(Archived) REQUEST: Sub-stacks

John Castle

Idea

Hi, I'd like to request the ability to create notebook stacks within stacks. I'll explain the use scenario:

One of my current stacks is "Business." I have multiple customers for my business, each of whom has their own set of notebooks. For example, one of my customers has a few separate folders:

-Victoria's Schedule

-Victoria's Research Materials

-Victoria's Invoices

What I would like to be able to do is create a heirarchy that looks like this:

-Business

---Victoria

-----Victoria's Invoices

-----Victoria's Research Materials

-----Victoria's Schedule

Currently, all of that can be done through tagging, I'm sure, but I'm much more comfortable with drilling down through the stacks and into the notebook I want than I am with using search -- which, if I'm not precise with my search terms, and I'm usually not, limits me to results that may not take me to the note I'm looking for.

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Not an uncommon request (along with subnotebooks, etc.), never heard any feedback from the Evernote folks that they're interested in doing this (they typically do not share their dev roadmaps)... but you never know. Still, I'd plan on sticking with tags, 'cause that's what's there. Suggest tags "Business", "Victoria", "Invoices", "Research", "Schedule", mix and mingle as required (and reuse for other customers).

• Level 5

What I would like to be able to do is create a heirarchy that looks like this:

-Business

---Victoria

-----Victoria's Invoices

-----Victoria's Research Materials

-----Victoria's Schedule

You could create multiple stacks and notebooks for your customers.

Putting Biz- in front of the customer's name in the stack will keep all the business stacks grouped together.

-Biz Victoria

---Victoria's Invoices

---Victoria's Research Materials

---Victoria's Schedule

-Biz Salvadore

-----Salvadore's Invoices

-----Salvadore's Research Materials

-----Salvadore's Schedule

What I would like to be able to do is create a heirarchy that looks like this: -Business ---Victoria -----Victoria's Invoices -----Victoria's Research Materials -----Victoria's Schedule
You could create multiple stacks and notebooks for your customers. Putting Biz- in front of the customer's name in the stack will keep all the business stacks grouped together. -Biz Victoria ---Victoria's Invoices ---Victoria's Research Materials ---Victoria's Schedule -Biz Salvadore -----Salvadore's Invoices -----Salvadore's Research Materials -----Salvadore's Schedule

Helpful. Thanks.

I am in a similar boat. As an attorney I have several clients each with their own subfolders. As their matter concludes I would like to move (or archive and not an xml file stored on my system; it defeats the purpose) their folders to an "Old clients" folder. It is very cumbersome to have to wade through all the old matters to find the one I am looking for. What solutions are coming????

-mark

I am in a similar boat. As an attorney I have several clients each with their own subfolders. As their matter concludes I would like to move (or archive and not an xml file stored on my system; it defeats the purpose) their folders to an "Old clients" folder. It is very cumbersome to have to wade through all the old matters to find the one I am looking for. What solutions are coming????

(emphasis mine)

Not an uncommon request (along with subnotebooks, etc.), never heard any feedback from the Evernote folks that they're interested in doing this (they typically do not share their dev roadmaps)... but you never know. Still, I'd plan on sticking with tags, 'cause that's what's there. Suggest tags "Business", "Victoria", "Invoices", "Research", "Schedule", mix and mingle as required (and reuse for other customers).

IE, use an "old clients" tag & then use -tag:"old clients" in your searches. Tags have been discussed at great length on the board. I'm sure the search function would yield many of the existing threads where solutions have been offered up.

• Level 5*

Or: you could just identify each client by using a unique tag (rather than having them be in a separate notebook). When a client becomes an old client, then search on their tag to find their related notes, and move those notes to the "Old Clients" folder.

I too would like to use sub-stacks to multiple levels.  I have been using a similar system in Mendeley, which also has tags, and the two (sub-folders & tags) work very well together to help me find things I filed away months or years ago.

I am a visual person, rather than a word person, I tend to remember where I put things, not what I labeled them with.

• Level 5*

I too would like to use sub-stacks to multiple levels.  I have been using a similar system in Mendeley, which also has tags, and the two (sub-folders & tags) work very well together to help me find things I filed away months or years ago.

I am a visual person, rather than a word person, I tend to remember where I put things, not what I labeled them with.

Well, since fully hierarchical notebooks / stacks don't exist in Evernote, and as it seems unlikely that they'll be coming around any time soon if at all, but tags *can* be nested, you can kinda / sorta do this sort of stuff using tags. I'd suggest you go in that direction.

Archived