(Archived) Feature suggestion: notebook descriptions or sticky/pinned notes

There are some notebooks that I would like to be able to give descriptions to. For instance, on how I have the notes in the notebook organized, reminders to myself about specific things to go back to in certain notes, or just a longer description than the title of the notebook. I think it would be cool if this could be as a new property for notebooks and displayed upon a right click (in Evernote windows) or down-arrow click (Evernote for Web) or at the top of the list of notes. If this isn't possible or desirable, perhaps it would be possible to enable "sticky" notes that would always be at the top of the notebook (though just in that notebook, not in the list of all notes).

Thanks for a great program!

• Level 5*

The closest thing you would have is probably just make a convention where you add a specially tagged note to each notebook, e.g., a note with a tag named, say, "Abstract", or "Purpose" or some such. For sticky notes, no, there's really not any facility. The notes that you see are in order of the current sort selected, and there's no way to order them otherwise. There are certainly ways to force certain notes to show, via tags.

My tagless workaround for this is to set a single note's creation date forward a year or so inside a notebook, so you essentially have a floating note that stays on top of any you create.

Well, until 2020 rolls around or whatever you set it to.

My tagless workaround for this is to set a single note's creation date forward a year or so inside a notebook, so you essentially have a floating note that stays on top of any you create.

Prefixing the note title with e.g. "_" (underscore), in addition to the creation date hack, will also make it sort to the top in Title ascending.

Prefixing the note title with e.g. "_" (underscore), in addition to the creation date hack, will also make it sort to the top in Title ascending.

Ah, good call. Done in my own personal notes.

• Level 5*

To my own tastes, prefixing titles with "_" is kinda hacky; but tags are a natural part of Evernote. I don't have a large number of tags, maybe 110-120, and one special tag wouldn't be a killer for me. But hey, modulo new additions like Notebook abstracts or other metadata, it's good to have choices.

Archived