(Archived) how about "star" function?

fly2high

i think a "star" function will be useful. if you think one entry is important , you can star it, just like the function fulfilled in Gmail and some others.

but now, i can only use the tag function to substitute this function, and it does not work well..

• Level 5

You can create tags like this: ★, ★★, ★★★ and use them to star your notes.

/Peter

Peter - great response!

That is just too cool. I was using an asterisk, but the star is much more noticeable in the tag list.

And it is right near the top when I use the assign tabs feature (Ctrl + Alt + T.)

• Level 5*

OK, so this is pretty cool. One thing that's a lot better when using '' than when using '*' is that you can then use tag wildcarding to search for notes with n or more stars (e.g. "tag:★★★*"), which you cannot do using '*' (this was a specific scenario requested by a user in the forums, some time ago). Flip side is that they're a little unwieldy to type, at least in Windows, but if you have one laying around, you can copy and paste it wherever needed. Also I noticed that the Create Tag doesn't display it correctly; there was a square when I pasted one in, meaning, I think, that the typeface being used didn't have that symbol.

• Level 5*

Wow. Cool idea. I never thought of that. I just made my first 5 star tag. I am not big on stars (with all of the sorting and searching options I don't really see the point in rating my notes--most used notes go to the top, etc.), but for a limited number of notes, I can see this being pretty useful.

• Level 5*

In Windows, in theory (at least according to http://www.marathon-studios.com/unicode/U2605/Black_Star), you can create them using Alt+<some magic sequence of numbers> (the hex code is 2605), but I was unable to make it work, in Word (no response at all) or in Evernote (got a black spade char instead). That's about as far as I got with it before I resorted to copy/paste. Seems to be like fire to the cavemen (cavepeople?); it's hard to make fire, but once you have it, you can always pass it along to someone else...

You can create tags like this: ★, ★★, ★★★ and use them to star your notes.

/Peter

Using star tags is a nice workaround. In Gmail a "star label" can be used and still Gmail has the star function as a way to quickly have particular notes stand out. I guess the star function is useful only if you can use it very quickly, i.e. one-click on a star. This could be implemented in Evernote by putting a star next to each note in the note list. Not sure if it is worth implementing because Evernote offers many alternatives, but I guess it would be widely used if implemented.

• Level 5*

The star function was only ever implemented in Evernote for the iPhone, I think, and Evernote has declined to implement it for other clients, from what I've read in the forums. That is something that you can implement with tags pretty easily, or, extending the above technique, by using a different UniCode symbol (how about this one:

?).

• Level 5

Here are some other stars that work in the Evernote Windows tag field.

✡ ★ ☆ ⋆ ✩ ✮ ✯ ✰ ❇ ❈ ❅ ❄ ❆

And tags for those early morning tasks - the "magically delicious" hearts, moons, stars, and clovers.

♥ ☾ ★ ♣

Éirinn go Brách

• Level 5*

Yeah, let's have some Fruit Loops.

I'd seriously consider changing my '_Todo' and '_Star' tags to equivalent symbols, but i can't figure out how to type them into the search control.

• Level 5*

How do you create the "★" symbol other than copy/paste?

Well, it appears that there is no way using only the keyboard to enter the Black Star "★", in either Mac OS X or Windows (see posts from jefito).

I tried a variety of approaches on the Mac, and searched the Internet for a keyboard remapping util, but could not find one that would work.

On the Mac, the Black Star can be inserted using the Edit > Special Characters... menu. There is even a KB shortcut for this menu: CMD+OPT+T

But, to be useful to me, I need to insert/type the Black Star in one keystroke.

The only solution I have found is a macro app like Quickeys or Keyboard Maestro. I choose the latter for simplicity and price ($36, 30-d free trial).

There are probably other app/utils that will also work.

So now I can type CTRL+OPT+8 and the Black Star ★ is entered.

There are probably macro apps for Windows that will do the same.

The ★ tag shows up very nicely on my iPhone, near the top of the tag list.

So I can see all of my "starred" notes with just a couple of taps on the iPhone.

I have actually been looking for the macro capability on the Mac for other needs, so this works out well.

• 8 months later...

How do you create the "★" symbol other than copy/paste?

Well, it appears that there is no way using only the keyboard to enter the Black Star "★", in either Mac OS X or Windows (see posts from jefito).

(...)

But, to be useful to me, I need to insert/type the Black Star in one keystroke.

Not exactly a keystroke, but a workaround (at least on Windows) is select the note(s),and then drag and drop into the "star tag" in the left panel

• 8 months later...

Ahhhh, The latest update removed the special characters, replacing my stars with a box - I hope this is fixed because it wipes out the star solution.  Hopefully people did not have too many single character symbols since they won't be able to tell them appart.

• Level 5

Ahhhh, The latest update removed the special characters, replacing my stars with a box - I hope this is fixed because it wipes out the star solution.  Hopefully people did not have too many single character symbols since they won't be able to tell them appart.

What version did you upgrade to?

Over the past year, I have found the safest action with Evernote upgrades is to sit on the sidelines for at least a couple weeks and watch the forum for other users' upgrade results.

• Level 5*

The stars (★, ★★, ★★★, ...) are still here in the Windows version, at least on my machine, and I am using the latest public release. Usually the boxes means that the typeface that you are using doesn't support the characters you've chosen.

Archived