(Archived) Evernote for Mac 3.0.6 Beta 2

dlu

Idea

Hello!

We have a Beta 2 that allows adding & delete of columns & rows in tables. We've also made the notebook popup in notes to display in their stacks.

We also have a few bug fixes, especially:

• Fix a bug where changing a note's created date failed to cause it to sync
  • Fix a bug where selected tags in shared notebooks would not stay selected
  • Fix Quicklook support for notes in Spotlight and the Finder

We've been discussing the feedback from Beta 1. Thanks everyone for contributing.

If you've opted into the Betas, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates

If you're not auto-updating, you can get the beta here: http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_215813.zip

61 replies to this idea

Just reading this, I think Evernote is over thinking things. As a user of Mac, Windows, Samsung (Android) tablet, and Android phone, having everything everywhere is important as the first priority. However, there is a proliferation of other competitors that are doing cross platform editing and text formatting much better. Basic editing of text notes on a Mac client is very lacking. I don't want Evernote to be a word processor, but I have many more formatting optionsposting this reply on this forum than I do in Evernote. And get this, to change the text color I didn't have a separate window pop up. I support providing minimal editing functionality, but the bar for what is minimal is raising. Look at Gmail...it has minimal text editing functionality, but is way more advanced than Evernote. Implement the same editing capability that exists in Gmail and you have a winner.

• Level 5*

As a general design philosophy, we're trying not to weasel out of design decisions by simply saying, "let's give users the more options." Not that all options are bad, but they often get used as a crutch for making real decisions (both here at Evernote and at other places).

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but it seems to me you are saying that your philosophy is to make decisions for the user rather than giving them options. Is this an unfair reading of your post?

Speaking as a user, I much prefer a design philosophy that gives users options. Easily the vast majority of my frustration with Evernote on Mac and iOS are the lack of options. For instance, one of the options I want to see is plain text (or the equivalent, without the hidden baggage that keeps turning my notes into un-editable nightmares). Paste without formatting is insufficient.

Another one would be to leave all of the information about the note out in the open (as in the current public build) with a toggle to hide/reveal it in the menu. I want to see this stuff, and I don't know why anyone would want to take away the ability for me to do so (the current beta, as I understand it).

I want the option to use courier as a font. I don't know why I am limited to the ones that Evernote chose.

I want the option to remove panes in my view (if I remember correctly, this was only available to the Lions).

I want the option to turn off the automatic searching. Everything gets bogged down whenever I search now, because Evernote is searching for "s" "se" sea" "sear" "searc" "searcj" whoops... "search". This is so frustrating.

Anyhow, you get the idea. Why is it better to take away our choices? Of course, you need to make a decision and set the default somewhere. But, it is not weaseling out of a decision to say: we have a light gray background, but you can change it to a different color if you want.

• Level 5*

KISS - keep it simple stupid

I'm all for a simple app that concentrates on doing the job it is intended for well - if it does that then I don't need hundreds of preferences and options.

• Level 5*

KISS - keep it simple stupid

I'm all for a simple app that concentrates on doing the job it is intended for well - if it does that then I don't need hundreds of preferences and options.

Simplicity and choice are not mutually exclusive.

You can have an extremely bare-bones interface and app (Elements on iOS) with fabulous third party integration (Dropbox and Scrivener) to produce an incredibly robust experience. As a concrete example in Evernote, I currently have to cut and past out of Evernote in the Mac (cannot do it on the iPad because of a bug) into another app in order to edit many of my notes, because even after pasting without formatting it will not let me cut and paste within Evernote (everything I cut can only be pasted to the top of the note). That doesn't sound simple to me :)

As a general design philosophy, we're trying not to weasel out of design decisions by simply saying, "let's give users the more options." Not that all options are bad, but they often get used as a crutch for making real decisions (both here at Evernote and at other places).

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but it seems to me you are saying that your philosophy is to make decisions for the user rather than giving them options. Is this an unfair reading of your post?

Speaking as a user, I much prefer a design philosophy that gives users options. Easily the vast majority of my frustration with Evernote on Mac and iOS are the lack of options. For instance, one of the options I want to see is plain text (or the equivalent, without the hidden baggage that keeps turning my notes into un-editable nightmares). Paste without formatting is insufficient.

