• 4 weeks later...

I have the same question as the OP. Unless I am missing something obvious, I can't find any "Display options" on the menu. I'm using the new beta on the Kindle Fire. The only items in the menu button are "sign out" and "full screen". The Evernote settings screen has nothing. What am I missing?

I too would prefer a list view over the snippet style.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to Android, Evernote and a tablet and it rather amazes me that there is no list view; only this calendar/ grid like view. Which makes it crazy difficult to use quickly in a business setting which is what I am trying to use it for. I don't want to say #FAIL as that is way to strong a word, but #FRUSTRATING is more appropriate. If the titles could at least stand out better that would be helpful. At least on my WP7 phone the titles stand out much, much more. I would think that there could be an interim release with that which would make lots of people happy very quickly. Otherwise I've been quite happy with it. Access from multiple devices has been very handy.

• Level 5*

Well, Evernote does seek to amaze. Mission accomplished. ;)

I'm not sure whether there's a technical reason that list view is not supported on Android. Maybe it causes too much traffic to fetch the attributes (though why it might be worse than fetching the thumbnails I don't know), or maybe it's that they haven't gotten around to it yet, or maybe they're just not planning to. Who knows?

I know that the titles do stand out fine on my device (Kindle Fire), not sure what they look like on your device.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont' think there is a technical reason , why list view is not supported on Android tablet version. I have an Android smartphone Google Nexus S, there you have the display options settings for sure. Only on my tablet, the HTC Flyer, this setting is missing. I deeply regret that this feature is not available for the tablet. Fast scrolling is impossible on my tablet. :(

• 1 month later...

The list view on tablet is on our list.

We are also working on the snippet view and the note view to improve the experience.

Thanks for the feedback.

That would be great.

I just bought a tablet with ICS and the first thing I did was install Evernote. I was terribly disappointed that there was no list view, thumbnails are hard to use, look awful and just seem a really retrograde step. I hope you can sort this soon.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also working on the snippet view and the note view to improve the experience.

Thanks for the feedback.

It would appear from the comments that no one really LIKES the snippet view. It's disorganized and hard to use, particularly if you are used to using Evernote on other platforms like your phone and Windows/Macintosh device. Why it was even included in the tablet version, much less as the forced view, is incomprehensible to me.

I don't want to be rude, but I just dropped $350 on a tablet SPECIFICALLY to use this application that I am discovering is not set up in any way like it SHOULD be, so I'm going to be a little blunt: If you want me to pay for a premium account, this view will move higher on the priority list. I'll register a paid account the day it arrives, but if it's not here by the end of May, then I'm moving on to another cloud service. I have too many projects I'm working on to let something this obnoxious interfere with my workflow. Evernote should look EXACTLY the same no matter what device I'm using to access it.

I won't want to move on, because I really like Evernote, but time and tide and all that. I'm 30,000 words into a novel written on Evernote and I have deadlines to meet. I don't have the time or the inclination to learn a totally new work pattern because a software engineer decided not to be consistent across multiple platforms. I apologize for putting it in those terms, but that's sort of honestly how I see it.

~D.

• Level 5*
It would appear from the comments that no one really LIKES the snippet view. It's disorganized and hard to use, particularly if you are used to using Evernote on other platforms like your phone and Windows/Macintosh device. Why it was even included in the tablet version, much less as the forced view, is incomprehensible to me.

Actually, I like the snippet view just fine; prefer it even.

I don't want to be rude, but I just dropped $350 on a tablet SPECIFICALLY to use this application that I am discovering is not set up in any way like it SHOULD be, so I'm going to be a little blunt: If you want me to pay for a premium account, this view will move higher on the priority list. I'll register a paid account the day it arrives, but if it's not here by the end of May, then I'm moving on to another cloud service. I have too many projects I'm working on to let something this obnoxious interfere with my workflow.

Hey, your money, your choice. That's all fine. But since we're all in blunt mode and all, here's a data point: you are one user. The worth of a premium account is $5/month ~= $60/year. At a guess, $60 is roughly what it costs to keep a software engineer in their seat for, what, a half hour (think salary, benefits, equipment, etc)? Now maybe there are other users who feel the same as you, that this issue is the sole reason that's keeping them from going premium, but that's not at all clear that there are all that many. But then balance that against the cost of implementing the list view, including development, testing, etc. This is the sort of decision that software development companies make all the time.

Evernote should look EXACTLY the same no matter what device I'm using to access it.

Given the disparate form factors, it's hard to imagine how this could be.

I won't want to move on, because I really like Evernote, but time and tide and all that. I'm 30,000 words into a novel written on Evernote and I have deadlines to meet. I don't have the time or the inclination to learn a totally new work pattern because a software engineer decided not to be consistent across multiple platforms. I apologize for putting it in those terms, but that's sort of honestly how I see it.

Modulo the myth that software engineers make all design decisions, again, it's your money, and your time, and since you deserve to have the software and workflow that you want, you get to make the choice.

It would appear from the comments that no one really LIKES the snippet view.

A handful of people on a message board vs the people who have not posted "Hey, I like the snippet view". (Ok, there's Jeff. :) ) There's no way for you or I to know what the result would be if every single active user voted. But your comment is not even close to being accurate.

