Evernote when you're dead or incapacitated...

This thread caused me to remember that several years ago, I had an icon on my Windows desktop that said "Click here, if I'm dead". :) It opened up a Word document that pointed to a password protected Word document. The password was not in the original document, but was a "clue" that my husband would be able to figure out. The password protected Word document included info about how to get into my password manager & various other info I thought should be shared if I were dead or in a coma.

I pay the bills in the household & keep track of any important documentation for home repairs, big ticket purchases, etc. I also had some info about what I'd want done with my remains, blah, blah, blah. It included the password to my password manager, where all the bank & credit card login info is stored. The purpose was that if I died or was in a coma, my husband could get access to this stuff. I haven't kept up with this over the years & really need to put this stuff into Evernote. Copies of wills as well as Living Wills/DNRs, insurance policies, etc. should all be included. Then I would have the initial "portal" point to Evernote & then have a "___ Dead/Coma" notebook at the top that would have all the necessary info. This has actually become even more necessary, since I originally did it a few years back b/c of going paperless.

Oh, and existence/location of safe deposit boxes...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing!

Off-topic question about having others join in on your Evernote way of life: is your husband into Evernote OR are you taking steps to make them understand Evernote more? Reason I ask is: my wife is that person for me (your husband for you), and I'm wondering if I should start pushing (lol) OR exposing my wife to Evernote more and more so that such things (and many other things death and non-death related) can be easily handled by her when anything happens?

I hope that makes sense.

There are some helpful comments on this post:

http://discussion.ev...post__p__115636

Thanks J, :)

Will read that thread and the comments more. I guess I don't have to worry about the learning part a lot? What I was thinking was if I can (and should) focus more on basically making sure the people I'll be leaving such info for know how Evernote works (by me pushing them into it) or if that's something I shouldn't focus on at all.

Regards,

• Level 5

Thanks J, :)

Will read that thread and the comments more. I guess I don't have to worry about the learning part a lot? What I was thinking was if I can (and should) focus more on basically making sure the people I'll be leaving such info for know how Evernote works (by me pushing them into it) or if that's something I shouldn't focus on at all.

You're welcome.

I think your idea of showing a spouse how to work Evernote is a super idea.

Stick with the basics. Don't overload them with too much detail.

For instance, create a special notebook for the most important notes.

And give them a quiz a few times over the next month, just to be sure they grasp the concept.

A follow up quiz in 3-6 months would help reinforce the training.

Once they are comfortable with how to find the notebook. a Saved Search might also be helpful for other notes.

Archived