Another one would be to leave all of the information about the note out in the open (as in the current public build) with a toggle to hide/reveal it in the menu. I want to see this stuff, and I don't know why anyone would want to take away the ability for me to do so (the current beta, as I understand it).

I want the option to use courier as a font. I don't know why I am limited to the ones that Evernote chose.

I want the option to remove panes in my view (if I remember correctly, this was only available to the Lions).

I want the option to turn off the automatic searching. Everything gets bogged down whenever I search now, because Evernote is searching for "s" "se" sea" "sear" "searc" "searcj" whoops... "search". This is so frustrating.

Anyhow, you get the idea. Why is it better to take away our choices? Of course, you need to make a decision and set the default somewhere. But, it is not weaseling out of a decision to say: we have a light gray background, but you can change it to a different color if you want.

Some options are of course useful, but at some point you end up with option bloat. Which I guess is like the once-removed-cousin of feature bloat.

From a design point of view, we end up making compromises. Instead of really doing thing well, we usually end up with a compromise that does two or more things decently. It is also usually a lazy way out. Forcing ourselves to focus usually leads to better, more thoroughly designed product.

There are very distinct and valid instances where you really do want this one little option and it would make a world of difference. But we can't include all of them. The average user doesn't want that many options, nor do they want to "setup" their software. Remember the days when everyone's VCR just blinked 12:00AM all the time?

And that's what they need to fix - adding a multitude of options doesn't help that.

I'm not sure what the options there would be. Please don't tell me there would be a checkbox for "do random things with copy/paste" :)

• Level 5*

Some options are of course useful, but at some point you end up with option bloat. Which I guess is like the once-removed-cousin of feature bloat.

From a design point of view, we end up making compromises. Instead of really doing thing well, we usually end up with a compromise that does two or more things decently. It is also usually a lazy way out. Forcing ourselves to focus usually leads to better, more thoroughly designed product.

There are very distinct and valid instances where you really do want this one little option and it would make a world of difference. But we can't include all of them. The average user doesn't want that many options, nor do they want to "setup" their software. Remember the days when everyone's VCR just blinked 12:00AM all the time?

I guess we are posting over one another. Let's take a concrete example: why would Evernote force me to use a three pane view that will not collapse enough on my 13" screen to allow me to use Evernote while reading something else? Surely I am not the only user who wants to use more than one app at a time in conjunction with one another. This design decision causes me headaches every day, and I end up using something like Notational Velocity (a VERY simple program) that simply does what I want.

I want to make it very clear here that I am not looking for a clunky interface with a billion options. Please do keep it simple and clean, and please do make decisions for the default view. But, don't force me to live on Pacific Standard Time (using your VCR analogy). More to the point, the VCR clock was not a problem of options. It was a problem of user interface (my microwave manufacturer got it right - every time the power goes out we have to take maybe 5 seconds to reset it). Design the interface well and everyone will be happy :)

EDIT: I forgot to address option bloat. Option bloat is a far less trouble than feature bloat, in my opinion. Still, in principle, I agree that we don't want to have every conceivable option. But, I think the ability to customize the view to deal with small screens would be a fairly common option. In fact, I am not sure if any app, including the bloated behemoth that is Word, forces me to use such a huge amount of screen real estate.

• Level 5*

And that's what they need to fix - adding a multitude of options doesn't help that.

I'm not sure what the options there would be. Please don't tell me there would be a checkbox for "do random things with copy/paste" :)

I think you have already implemented that as standard ;)

Somehow this conversation got sidetracked on options, when the only reason Thorsten requested an option is because his/her team has severe problems with the new UI—which almost every user who commented on the last topic about this beta also objected to.

• Level 5*

DLU, if the new UI has some benefit or advantage over the old one, please point it out.

I have tried several times to use it, and I honestly just don't see any improvement.

Quite to the contrary, it is harder to use, and presents a number of problems as many have listed above.

Please consider returning to the current GA release (3.0.5) UI, but keep the other features and fixes.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Somehow this conversation got sidetracked on options, when the only reason Thorsten requested an option is because his/her team has severe problems with the new UI—which almost every user who commented on the last topic about this beta also objected to.