• Level 5*

It's true. My wife says that I'm a handful sometimes. :)

All the above being said, I don't want to give the impression that I am against requesting features; I'm not. Certainly Evernote isn't either. And I think that Evernote listens. But there are two sides of this, and in my estimation, most companies cannot put themselves in a position where they must immediately stop what they're doing (and what they have planned to do) and implement every user's request. It's crazy-making to operate that way.

Burgers:

Having read the comments posted in this thread, which is comprised predominately of people who are requesting the list view be added because Snippet is not satisfying their requirements, there is ONE person defending the Snippet view-- SINCE DECEMBER. Therefore, with the information available in the Evernote forum, my information is as close to accurate as it is possible for me to be without being on the design team. I even said, and I quote (and YOU quoted): "It would appear from the comments in this thread that no one even LIKES the snippet view."

It would appear, from the comments in this thread, that my statement was 100% accurate. Snippet Defenders of the Faith have had six months to post their opinions and have not done so. I think it is reasonable to assume that there are more people who want list view as an option than there are people who ONLY want snippet view.

If you have a source that can prove otherwise, I'll happily look at it. You only have a best guess of the opinions of people who have not posted, but in the opinions of those who have, snippet as a default view isn't a favorite, and if you run a search on the entire forum (which was the first thing I did when I started researching this problem) you'll find that the general opinion is that other views are more effective and more organized, and when it comes to viewing their notes, most users actually want the ability to change views at WILL. There are times when Snippet view might even work for ME. I'm not asking for it to go away. I'm asking that I be allowed to choose the best workflow for my needs before I shell out cash for the software.

I've also read the OTHER threads complaining about this issue. Snippet is not well-liked across the forum-- at the very least it's not well-liked enough for users to come here and post about it, which is an indication that it's not really a groundbreaking way of looking at notes. It didn't make anyone so happy that they just HAD to come here and post about it, now did it? On the other hand, it's made a few people frustrated enough to come here and complain. I am one.

I think It's an atrocious design choice that doesn't even match the viewing methods used on the SAME software on the SAME operating system on a SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT platform (My HTC Sensation has list view. Why does my tablet not? It's the same effin' OS! Are you saying that running Evernote on a Macbook Pro and a Powerbook Titanium would result in a different interface? I don't think so!)

I know there are people who LOVE Snippet view. I am okay with that. I'm not going to tell someone else how they need to work. However, I also resent being told how I need to work, particularly when it's with the same software I'm using on two other pieces of electronics and it works FLAWLESSLY.

Jeff:

My point is that I like Evernote or I wouldn't be here. If I didn't like it then I wouldn't waste time trying to improve it. I don't agree with the design choice, and I don't care to support the company until they more closely meet my needs, something I hope will happen very soon because Evernote IS the best multi-platform writing tool I've yet found.

Here's the problem: Evernote is so good at what it does that it has revolutionized how I write. I've developed a specific workflow that has doubled my output since I started using it. (Almost literally: about a 90% increase in my daily word counts.) By doing this, it's made me see how close to perfection it is, and it's making me wonder if there is another software out there that might be EVEN BETTER, might actually BE perfection. So, should I wait for Evernote to "possibly" add this feature, or should I bag it and find something else that meets my needs? I've used MS Word to write both fiction and non-fiction for, what, fifteen years? I could use that and dropbox and it wouldn't be ANYTHING like the ease of use of Evernote, but it might be easier to organize...

I don't know and I DON'T want to find out. I want to see Evernote grab that golden ring. I want to see them knock the urine out of Google Docs and give Microsoft something to worry about.

I am a HUGE believer in supporting developers who meet my needs well. In fact, the FIRST note I put on Evernote was a list of apps on my phone that were in need of registration to the "pro" version. As I work through them, I pay the devs. Evernote has actually jumped a few places since I started writing this fiction project, but I don't want to pay for it until it's absolutely perfect. I mean... there IS a free version, and if it's only going to be ALMOST perfect then I can ALMOST pay by seeing the ads and having a restricted data limit.

It's not a THREAT; it's actually an incentive. I know I'm one person, but I tend to stick with something that works for a LOOONG time. I am still using a football play drawing software for my website that I purchased in 1998. I will be singing praises to Evernote for a while, even if I have to move on to another software. If nothing else, they showed me what COULD be done, even if they didn't quite do it themselves.

Personally, I think this is a moot point. Evernote does seem to have an active developing staff, and when they say they are working on this, I'm sure they are. Hell, it might even be in the next Beta for all I know. I am adamantly in support of this feature as soon as humanly possible to add, and the moment I see it, they get a check, unless I have to search elsewhere for something that meets my needs just that tad bit more closely instead.

I think that's fair.

~D.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback.

A vote here for a "snippet list" view.

We just got a tablet, and I eagerly installed my favorite application, Evernote.

But when opening it and playing for a few minutes, I was supremely disappointed. I can't tell you how much I hate the "grid of notes" view.

My favorite view is what I have on the desktop and web...a snippet view in a linear scrollable list with the note content at the right. I like the snippet view, but I like it in the list. What I can't stand is having to visually scan all over the page, up, down, left and right to find what I'm looking for. That just doesn't work for me. It's uncomfortable to use.

So please, please, please...replicate the way snippets are shown in the desktop app. I'll be eternally grateful!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived