(Archived) HOWTO: Move to different notes quickly?

Bonne

Idea

26 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

the feature seems fine and all, but if we are talking about priorities, this one is pretty far down on my list, if it even makes it on at all. i don't see me using it. i certainly don't see it as a deficiency or a problem. guess the op and i just have different use cases.

for me, it is far more important to achieve better parity with other platforms. date stamps, tagging differences (like a shortcut key for batch tagging), etc. i'd also like to see stuff like offline/online folders, plain text, better ui functionality (in snow leopard, at least, the panes don't resize well and the whole interface gobbles up screen real estate), access to more fonts, broken search operands, etc., etc.

Looks like the OP deleted their initial post--it's something we allow posters to do, out of respect for their rights to ask (and rescind) questions to the community. Closing.

This should be the 1st priority; it would make it 10000% more useable and useful in my opinion.

Reminder: Other people have different things that are most important for them. I really need search to work to use the Mac app to its full potential. I'd love more keyboard shortcuts—once the search bugs are fixed. I'm not sure how any one user can know what should be Evernote's first priority for its whole user base.

ok. It seems like pretty easy and fast to implement, but then I don't know anything about programming. It is because of this reason that I hardly use Evernote anymore, I got tired of aim and clicking.

Just imagine having to click on the tab itself to move to a different tab in web browsers, instead of being able to click on CTRL + Number. or CTRL Tab.

Foxit Reader is nice because it has tabs, and has shortcuts to move to a certain tab just like web browser. Adobe Reader is a pain to navigate between different PDF files. Evernote needs to have the same idea as Foxit Reader.

This should be the 1st priority; it would make it 10000% more useable and useful in my opinion.

Okay Bonne, I can't speak for Evernote, but please keep in mind that your request is one of many that have to be considered.

If I may, I think I understand where Bonne is coming from. Assume we're working with the List or Snippet view. If you're actively typing in one note and want to move to another note, there isn't a great way to do that from the keyboard. If there was a way to use something like Control+Tab to move between the Source List (Notebooks, Tags), Note List, and the currently selected note, that might give Bonne the functionality he or she desires. I know I could use something like that.

• Level 5*
Is anything being done for this feature? Is it coming any time soon? Is it still being considered?
If an Evernote Employee ever pre-announces a feature or gives you roadmap or promises you something will come come tell me or Gbarry. We'll straighten'em out

So no promises on this. Sorry!

If an Evernote Employee ever pre-announces a feature or gives you roadmap or promises you something will come come tell me or Gbarry. We'll straighten'em out

So no promises on this. Sorry!

• Level 5*

At what point of time is this feature going to be implemented? 1 month later? 3 months?

No one has ever said that it is going to be implemented.

Evernote do not pre-announce functionality.

Evernote do publicise a roadmap.

• Level 5*

I might be obnoxious but in what stage is the implementing of this feature in?

Not obnoxious. Maybe persistent :)

Evernote has a roadmap, and they may tell you if this is a feature they want to add (he said "noted," not "will do"), but they will not tell you when that will happen. If you have been following the "due date" feature requests, then you know that even when the Evernote CEO says something is coming, it might not show up for a while.

If you think about it, this is a product that is used all over the world by millions of people across more than a dozen platforms (I think). The point is that even small changes have big repurcussions, and you don't just toss things into the mix.

This is a good thing, in my opinion. Anyhow, I would counsel a bit of patience :)

I edited my previous post after you posted the latest reply. I use it like developing my ideas for things to be developed in technology, organizing my thoughts, planning, writing diary, composing writings to be asked on forums or composing emails (on that note, it would be nice to add a feature where you can post to a forum or send email right from Evernote)

Could you make this shortkey? CMD+SHIFT+arrow activates the column towards the arrow is pointing.

What are the implications?

By defocus, I just mean when you can tab around to the different controls instead of adding indents when tabbing. You'd also be able to arrow up and down in the controls (snippets, notebooks, etc) and not just arrow around the text in the note body.

I am curious as to how you use Evernote. Do you have your email auto-forwarding to Evernote so you want to read notes in the order they came in? Do you take notes for a class and need to study in the order the notes were taken in?

For the betas, go to Evernote >> Preferences... then Software Update

Check the box for: "Update to the beta versions when available"

This will mean you get beta software. Please understand the implications when you check the box :)

My flow would be when I have a writer's block while writing a certain note -- for example an email message I'm composing or outlining plans for the future -- I would like to move to a different one for refreshment, then move back to that note, etc.

I would like to navigate between the notes with ease. I am not sure if you understood what i meant becuase it would involve not only defocusing but refocusing, and not so much as for the sake of focusing or not but for the sake of moving to different note with efficiency (with key strokes) instead of aiming and clicking which is extremely disconcerting and annoying.

How do I get on the Beta Cycle?

It's because I'm using a laptop, so I need that extra space on the top to view texts.

So you want a keyboard shortcut to defocus the note when you're typing in a note. Can I ask again how you're using Evernote? What is your flow for needing to move between notes?

Also, if you're on our Beta cycles, you'll see a redesign Note Info Panel, which has less "space taken up on the upper side with the 'click to set location' 'click to set url' ..."

I'm not sure why this makes you lower your head to view notes and thus hurt your neck.

Can I ask your use case? What types of notes are you trying to navigate between? Is next note and previous note good enough or do you want some weird jumping down by 5 or 10 or jumping to end too?

Also, if you could not use the word retarded, that would be nice

To put it short, the functions that would be nice and pretty much essential to have would be:

While typing on a note, pressing the 'left arrow' key would lead u to the 'notes by date updated' column'. Pressing the left arrow key again would lead to the notebooks column. From there, pressing the right arrow would lead to the 'notes by date updated' column. From there one could press up and down (whic is possible right now) to choose the notes one wants to view/edit. Pressing the right arrow again would lead to the specific notes and put the cursor on the note so that you wouldn't have to click on the note to start editing.

Also it would be nice to be able to change the background color and it would be very nice if there wasn't so much space taken up on the upper side with the 'click to set location' 'click to set url' 'viewing (so many) notes from (a certain notebook)' which makes me lower my head down to view the notes and hurts my neck.

Can I ask your use case? What types of notes are you trying to navigate between? Is next note and previous note good enough or do you want some weird jumping down by 5 or 10 or jumping to end too?

Also, if you could not use the word retarded, that would be nice

• Level 5*

Generally I find that if I register on a message board and my first posts and start using terms like 'serious deficiency' and 'retarded' that I am unlikely to be helped out by any of the regular posters.

Indeed, if I went onto a new board and used the word 'retarded' then I'd probably deserve to be called 'ignorant' and 'repulsive' and a bit of a '*****'. Just my own personal expectations...

What action are you looking for to associate with a KB shortcut?

I find this works:

1. click on any note in the note list
  2. Move up/down one note using the up/down arrow keys
  3. OPT+UpArrow -- go to top note in list
  4. OPT+DownArrow -- go to bottom note in list

This is all standard Mac behavior.

Yes but you can't go from list to note and from note to list with a shortcut. Which means that moving up and down is useless as of now because one might as well just aim and click at once at the note instead of clicking on one of the list and then move down or up. And then when you have moved up or down you have to click on the note to start typing, how retarded is that?

• Level 5*

What action are you looking for to associate with a KB shortcut?

I find this works:

1. click on any note in the note list
  2. Move up/down one note using the up/down arrow keys
  3. OPT+UpArrow -- go to top note in list
  4. OPT+DownArrow -- go to bottom note in list

This is all standard Mac behavior.

Archived