(Archived) Evernote for Android 3.5 Beta 1

Xavier_

Hi All,

We've just published a new update for Android, version 3.5 beta1 (revision 214993).

new in this update, save and continue:

• save a note and stay in editing mode. Edit longer notes and never lose any data.
  • the feature is available in the note composer (no grey bar on the tap on bottom)
  • next to the "done" button (save and close) you will find a save button, tap it to save your content.
  • if Evernote is paused or interrupted, the note will be automatically saved.

A few known issues remain and we are working on it:

- Attachment can be lost when a conflict occur (editing the same note at the same time on two different devices).

- Saving while a word is autocorrected blocks the text focus.

Please give it a try and let us know if you have any issue.

http://s.evernote.com/androidpreview

Thank you and happy new year!

Xavier

Evernote is getting better, but still needs a photo scanner like CamScanner (Android) or Jotnot or Qipit to make it better.

Photos orientation can be viewed left or right, but they are not saved with the correct orientation.

Another missing issue is taks, there is not a task reminder. Like Noteeverything.

Good job.

• Level 5*

@cafegua - how do you mean, Evernote "needs a photo scanner" ? If you run the desktop versions, connect a scanner. If you run mobile versions, download an app. If some of your scans save images in the wrong orientation, edit them correctly. And if you need a task reminder, use another app - Evernote doesn't (yet) do complicated dating.

Good to hear from you, but nicer if you can be more constructive...

Well I believe, I'm giving you ideas to build a better Evernote for Android... or mobile devices. Sorry if this did bother you.

None of the ~14 EN clients do anything with image editing, AFAIK. You'll need to use one of the suggestions Gazumped posted, since it's doubtful this would be included in the Android app any time soon, if ever.

• Level 5*

Nope -- I have no plans to root it, but you can do "sideloading" on the Fire. Basically, if you can get hold of the .apk file, you can install an app. Doesn't always succeed (don't know why), but in Evernote's case, it does. Couple of links that should help:

http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-sideload-android-apps-on-the-amazon-kindle-fire-in-3-steps/3179/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/11/kindle-fire-sideload/

Thank you! I will try that this week. I was dinking with EN on the KFire this a.m. Still seems kind of weird but could be b/c Android is totally new to me. I did test out offline notebooks though (based upon a forum post by someone this a.m.) and that seemed to work fine.

• Level 5*

BNF, it takes a bit of getting used to the differences between the Windows version of Evernote and the Android version. I like the Kindle version, but to do any serious note-taking I do still prefer the Windows version. The biggest drawback with the Kindle Fire is the lack of wi-fi access where I work. However, I do like the fact that if I have "spare" time I can tag with my Fire and then synchronize when I get home.

BTW, I found a program this weekend that allows me to access my home computer from my Fire - if the home computer is on. That is kind of cool as I would still have access to all my private EN folders if I needed to get them while traveling, etc (just move them to a synchronized notebook, sync, and I have them wherever I am). Just need to have wi-fi access ... have to find out if there is a Starbucks nearby.

• Level 5*

Yeah, I still haven't any facility with note-taking on the Fire. I am getting used to navigating around the UI for reading notes, though. We have wi-fi at work, which is great, but need better note-taking abilities (or I need to unlock Evernote's abilities).

Factman, I d/l'ed PocketCloud for my Fire and for Home, and it works OK. What did you find -- I know that they had a different RDP app running cheap or free in the App store.

Going to NYC this weekend, we'll see how we do for free access; I know that Starbucks and Pret a Manger both have that.

• Level 5*
Factman, I d/l'ed PocketCloud for my Fire and for Home, and it works OK. What did you find -- I know that they had a different RDP app running cheap or free in the App store.

I D/L'ed Splashtop - still working on how to get it to wake the PC (one more thing to check). Works well in the house, but haven't been able to test it from long distances because of the lack of wi-fi.

Just a little concerned about the security model for these applications ...

Archived