calendar, and BEHOLD:
    EN Note opened in Evernote iPhone

This is beyond awesome!

• How quick the sync was
  • The fact that the Note was opened in Evernote, not Safari.
  • Link created/setup on the Mac
  • Easily/quickly displayed on the iPhone
  • Links work so well with external apps like MS Outlook / Apple Calendar

Thank you Evernote for such a great system.

This is what compels me to use Evernote!

Wow! that's amazing! I have to try that out...

Archived