(Archived) More Security

For convenience, there is no need to type password when opeing Evernote in devices. However, there are some documents stored in the the notebook needed a higher standard of security, like bank statement. Is it possible to set password for individual notebook for the coming version of Evernote?

• Level 5*

i think i've seen this request before. it's not a bad idea. i doubt it will happen, though. it seems like it would be difficult to implement.

can it be supported on different platforms? if not, should evernote make it all unsearchable?

will evernote need to filter out protected notebooks in search results?

i think the best practice is not to upload anything to any cloud service that you wouldn't be comfortable having anyone see. i am not too concerned about losing my ipod, someone figuring out my lock screen pw, and then someone searching through my notes for bank statements.

• Level 5

You can set up a local notebook and put all your bank statements in it. Then they will not be synced and won't leave your computer.

You could also encrypt those and thus have additional security.

Password protected whole notebooks will probably not happen.

Wern

• Level 5*
Is it possible to set password for individual notebook for the coming version of Evernote?

Personally I'd find it very annoying to be asked for another password to get into a notebook or a note once I'm in Evernote; I agree there are some documents you don't want to leave in plain view, but that's what third-party apps are for. I go for passworded PDFs or encrypted files.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
Is it possible to set password for individual notebook for the coming version of Evernote?

Personally I'd find it very annoying to be asked for another password to get into a notebook or a note once I'm in Evernote; I agree there are some documents you don't want to leave in plain view, but that's what third-party apps are for. I go for passworded PDFs or encrypted files.

With password protected PDFs, wouldn't you have to enter the PW for each and every PDF?

Wouldn't that be more annoying that entering your PW one time for a Notebook?

• Level 5*

With password protected PDFs, wouldn't you have to enter the PW for each and every PDF?

Wouldn't that be more annoying that entering your PW one time for a Notebook?

My notebooks already run at three levels of security - actually make that five if you count stuff that's deliberately left out: there's -

1. Password protection on all devices
  2. Really sensitive stuff that lives on an encrypted volume and outside Evernote
  3. Sensitive stuff that's on a local only notebook
  4. Fairly Private stuff that's password protected but on the server (and has enough tags and keywords to identify what it is without having to open the PDF)
  5. The Rest which is tagged and headed and Out There somewhere

My point was really that once I've logged into the machine I don't want to have more levels of security than I've already got - if my searches do turn up a passworded PDF note because of the keywords and tags, I'll be pretty certain I want to open it before I even have to try. If there were extra levels of security though I'd always have the option not to use them - guess it's up to Evernote to continue developing the package and we'll see what comes up...

PS - Just noticed we're in head-to-head competition on posts - may the best geek win.. :)

• Level 5*
My point was really that once I've logged into the machine I don't want to have more levels of security than I've already got . . .

I get your point, you don't put any sensitive data into Evernote cloud.

My earlier comment was just a simple one: If you relied on PDF passwords on files you put into Evernote cloud, then having only one NB PW would be less annoying than to have to enter multiple PW for every PDF file. Plus, you would only enter the NB PW one time: at EN startup, or first NB access.

Guess this doesn't really apply to your workflow.

I think a lot of us would just like to have one simple place to put everything, and have the sensitive stuff encrypted.

That's why having only one or two NB that are encrypted for Note contents, but NOT Note metadata, makes a lot of sense.

For the encrypted NB, relying on Note Title, Tags, and dates will provide enough criteria to have effective searches.

But each person may like to do things differently. That's why l like options -- let's each user optimize his/her workflow.

If you don't want to use encrypted NB, then you would not have to.

About the points -- I couldn't really care less. :)

Some people make a ton of useless posts just to get their count up.

Not me, I've got better things to do with my time.

• Level 5*

I think we're singing the same tune - encryption is nice to have as an option and if it fits your workflow; and you're right - if it was available I'd probably change my process if only to see whether a difference made life easier.

Kidding about the points - just suffering from too much Evernote Forum Fascination and (in my case at least) too little productive time.

About the points -- I couldn't really care less. :)

Some people make a ton of useless posts just to get their count up.

Not me, I've got better things to do with my time.

Hmmm... I'd have to say I see no evidence of that on this board. If you think this is going on, you should report those posts.

• 1 year later...

Well, Microsoft One Note had password protected notebooks and if you're using MS 2013 then its automatically uploaded to Microsoft.com for cloud services or otherwise you can just have it uploaded & synced onto SkyDrive. 

I know. I just advertised competition in Evernote's own thread but Evernote does lack that feature. I'm just giving the guy an option. I'm also a fond user of Evernote. 

Well, Microsoft One Note had password protected notebooks and if you're using MS 2013 then its automatically uploaded to Microsoft.com for cloud services or otherwise you can just have it uploaded & synced onto SkyDrive.

I know. I just advertised competition in Evernote's own thread but Evernote does lack that feature. I'm just giving the guy an option. I'm also a fond user of Evernote.

Evernote does not care if other apps are mentioned. Many other apps have been discussed a lot on the board including Onenote. And several of us have mentioned many times that if EN lacks a deal breaker (for you) feature, then you should find an app that is a better fit for you.

As mentioned the only way to currently do it that I can find is to put a password on the pdf. You can of course do this as you scan it using a ScanSnap scanner.

Regards

Chris

Archived