(Archived) QUESTION: What's the reason for the 50 MB note size limit?

I'm just curious. I am another person that is using Evernote as my online lab notebook for research and have been stuck by larger than 50 MB data files that I have to find some convoluted way of linking to. I guess the limit keeps people from dumping their hard drive to Evernote and using it as a storage solution but, a) why would that be bad and B) there's already a total upload cap...

I've been normalizing my data as much as possible (separate notes for separate thoughts) but sometimes a single thought is >50 MB forcing me to artificially segment them. Any official insight?

I'm guessing since each note is a record in a database that it's b/c each note must be an equal size. So if each note were allowed to be, say one gig, there would be a lot of unused/wasted space in most of the other records.

We raised the notesize limit after 3 years of careful consideration for Premium members, and analysis of what the average "largest" PDF and Image files are, which are what Evernote is meant to store.

• Level 5*

Not necessarily -- blob fields may not require use of the maximum size allowable. I'm guessing it's just a bit arbitrary, like the maximum note, notebook and tag count limits.

• Level 5*

i'm guessing it's management thing - note size and overall monthly upload quotas have grown over time as they put into place the infrastructure and management to cope with the volume of data.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you please increase this limit????

It's so small in this day and age. What is the point in have a file limit when there is a cap on how much you can upload a month anyway?

It's really sad because it means I have to have ANOTHER program to store things over 50mb, such a hassle. I keep a lot of pdf's on evernote and its so easy to go over 50mb.

PLEASE INCREASE THIS!

• Level 5*

Let's say they increased it to 1GB. Then, every time you open that note to see a passage you highlighted, you'd be pulling down 1GB from the server just for that. Evernote has to supply any data you request, so I think that in terms of available capacity the 50MB probably saves them from a lot of server load.

• Level 5*

Just to chip in a random guess - I'd suspect that if Evernote started offering larger note sizes, people will

1. dump pictures, music and movie files into their convenient all-platform storage facility, and kill the download bandwidth by playing files live.
  2. complain that the total size is still not enough, whether it's 100MB or 1GB
  3. complain (along with the rest of us) that syncs and downloads aren't fast enough
  4. rubbish the service for not doing what it says it does...

• Level 5*

A jump from 50mb to 1GB is a bit over the top don't you think? I'm talking more along the lines of say at least 100MB.

Well, we get 1GB per month, so I figured that as a thought experiment, let's say we didn't have any cap. What would happen? This is a problem that I think they would have. Sure, 100, 200, 300MB etc. are all possibilities. My guess is that they had to draw a line somewhere and chose 50MB. I'd love for the limit to be increased, because I have a lot of files between 50 and 100 (and some as large as 1GB). But, gazumped is right. If it is going to mess up the service, then it isn't worth it to me.

• 4 months later...

I've read in this forum that if the upload file is larger than 50mb, then it can be segmented. Can someone please explain to me how i can do this?

I have pages of notes that I cannot upload because they are all larger than 50MB.

I love Evernote, but this restriction is driving me crazy. How can you tell that you've reached the limit and therefore you need to go to the next page?

• Level 5*

I've read in this forum that if the upload file is larger than 50mb, then it can be segmented. Can someone please explain to me how i can do this?

I have pages of notes that I cannot upload because they are all larger than 50MB.

I love Evernote, but this restriction is driving me crazy. How can you tell that you've reached the limit and therefore you need to go to the next page?

Hi. There are lots of how to explanations on the Internet. Here is a link to some YouTube videos.

split

optimize

Basically, when you see a file size larger than 50, you split it up into chunks that will be around 45 MB or so (to make sure you make it into the Evernote database--49MB files sometimes don't!). So, if it is 60 MB, divide the pages in half for two 30MB files.

Archived