(Archived) TIP: Snippet view minimum image size identified [75 x 75]

soundsgoodtome

Idea

i routinely clip notes from a web site that has small images of various sizes, and i like the snippet view, because it lets me quickly identify notes by the thumbnail image. but the fact that evernote displays some of the images, but not others, has always bugged me. last year, i created a topic on the subject here:

no one from evernote ever responded.

well, i've finally identified the bug:

if either the horizontal or vertical size of an image is less than 75 pixels, snippet view ignores that image and will not display a thumbnail.

the fact that 75 pixels is the cut-off suggested this was a programming decision, and i now see that the snippet view thumbnails are in fact 75x75 pixels. but by eliminating smaller images, you've arbitrarily defeated the purpose (i.e., one of the features) of the snippet view! as such, i still consider this a bug, because many notes that do in fact contain images are displayed without them, and that's undesirable behavior.

suggestions:

- how about the option (as a preference) to have smaller images scaled up, just enough for them to be displayed in the 75x75 thumbnail? in my experimentation, i took an image that was 110x74 and scaled it up by one pixel -- and it displayed properly. i also did the same with a much smaller image; scaled it up to 75 pixels, and, though less crisp, it served the purpose. i'd much rather have a somewhat aliased thumbnail, generated from a smaller image, than no thumbnail at all, which is what we currently have.

- another option would be to have evernote, in these instances, draw a light gray, 75x75 square box and display smaller images within the box. ultimately this option may be less elegant (i.e., the results would be less consistent). but again, seeing something would be better than seeing nothing.

i hope you'll improve snippet view by addressing this issue.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5

The thumbnail in the Snippet view is a powerful way to quickly scan my notes.

I was able to duplicate the 75 pixel barrier.

136 x 75 pixels - yes

134 x 74 pixels - no

By the way, I was surprised how well the 75 pixel thumbnail showed up in Evernote.

I am adding this to the Evernote rule about the "largest smallest" dimension.

http://discussion.ev...dpost__p__92194

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I don't think it is always true that "seeing something would be better than seeing nothing." For example, I don't think we need to show 1x1 pixel images. Also, if I clip an article and happen to grab some page elements, such as arrows, a captcha or something else, I'd much rather see more text than lose the space to images.

So 1x1 is too small to show a snippet images, and let's say 500x500 definitely should be shown. Somewhere in there is a cutoff, and I think 75x75 isn't too shabby.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I don't think it is always true that "seeing something would be better than seeing nothing." For example, I don't think we need to show 1x1 pixel images. Also, if I clip an article and happen to grab some page elements, such as arrows, a captcha or something else, I'd much rather see more text than lose the space to images.

So 1x1 is too small to show a snippet images, and let's say 500x500 definitely should be shown. Somewhere in there is a cutoff, and I think 75x75 isn't too shabby.

i'm sure you're astute enough to know that i most certainly did not mean that a 1x1 image should be scaled up to 75x75. i don't need to see giant favicons. ;) but 75x75 is too large a minimum. how about 50x50? or 60x60? about 10% of the images i clip are 110x60-ish. (i'm attaching an example.) they're certainly large enough to be significant enough to be useful in identifying a note's contents. but they don't display.

in short: images with a "largest smaller" dimension of 50-74 pixels could be enlarged for display within snippet view's 75x75-pixel thumbnail.

please consider this. :)

post-47726-0-58434800-1325709857_thumb.j

• Level 5*

I think we all agree that there needs to be a cutoff somewhere.

Perhaps the 75x75 is too large.

This cutoff size excludes a broad band of useful images: icons and logos.

As jefito suggested, 32x32 is one of the most common icon sizes. Clearly recognizable icons go as small as 16x16.

I would prefer the cutoff to be 16x16, but I could live with 32x32.

A high percentage of web pages that I clip have either an app icon, manufacturer's logo, and/or the reviewer's logo.

All three of these images convey a lot of info immediately to me when I see them, and therefore would be most useful on the Snippet view.

If the current Snippet image is a fixed 75x75, there is no need IMO to zoom up these icons and logos. Just show them actual size if less than 75x75. That way if you happen to select an undesirable image, it doesn't take up as much room on the Snippet view.

Still think 75x75 is a pretty good cutoff. I'm not excited by the thought of creating snippets with hugely variable image sizes, word wrap issues and all. Especially if 75x75 works ~90% of the time.

Archived