(Archived) Deleting notes from list - annoying behaviour

OldGrantonian

I periodically clean out old notes from the list of notes.

There's always some annoying and non-intuitive behaviour during this process.

My method is to start at the top of the list, then use the down arrow until I find a note to be deleted.

1) First annoyance.

When I click Delete, the note is deleted from the list. The note after the deleted note is then highlighted. That's all OK.

But the list then scrolls down until the highlighted note is now at the foot of the list pane.

The behaviour in other Windows applications is that the cursor or highlight remains in its original position. In other words, if the highlight was at the center of the pane before the note was deleted, then the highlight should remain in that position, with all the following notes moving up to fill the gap.

2) Second annoyance

With the highlight now at the foot of the pane, and if I don't want to delete that note, I click the down arrow.

The expected behaviour, based on other Windows applications, is that the highlight moves to the next note, which is below the foot of the pane. So the note should then move up by one position until the highlighted note is now visible.

The actual behaviour is that the highlight jumps to the first item in the list, so I then lose my place in the list.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest workarounds for this non-standard behaviour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I periodically clean out old notes from the list of notes.

There's always some annoying and non-intuitive behaviour during this process.

My method is to start at the top of the list, then use the down arrow until I find a note to be deleted.

1) First annoyance.

When I click Delete, the note is deleted from the list. The note after the deleted note is then highlighted. That's all OK.

But the list then scrolls down until the highlighted note is now at the foot of the list pane.

The behaviour in other Windows applications is that the cursor or highlight remains in its original position. In other words, if the highlight was at the center of the pane before the note was deleted, then the highlight should remain in that position, with all the following notes moving up to fill the gap.

2) Second annoyance

With the highlight now at the foot of the pane, and if I don't want to delete that note, I click the down arrow.

The expected behaviour, based on other Windows applications, is that the highlight moves to the next note, which is below the foot of the pane. So the note should then move up by one position until the highlighted note is now visible.

The actual behaviour is that the highlight jumps to the first item in the list, so I then lose my place in the list.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest workarounds for this non-standard behaviour.

This is my least favorite feature of Evernote too. It is not intrinsic at all. Very annoying. Going through and cleaning up should be easy to do.

• Level 5*

The behavior is inconvenient, for sure. But actually there is a workaround for the delete case, since you can multi-select in a note list. Having selected the notes that you want to delete, you can just go ahead and delete them, or if you are cautious, you can tag them with something unique, and filter on that so that you can see them all together in the same list. Then delete those items.

Archived