Options are relevent because they are being taken away from us with the beta (as I understand it). Options give us a way out of changes, especially those that would interrupt workflows.

Good point. Thorsten was actually asking for a slightly different (new) option—but as a result of this option's removal, so you're right. And in response to his request, dlu and Metrodon fought with you about whether options, it grand abstraction, are generally a good or bad thing. So bringing this back to the specific UI feature being discussed when options became the topic of the day...

While I know dlu was directly responding to GrumpyMonkey's requests for new options, I hope he and the Evernote team have thought a lot about the user reaction to the removal of the "Show/Hide Note Info" option and recognize that, when dlu says, "Some options are of course useful, but at some point you end up with option bloat. Which I guess is like the once-removed-cousin of feature bloat," one very useful option for many of us, which I doubt many thought was "option bloat," is "Show/Hide Note Info."

We're discussing but haven't finalized what we'll end up doing

Thanks for sharing, dlu, but I hope the overwhelming user sentiment (my understanding of these two topics on the new beta) will eventually move Evernote to bring back an option that—again, judging from the voices expressed on these topics—was clearly very useful for a lot of users.

i really like your design improvements, but...

we use evernote in a team. and we often need to change the creation date, as we not scan all documents in time. so the new info-popup is a huge regression in usability. could you make it optional possible to just show the info below the tagging-bar? with that information out of sight, people just forget to change that date and our documents get unsorted.

thx

thorsten

• Level 5*

Just reading this, I think Evernote is over thinking things. As a user of Mac, Windows, Samsung (Android) tablet, and Android phone, having everything everywhere is important as the first priority. However, there is a proliferation of other competitors that are doing cross platform editing and text formatting much better. Basic editing of text notes on a Mac client is very lacking. I don't want Evernote to be a word processor, but I have many more formatting optionsposting this reply on this forum than I do in Evernote. And get this, to change the text color I didn't have a separate window pop up. I support providing minimal editing functionality, but the bar for what is minimal is raising. Look at Gmail...it has minimal text editing functionality, but is way more advanced than Evernote. Implement the same editing capability that exists in Gmail and you have a winner.

I am not sure what you mean by over thinking things, but I think you are very much correct about the capabilities of other applications. The one I have here in the forum is infinitely better, there are no freaky spacing problems when I cut and paste something into the box here, and I can do just about every kind of "minimal" editing I need. If I could get this text box functionality with Evernote on the Mac then I would be thrilled.

Out of curiosity, are there fixes to the AppleScript bugs in this beta? (for example getting every tag via AppleScript includes some deleted tags, and some duplicate tag names. This has been reported and accepted as a bug)

Haven't made any changes regarding AppleScript. To be honest, probably not a high priority

I am not sure what you mean by over thinking things, but I think you are very much correct about the capabilities of other applications. The one I have here in the forum is infinitely better, there are no freaky spacing problems when I cut and paste something into the box here, and I can do just about every kind of "minimal" editing I need. If I could get this text box functionality with Evernote on the Mac then I would be thrilled.

Agree and noted. I'll have to find time to do something more comprehensive about this, but the cross-platform stuff sorta gives me the chills

DLU, if the new UI has some benefit or advantage over the old one, please point it out.

I have tried several times to use it, and I honestly just don't see any improvement.

Quite to the contrary, it is harder to use, and presents a number of problems as many have listed above.

Please consider returning to the current GA release (3.0.5) UI, but keep the other features and fixes.

Thanks.

The new UI is a move towards a more minimalist design. It should be less visually noisy, and give a single place to go to for all meta data about a note. The note info popover is meant to be a more scalable way of seeing & editing meta data as we add in other metadata fields.

The next beta should include some more changes to this UI

• Level 5*

Work-Around for Plain Text

I agree with the previous posters that Evernote needs a feature that will "Paste as Plain Text" across all platforms, and would NOT include any HTML structural code like "<table>".

Until this is provided by Evernote, here is a work-around that might work:

Customize Your Mac'sPaste and Match Style"

This offers a number of solutions, but for Evernote it probably means using the AppleScript solution.

@Moderator: I'm not sure where is the best place to post this. Please feel free to move to another thread.

