(Archived) Request(?): How to manage tags

aaaha

Idea

Hi everyone,

I started using evernote two days ago for one simple task. Now I find my self hammering everything into it ;-)

Loving the tagging function gave me a massive long list of tags. Wouldn't it be cool to select a tag and let all other non related tags disappear? I thought this would be great since it is possible to select more than one tag with the command key.

Is this function maybe already implemented and I haven't stumbled upon it yet?

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

10 replies to this idea

Loving the tagging function gave me a massive long list of tags.

You can nest tags to make the tag list shorter. I have tags for years so that I can tag bills, cards, letters, medical info, etc by year. But I put them all under a "years" tag so I can collapse it & not have to scroll through them. I use the Windows client but I think this functionality is in the Mac client, too. And to forewarn you, parent tags are not auto assigned by assigning a child tag. IOW, nested tags exists only to help organize your tags. So if I wanted each note to also be tagged "years", I would need to assign that tag, too.

At first thanks for your answers!

Here is a link that shows how I use tags.

1.) This format helps group similar tags together.

2.) It makes it easier to remember tag names.

http://discussion.ev...post__p__102279

I like your idea of grouping tags within tags. Especially the fam-* tags. But even then I still have quite a few tags.

You can nest tags to make the tag list shorter. I have tags for years so that I can tag bills, cards, letters, medical info, etc by year. But I put them all under a "years" tag so I can collapse it & not have to scroll through them. I use the Windows client but I think this functionality is in the Mac client, too.

Thanks for that detail. I wasn't familiar with the nesting function. I might play around with it.

What is a "non related" tag?

Lets say you choose a tag which is related to 15 notes.

Every one of these notes (now shown on the right) might have other tags in them as well.

These are (what I called them) related tags.

It would be great to decimate the tag list on the left so it only contains those related tags.

And if you click on one of those (remaining) related tags your number of notes on the right get decimated to those,

containing your two tags you clicked on the left. A logical AND (a feature I have been looking in Wordpress Plugins for decades).

Hope I was able to make this clear -_-

Is there any way of simulating this behavior?

• Level 5

At first thanks for your answers!

Here is a link that shows how I use tags.

1.) This format helps group similar tags together.

2.) It makes it easier to remember tag names.

http://discussion.ev...post__p__102279

I like your idea of grouping tags within tags. Especially the fam-* tags. But even then I still have quite a few tags.

I only do the tags for the immediate family members.

For my aunt or cousins who I seldom deal with, I will use the Evernote search for their name.

• Level 5

And if you click on one of those (remaining) related tags your number of notes on the right get decimated to those,

containing your two tags you clicked on the left. A logical AND (a feature I have been looking in Wordpress Plugins for decades).

Hope I was able to make this clear -_-

I usually keep the Evernote Left Panel (and tags) closed for more space for the notes.

To narrow the choices, I just keep adding terms to the search field to help narrow down my choices.

Example:

Obama (4,752 hits)

Obama Vacation (119 hits)

Obama Vacation Hawaii (27 hits)

Obama Vacation Hawaii Golf (12 hits)

Obama Vacation Hawaii Golf Taxpayer (4 hits)

• Level 5*
Lets say you choose a tag which is related to 15 notes. Every one of these notes (now shown on the right) might have other tags in them as well. These are (what I called them) related tags.

I think another way of saying this is that you have 15 notes tagged as "X" and each one of them might also be tagged as "Y" and "Z". My point here is that the tag is metadata attached to a note, so when you click on the tag name in the left you are seeing notes on the right that happen to have "X" as a tag, and these notes can be located anywhere, and otherwise completely unrelated to any of the other notes that happen to also have that tag. It isn't like Facebook Friends (as I understand them) who are either in one category or another. They can be in all categories or none. That is why this term "related" is a little confusing (to me).

It would be great to decimate the tag list on the left so it only contains those related tags.

Decimate means to kill off in great numbers (actually, according to the etymology, I think it means to kill one person out of ten in every military unit as punishment). Perhaps another way of saying this is" "It would be great if the tag list on the left only showed the other tags that appear in all notes having the chosen tag. In this case, for all notes with the tag "X," only "Y" and "Z" would appear on the left instead of still being able to see all tags from A-Z.

A logical AND (a feature I have been looking in Wordpress Plugins for decades).

It is logical for you, because you see the tags as having a relationship to one another, but in fact, they are completely unconnected. I don't have feelings either way about the proposed change myself. It basically replicates what you can already do, though, with a search. Put "tag:X" in the search bar and you get all those. Put "tag:X tag:Y" and you get only those with both X and Y. This seems like a more effective approach than changing the UI to impose a relationship between tags that doesn't actually exist (much like the "nesting" feature).

I only do the tags for the immediate family members. For my aunt or cousins who I seldom deal with, I will use the Evernote search for their name.

@jbenson2: Cousin Bob saw your post and told me to tell you that he will shun you in 2012 for this affront!

• Level 5*
What is a "non related" tag?

Lets say you choose a tag which is related to 15 notes.

Every one of these notes (now shown on the right) might have other tags in them as well.

These are (what I called them) related tags.

Hope I was able to make this clear ;)

Um, I think I know what you're saying. So, you do a search, say for tag "A", and wind up with a set of notes (this actually works for non tag searches as well, like date searches or text searches, etc.). Some of these notes have other tags. The way that it works on Windows, and I think the Mac as well, is that all of the tags labeling this set of notes are shown in the tag tree, if you've selected the "Hide unassigned tags" option (actually you see only the tags labeling those notes, plus any of their parent tags up to the root of the tag tree). If you've selected the "Show unassigned tags" option, then you see all tags in the notebook.

... if you've selected the "Hide unassigned tags" option (actually you see only the tags labeling those notes, plus any of their parent tags up to the root of the tag tree). If you've selected the "Show unassigned tags" option, then you see all tags in the notebook.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks a million! I'm using the german version and the translation for this function is something like "hide all not assigned tags" or "hide all unused tags".

Archived