Out of curiosity, are there fixes to the AppleScript bugs in this beta? (for example getting every tag via AppleScript includes some deleted tags, and some duplicate tag names. This has been reported and accepted as a bug)

Haven't made any changes regarding AppleScript. To be honest, probably not a high priority

For what it's worth, there are a lot of useful AppleScripts that work with EN. It's the best way for users to bridge missing functionality in the Mac client compared to the Windows version.

I agree with the previous posters that Evernote needs a feature that will "Paste as Plain Text" across all platforms, and would NOT include any HTML structural

There's a free app on the Mac App Store that lets you toggle easily between pasting formatted and unformatted text that works system wide. It's called FormatMatch.

Just noticed something, not sure if it's isolated to the Beta or not.

I created a Notebook, then created a note inside. Then I tried to share it and nothing happened. It looked like it was "broken" because I got no notifications. Turns out I had to manually run a Sync before the Share Notebook would work. Would have been nice to get a notification or even if that forced a Sync.

Love the new Tables options, it was virtually unusable before...

• Level 5*

I agree with the previous posters that Evernote needs a feature that will "Paste as Plain Text" across all platforms, and would NOT include any HTML structural

There's a free app on the Mac App Store that lets you toggle easily between pasting formatted and unformatted text that works system wide. It's called FormatMatch.

Thanks for the suggestion. This looks like the best work-around I have seen.

Maybe Evernote can convince the developer to license the code to EN so we can have a true "Paste as Plain Text" option directly in EN.

Yeah, thanks for the link. I've now been using it for, what, 24 hours, and FormatMatch is great.

JMichael, if you enable a hotkey with FormatMatch, since it works universally, you don't need any additional functionality in Evernote to instantly toggle between formatted and unformatted text.

I must have missed it, but where did the ability to ADD COLOR TO TEXT go? If it's still possible, it obviously is not intuitive. Also, don't make the text edit bar in grey. In my opinion, universally, a greyed out function means it is NOT AVAILABLE. Make them dark again please!

• Level 5*

Hello!

We have a Beta 2 that allows adding & delete of columns & rows in tables. We've also made the notebook popup in notes to display in their stacks.

dlu,

Both of these new features are great, especially the table add/delete. Many thanks.

I look forward to using these features.

Does Beta 2 have the same UI changes that you made in Beta 1?

Hello!

We also have a few bug fixes, especially:

• Fix a bug where changing a note's created date failed to cause it to sync
  • Fix a bug where selected tags in shared notebooks would not stay selected
  • Fix Quicklook support for notes in Spotlight and the Finder

We've been discussing the feedback from Beta 1. Thanks everyone for contributing.

If you've opted into the Betas, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates

If you're not auto-updating, you can get the beta here: http://evernote.s3.a...note_215813.zip

Yes, and made it impossible to edit note location. No thanx at all. When will you stop favouring aesthetics over functionality?

Yes, and made it impossible to edit note location. No thanx at all. When will you stop favouring aesthetics over functionality?

If you go to the note info popover, you can edit the location. The shortcut is cmd+shift+i

If you go to the note info popover, you can edit the location. The shortcut is cmd+shift+i

I tried, it doesn’t work. The Location bit is not clickable at all. I could neither edit existing note locations nor add them in notes that did not have them.

Dlu, please reassure us that you are giving consideration to altering the Date Created and Updated input methods. Have spent the past week uploading several hundred academic articles which had to have their date altered in EN to reflect their publication dates so they can be viewed chronologically. Having to firstly use the mouse to click on that small "i", then write out the date in text is, I can assure you after several hundred repeats, a total waste of my precious time. Tell me you're going to give me back the previous user-friendly entry method.

Thx. Steve J

• Level 5*

dlu, sorry but I will be unable to participate in this Beta.

The new UI just slows me down way too much, and I have a lot of work to do.

So, I have to stick with Ver 3.0.5 to get my work done.

I'm sure one less Beta tester won't really matter to EN.

What does this really mean?

Are your discussions complete, and you've made a decision about the UI changes?

Or, you are still discussing?

I like the two new added features. I don't use tables much, so I haven't tried that feature out. But displaying as stacks in the notebook popover works fine for me.

One request: make the tags popover behave the same way as the notebook popover - i.e., display tags in stacks.

I'm still waiting for the fix to the bug I reported earlier (Ticket #16051-48185). That bug is seemingly still present in Beta 2, and it makes it pretty hard for me to work with PDFs or images without suffering the spinning beach ball of death.

• Level 5*

Dli or anyone else,

How does one/can one return to the previous offical version?

Steve J

I was provided these steps by Evernote Support:

1. Quit Evernote from the elephant icon in the Menu Bar

2. Drag the Evernote application to the system Trash, and empty Trash.

3. Reboot your Mac

4. Download and install the latest version of the Mac client:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=EvernoteMac

• When you open the download, make sure to drag the Evernote icon into the Applications folder instead of running it from within the installer package.

• Eject the disk image and delete the installer file before you run Evernote.

NOTE: This process does NOT delete the Evernote Note DB on your Mac.

i really like your design improvements, but...

we use evernote in a team. and we often need to change the creation date, as we not scan all documents in time. so the new info-popup is a huge regression in usability. could you make it optional possible to just show the info below the tagging-bar? with that information out of sight, people just forget to change that date and our documents get unsorted.

thx

thorsten

Does the Tables add/delete row/column work on tables captured from the web and on tables pasted from Word?

It should, if there are exception let us know. We'll see what we can address

• Level 5

@JMichael How would these differ in HTML terms from those created afresh in Evernote? I would think they wouldn't - given it's all HTML. Anyhow glad to retire a piece of Applescript that did the Table editing far worse than this function does. (But I learnt a lot about Applescript and Evernote along the way so happy to be retiring it.) :-)

Martin

New beta is great but "Tables" menu is in english, not translated yet to other languages (brazilian portuguese in my case).

Yes, we often release Beta's while we're still waiting for translations for some of the text in the UI. Sorry for the inconvenience, should get updated soon.

Is anyone working on fixing Evernote text formatting problem? Double spaces created by simplified formatting are horrible.

Has this been brought up in another thread that can be linked to? If not, can you explain when this error occurs? That'll help us reproduce the error.

thanks!

I think that a forum search for "double spacing" will bring a lot of posts with unresolved issues.

Here is a simple experiment. I use Notational Velocity where I store all my text notes because Evernote can't handle text properly. Notational Velocity is set to store all text in RTF format because some of my notes use Bold and Italic text. When I copy an RTF note from Notational Velocity to any other program, I have 0 problems. When I paste the same note to Evernote and then choose simplify formatting, Evernote adds extra space to every single line and make the entire note double spaced.

Importing any RTF note into Evernote and then pressing "Simplify Formatting" causes double spacing in all imported RTF notes. This also often happens when I paste things from the web and use simplify formatting option.

I am using the latest stable Evernote build form the Mac App Store. This problems has been happing for a while now with a number of previous Evernote versions.

Dlu, please reassure us that you are giving consideration to altering the Date Created and Updated input methods. Have spent the past week uploading several hundred academic articles which had to have their date altered in EN to reflect their publication dates so they can be viewed chronologically. Having to firstly use the mouse to click on that small "i", then write out the date in text is, I can assure you after several hundred repeats, a total waste of my precious time. Tell me you're going to give me back the previous user-friendly entry method.

Thx. Steve J

Totally agree. One of the reasons I keep articles and reports in Evernote is the ability to set the creation date to reflect publication date. The new input method is just an obstacle.

Is anyone working on fixing Evernote text formatting problem? Double spaces created by simplified formatting are horrible.

Has this been brought up in another thread that can be linked to? If not, can you explain when this error occurs? That'll help us reproduce the error.

thanks!

Here are some links for you to explore the problem:

1. Force plain text?

2. Plain Text Mode !

3. Line spacing of pasted text is frustrating

4. plain text instead of fonts

5. Where is Evernote Going? Page 2

All of the above links mention major problems with Evernote text editor.

Yesterday had an occasion, where a PDF note that had been imported (and so far showed up) as inline suddenly changed to be displayed as an attachment (PDF icon). The context menu didn't give me an option to change it back to inline. Had to save the PDF to the desktop, delete the attachment and drag it back into the note to again display it inline.

Reminds me of an old bug that had been fixed around V 2.0.4. Maybe some legacy code found its way back into the current beta? ;-)

Pete

Archived